• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chevy Express Wrap tips?

kstompaint

You said you have Oracal laminate... I hope it's 290. You should NOT use calendared vinyl on this, even the 3551 (which is better than most). You simply CAN'T use calendared laminate. There is absolutely no reason to relief cut anything on these vans. We've done several of them with 3951 & 290. Work the vinyl into the grooves and avoid tenting as much as possible, then heat set. Done.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I wouldn't apply anything but cast film and laminate in those creases.
3551 is a calendared film and will lift in a short amount of time.

I would rather avoid getting a new roll of wrap media and laminate as I also already have a roll of Oracal laminate for the wrap.

:birthday:

"Deposit Please"

I have a chevy Express, grooves aren't deep at all. You may be thinking about the sprinter, where the grooves are like the grand canyon.
I wrapped mine with 3551ra w/ 293. I didn't bridge, i fed, and did not tent to this day, and that was 2 years ago. I applied heat to possible trouble areas, i think that was "key" Also used thinner lam.

Letterbox Mike

Use the right material. You "may" be able to get 3551 to work but it's a big if, more than likely you'll be facing a failure, it is not intended for compound curves or creases near the size or depth of the wheel wells on the Express. Use a proper cast film, use primer in the deep recesses, and post heat sufficiently and you'll have no problems. Do not relief cut!

For what it's worth, 3551 is good but not worth the money when you can get a true cast for a little more. Don't cheap out on wraps, it'll hurt you big time. If you don't have anything else in stock, figure out a way to postpone until you can get the proper material, your customer will thank you and so will you wallet in a year. Do it right or don't do it at all...

kstompaint

3551 Has its place. The truck & trailer pictured is all done in 3551 & 290G. Given the amount of material used, the savings was significant and it performed well. On an Express, I'd definitely use 3951.

Attachments

• RPM.jpg
    RPM.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 87

SOA

3551 Has its place. The truck & trailer pictured is all done in 3551 & 290G. Given the amount of material used, the savings was significant and it performed well. On an Express, I'd definitely use 3951.

That wrap is Freakin' sick!!

AUTO-FX

Back in the early 90's I remember trying to overcome some customers obections to cut vinyl lettering versus painted lettering (There were still a few guys around back then hand painting a lot of stuff) and their complaint was that the vinyl would peel up and get crappy in a short a period of time- and they had witnessed it. Some vinyl shops around here were doing everything with crappy calendered and yeah, it wouldnt last long and boy did it get crappy looking! So these dummies were HURTING THE INDUSTRY USING THE WRONG FILM, just so they could save some money and offer a lower price just to get the job, or net a little more profit. Todays calendered is much better than it used to be, and only SOMETIMES is it an appropriate choice for vehicle applications, but choose wisely so you dont hurt yourself later on down the line.

MarioDesign

I would recommend 3M IJ380 wrapping film. Its awesome stuff and even though it might be overkill the peace of mind is worth it.

4R Graphics

Use the right material its worth it in the end. Oracal 3551 RA is good but not for this kind of application. I use it on trailers that have small rivets all day long. We are moving over to the Supercast for everything its not that much more and we dont have to wory about the application it will go almost anywhere. So one material for all wraps makes install easier and printing is simplified one profile.

mikey-Oh

i'd love to wrap a van... after the polaris rzr and my bosses kawasaki 650 prairie... the "deep" recesses of a van are welcome!!!