• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chevy Ford or Tesla?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
With some car companies getting into the ventilator business who do you trust with your life?

I own an El Camino and a Ford F150. The Ford is running and the El Camino is not, but I can work on the Chevy without a scanner & laptop so I'm not sure.
Don't know much about Teslas but an all-electric ventilator might be the better choice over one running on high octane or E85.
Thoughts?

ikarasu

Teslas are revolutionary... They have some pretty great minds working for them and designing things.

That being said... A ventilator isnt a car, theyre relatively complex to make and involve a lot of complex software. My 2019 ford F150 has broken down 2 times because they cheaped out on a wire harness, and the place they put it in the vehicle causes it to rub and short out... making the engine think its overheating and go into protection mode, violently shaking if you drive about 20 KM/H.

Would Tesla do better? They're known for making cheap, non lasting products to produce them for as cheap, and as fast as they can.... I wouldn't trust either with my life!

Sounds like theyre not making full ventilators, most are just helping with production in some way or form though... Producing parts needed for the manufacturers of the ventilators. Hopefully they understand a life saving device needs a bit better quality control than a vehicle does! One failed part on a ventilator could be the difference between life and death.

But to answer your question, I'd trust Tesla because they're more technology driven than Ford. :D but if I were to end up in a hospital, I'd be a bit scared if I saw a ford or Telsa logo on the ventilator rather than a real one!

signage

But to answer your question, I'd trust Tesla because they're more technology driven than Ford. :D but if I were to end up in a hospital, I'd be a bit scared if I saw a ford or Telsa logo on the ventilator rather than a real one!

So if you go into the hospital make your own label with the company you trust, and put it on the ventilator you are hooked up to!:omg2::tongue:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Teslas are revolutionary... They have some pretty great minds working for them and designing things.

That being said... A ventilator isnt a car, theyre relatively complex to make and involve a lot of complex software. My 2019 ford F150 has broken down 2 times because they cheaped out on a wire harness, and the place they put it in the vehicle causes it to rub and short out... making the engine think its overheating and go into protection mode, violently shaking if you drive about 20 KM/H.

Would Tesla do better? They're known for making cheap, non lasting products to produce them for as cheap, and as fast as they can.... I wouldn't trust either with my life!

Sounds like theyre not making full ventilators, most are just helping with production in some way or form though... Producing parts needed for the manufacturers of the ventilators. Hopefully they understand a life saving device needs a bit better quality control than a vehicle does! One failed part on a ventilator could be the difference between life and death.

That sounds like a pretty sketchy issue! Have you been happy with it otherwise?

I've never been a die hard Ford fan but I'm on my 3rd F-150 (2018). The first two were absolutely bullet-proof and other than oil changes (not as often as should) and brake pads, I didn't have to fix ANYTHING over the 4 year lease.

This last one is another story. Not sure if you have the 5.0 V8 or have heard about the issues with them... but they have issues with too much oil consumption. First time I went for an oil change after getting it the kid at the quick change place mentioned it was lower than it should be given the mileage. I didn't think much of it, but our neighbors at the shop have a couple of them and mentioned that Ford has a service bulletin (which most dealerships will pretend doesn't exist) stating they know about the excessive oil use. Their remedy is to change the PCV valve, do an oil change, and have you monitor the usage. The dealer I went to put such a half-a$$ effort into keeping me informed about the process that I put the same effort into monitoring the usage, so we'll see how they deal with it when I bring it in again. Basically, if it shows that it has used X amount of oil during the period, they need to replace the motor. The WHOLE motor. Of course they're trying to be cheap and apparently in some cases are putting rebuilds in, probably with the exact same issue. I'd rather not go to the dealer these days (trying to avoid going in public/retail places as much as I can) so I'll probably just do another quick-change and deal with it when all this virus business is over.

I've also had other weird/random issues....my sunroof randomly shattered last week(from the inside), it has leaked oil when in our shop for a while, the rear door locks jam/freeze (recall), there was an issue with the block heater cord (recall), and now my box/tailgate/roof brake lights are shorting out or something because they turn on and off non-stop when it's off/parked (found lots of cases online-I think it has something to do with the switch for the box lights).

Makes me wonder if I'll get another F-150 when this lease is up. At the end of the day I'll get all these things fixed and then turn it in, so don't really care about long-term reliability, but makes me wonder if their build quality is going to continue to decline. Unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of any of the other trucks (although the new GMC Sierra Denali's are slowly growing on me) but maybe by the time my lease is up I'll only be able to afford a ford focus. Who knows!

Johnny Best

Elon Musk is getting 750 million from the state of New York to make ventilators in his Tesla gigafactory in Buffalo.
That being said the guys who made my 2002 Ford F-150 get my vote. Have a friend who owns a Tesla and it is so heavy that when you go over a bump it hard you. It does get up to speed really fast though.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'd put my money on a Dyson since they already make things that both suck (vacuum sweepers) and blow (hand dryers). Basically, that's all a ventilator is....a machine that sucks and blows.

All of the vehicle companies out there make just one or the other.

JB

ikarasu

That sounds like a pretty sketchy issue! Have you been happy with it otherwise?

I came from a dodge - It got to 170,000 KM without needing anything except scheduled maintenance done on it, so I loved it!

Then we got a F150... probably 6 months ago? Because someone crashed into the dodge. I do like the F150 better, more room in the back... It's a bit of a shorter box, but all that means is I cant bring 10 FT panels into the shop... everything else fits good.

One morning I was driving into work... and the check engine light came on. I checked my phone, it was actually pretty nice that it told me exactly what was wrong... Engine overheat. I thought that was weird since I started it 1 minute ago and it was -5 degrees outside... popped open the hood... it was cool to the touch. So I kept driving into work... and I guess it has a new protection mode to make sure you dont keep driving it while its overheating... it shook violently if you went over 30 KM/h. We called and got it towed in... the dealer was nice, but they couldnt figure out why it was overheating for 2 days.

Then they called...said after checking everything out, they found out there is a service bulletin and its a common issue in the 2019s. Theres a wire harness that overheats and shorts and causes the issue. They said they need to remove the motor to get to it... and it's a 2 man, 6 hour job, and they were booked up for a week and a half and couldnt get to it... So they disabled the error and sensor and said I could drive it fine, and they scheduled a date in 2 weeks to fix it.

As always, it worked great.... until I was scheduled to do a night install, drive to 15 stores to install a campaign - My first stop was a city 2 hours away.... Can you guess where I was when it broke down again? :mad: I had to argue with the ford roadside assistance that It needs to be towed back to my city where the original ford dealer diagnosed it... took a bit of hassle but they did it. I then demanded a courtesy vehicle.... which is good because it took them 2 more weeks to fix it. They tried to repair the wire harness like the service bulletin says, but they said it still threw an error... So they had to order a new one.

I'm hoping its fixed for good... and its not going to short out on me again. Thats the only issue I've had... I understand shit happens, so I'm not holding it against them. We've had installs fail and had to go back to fix it..so something like this, while inconvenient... it happens. We've had it for 6 months, well.. 5 if you dont count the time its been in the shop :D Still dont regret the purchase, hopefully that was the only gremlin in it and it lasts us another 150,000 km before anything breaks.

Issue aside, love the truck though - my courtesy vehicle was a ford fusion too... That was a kind of cool vehicle. Not a tesla, but still nice!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I came from a dodge - It got to 170,000 KM without needing anything except scheduled maintenance done on it, so I loved it!

Then we got a F150... probably 6 months ago? Because someone crashed into the dodge. I do like the F150 better, more room in the back... It's a bit of a shorter box, but all that means is I cant bring 10 FT panels into the shop... everything else fits good.

One morning I was driving into work... and the check engine light came on. I checked my phone, it was actually pretty nice that it told me exactly what was wrong... Engine overheat. I thought that was weird since I started it 1 minute ago and it was -5 degrees outside... popped open the hood... it was cool to the touch. So I kept driving into work... and I guess it has a new protection mode to make sure you dont keep driving it while its overheating... it shook violently if you went over 30 KM/h. We called and got it towed in... the dealer was nice, but they couldnt figure out why it was overheating for 2 days.

Then they called...said after checking everything out, they found out there is a service bulletin and its a common issue in the 2019s. Theres a wire harness that overheats and shorts and causes the issue. They said they need to remove the motor to get to it... and it's a 2 man, 6 hour job, and they were booked up for a week and a half and couldnt get to it... So they disabled the error and sensor and said I could drive it fine, and they scheduled a date in 2 weeks to fix it.

As always, it worked great.... until I was scheduled to do a night install, drive to 15 stores to install a campaign - My first stop was a city 2 hours away.... Can you guess where I was when it broke down again? :mad: I had to argue with the ford roadside assistance that It needs to be towed back to my city where the original ford dealer diagnosed it... took a bit of hassle but they did it. I then demanded a courtesy vehicle.... which is good because it took them 2 more weeks to fix it. They tried to repair the wire harness like the service bulletin says, but they said it still threw an error... So they had to order a new one.

I'm hoping its fixed for good... and its not going to short out on me again. Thats the only issue I've had... I understand **** happens, so I'm not holding it against them. We've had installs fail and had to go back to fix it..so something like this, while inconvenient... it happens. We've had it for 6 months, well.. 5 if you dont count the time its been in the shop :D Still dont regret the purchase, hopefully that was the only gremlin in it and it lasts us another 150,000 km before anything breaks.

Issue aside, love the truck though - my courtesy vehicle was a ford fusion too... That was a kind of cool vehicle. Not a tesla, but still nice!

It's crazy the amount of wires and connectors in vehicles today. I have a 2019 Chev Silverado 2500 and there are bundles of wires all over the place... Some of them run over hot parts of the engine.

WildWestDesigns

It's crazy the amount of wires and connectors in vehicles today. I have a 2019 Chev Silverado 2500 and there are bundles of wires all over the place... Some of them run over hot parts of the engine.

This is pretty much it and the bigger you go with your vehicles, the less space for everything ironically. I actually had room in a 2014 F150 engine bay, but my old 2006 6.0 DRW, not an inch.

Going back to overheat, I have a JD mower that they decided to put coolant sensor right next to the exhaust manifold. During peak summer months after a couple of hrs it would shut off and wouldn't be good for any length until the next day. Not good when dealing with acres of fields to get done.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Had an 84 f150 with a 300 straight 6. You could just about sit inside the engine bay.
Most everything now is canbus wiring. Not doing much with it yourself anymore.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Had an 84 f150 with a 300 straight 6. You could just about sit inside the engine bay..

I had an 86 Suburban and that's how I fixed stuff. Had to climb up and I could sit in the engine compartment to reach around and fix stuff. Accidentally busted an A/C line putting my foot in the wrong place though. After many miles I sold it. It leaked oil and you had to keep it full, and I told the dude that bought it from me that... He threw a rod in the first week driving it across the state... Idiot.