• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chrome Vinyl

BillyBoy86

I've got a customer looking for some mirrored chrome lettering on his van.
all the mirror vinyls i'm finding are listed as 2 year durability.
Are there any of these rated for longer?
do you have a recommended brand or series that you prefer?
I don't deal with too many of the specialty vinyls, so any help would be appreciated.
thanks!
Bill

fresh

we use R-tape brand, and it holds up well. That being said, it doesn't have a long life. We always tell our customers that it may fail within a short time period and its the risk they take when using it.

BillyBoy86

we use R-tape brand, and it holds up well. That being said, it doesn't have a long life. We always tell our customers that it may fail within a short time period and its the risk they take when using it.
I've used r-tape before for something,.... i think it was just a metallic silver, but never on a vehicle. it's an option i can give him though. thanks!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Holds up pretty well i take it?
i'll look into, thanks!
I think we installed it a couple years ago now and haven't had any issues. We put a test piece on the owner's truck around 5 years ago and it was still going strong when he sold the truck 6 months ago. DO NOT use a torch to install and also be careful not to scratch it!

BUCKY

CHROME VINYL MIRROR

• Bright Chrome plated mirror finish
    • 2 mil high gloss film
    • 10 year non-tarnish indoor/outdoor non print surface
https://www.realgoldinc.com/#Products Head
How well does this material hold up on Semis thru the Blue Beacon abuse? I read the warranty claims but that always depends on exposure to elements which is valid.
All these other products listed on this thread have no warranty and failure within a year.

BillyBoy86

How well does this material hold up on Semis thru the Blue Beacon abuse? I read the warranty claims but that always depends on exposure to elements which is valid.
All these other products listed on this thread have no warranty and failure within a year.
i contacted them,. this is out of stock while they "reformulate".....no idea when they'll have it again

BUCKY

i contacted them,. this is out of stock while they "reformulate".....no idea when they'll have it again
Ahhhh....and there it is. I am guessing they will never have it again. Unless Real Gold has their own processing plant (which I doubt)
I suspect the company they bought it from was the same company we got it from. They were hit by a Tsunami and are not rebuilding.
No processing companies will invest into making a chrome film again that is durable because of the lack of demand is what I am told.
You had me all excited there for a minute as we actually let a fleet client go who demands chrome film on their trucks. The sales loss
sucks but not having to re-do their trucks all the time and having our name drug thru the mud due to it going bad is a better pay off.
The R-tape film was what we tried last with bad results. The wrap chrome manufactures express zero warranty and do not recommend using it for
cut graphics so we are not willing to try that.
It is a shame because we get a lot of inquires for it.

BillyBoy86

Ahhhh....and there it is. I am guessing they will never have it again. Unless Real Gold has their own processing plant (which I doubt)
I suspect the company they bought it from was the same company we got it from. They were hit by a Tsunami and are not rebuilding.
No processing companies will invest into making a chrome film again that is durable because of the lack of demand is what I am told.
You had me all excited there for a minute as we actually let a fleet client go who demands chrome film on their trucks. The sales loss
sucks but not having to re-do their trucks all the time and having our name drug thru the mud due to it going bad is a better pay off.
The R-tape film was what we tried last with bad results. The wrap chrome manufactures express zero warranty and do not recommend using it for
well.....crap

particleman

What issue are you having with R-Tape? I have whole lot of this in use on boats and it is not something that we get complaints or failures hardly ever. We've been using it 4+ years now. It isn't conformable though it won't do rivets.

The only other long term option I know of is Convex. It is super expensive though.
http://www.convexvinyl.com/convexchrome/

unclebun

We use R-Tapes outdoor series (rated 3 years) and just tell the customer it's the cost of doing mirror chrome lettering. If you're going to have to be the one to change it in the future, always layer it on an intermediate vinyl outline. (We use Avery 750, usually black). Makes removal so much easier.

BillyBoy86

We use R-Tapes outdoor series (rated 3 years) and just tell the customer it's the cost of doing mirror chrome lettering. If you're going to have to be the one to change it in the future, always layer it on an intermediate vinyl outline. (We use Avery 750, usually black). Makes removal so much easier.
i've got a black outline in his design anyway....so that'll work out fine