• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chrome wrap... it may be real this time...

Vinh1219

I contacted Alsa today and they going to send me a Sample . Just call and tell them your interested in the material and they'll send you a sample. Ask for IKE .

CheapVehicleWrap

Avery had a chrome vinyl at the SGIA show here in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago. They said it is still in the developmental stages, but will be released in 2012.

AND... (they didn't tell you), it'll work and stick in 2020.

By "released in 2012", do they mean they're installing it by Christmas and it will fall off by New Years?

signmeup

Here is a link to Topflite Monokote. http://www.monokote.com/metallic.html
It is a shrink film for R/C model airplanes. Has been around for ages. Very chrome. The stuff is a heat shrink film but it also stretches a little with heat. It comes in a 2'x 6' roll for about 15 bucks or 2' x25' roll in lots of colours. It may be useful for small jobs.

Forgot to mention... this has heat activated adhesive. It isn't stick backed and won't stick without being heated. R/C modelers use a little iron on a stick and a heat gun.

letterman7

I've got a sample of the Alsa stuff. Very interesting... and very thick - like 4 mil or so. When I talked with the rep he said that it needs to be clearcoated for outdoor extended use... um.. no. But it does conform reasonably well.. just don't over-stretch it or it becomes very translucent.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Those are real. Those were done using a spray system. The same company linked in the thread Alsa sells these systems as well. The stuff has to be done very quickly and rinsed almost immediate after the activator. At the very start of the video you see like 3 guys working a large hood - almost need multiple people spraying it on large panels like that. The stuff is insanely good though - I've seen it applied first hand. It looks about as close to real chrome as I've seen - not quite but very very close. It is essentially plating but not electroplating - it uses metal in solution like plating but uses a chemical activator immediatley prior to the metal solution to cause it to bond to the surface. The process from applying and rinsing the activator and applying and rinsing the metal solution must be done very very quickly.

letterman7

Silver nitrate solution and a rinse of salt water (basically) to let the silver precipitate to the surface. Don't know what the primer treatment is, though... thought about trying a home mix to see what happens. Nothing ventured and all that!

jnataros

The chrome wrap media just became available to our shop yesterday; we should be receiving our first roll in the morning... I'll post up some details when it gets in, but our supplier said it was the first delivery of it in the greater Austin Area...

Josh

JoshLoring

jnataros said:
The chrome wrap media just became available to our shop yesterday; we should be receiving our first roll in the morning... I'll post up some details when it gets in, but our supplier said it was the first delivery of it in the greater Austin Area...

Josh

What's the brand?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
my car:D

too much for full wrap but it looks amazing as an accent

Attachments

• 287730_459273657424832_503561983_o.jpg
    287730_459273657424832_503561983_o.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:

heyskull

A local car franchise asked us to do a chrome wrap on a off roader we hit them with a huge price mainly due to never doing a chrome vehicle.
They ended up sending it to one of our main competitors who wrapped it for quarter of what we quoted!
My business partner was at a local car show where this company was showing their current vehicles and new models and this vehicle was there.
It was positioned at the very rear of their site and it was as if they were ashamed of it.
My business partner managed to get a real close look at it and in their words "what a mess!".
Joins were their shouldn't be joins, splits, scratches and failures and it had only been on the vehicle 2 weeks!
It looks great as it whizzes past at 50MPH but once stopped it looks horrific..
I'm glad I stuck my price so high as the company who wrapped this must be thinking it is such a bad advert for them.
I have since been told the car franchise who originally ordered this are refusing to pay for it.
Chrome looks great as a wrap but I reckon over 70% of your material would end up in the bin.
Chrome wrap still isn't as conformable as normal wrap and I reckon you would have to choose the vehicle it was to be applied to with care as wrapping round curves is nigh on impossible.

SC

rjssigns

Designer Wraps of Millville, NJ did a Lambo with chrome. They tinted it green with what they call their "secret sauce". It is in the latest Sign and Digital Graphics mag. SDGmag.com

Glad I could help.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Btw that is a 3M chrome on my scion. Pssst.. its not on the market yet!

It was thick.. laminated IJ40 kinda thick.

ESBG

project debuting this week with Avery's chrome :

Attachments

• s1_1.jpg
    s1_1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:

CanuckSigns

Looks cool in theory, but unless you have a lot of drug dealers or rap singers in your area, I can't see why anyone would want this!

rjssigns

Sign Builder Illustrated cover featured a green chrome Lambo wrap. It was done by Designer Wraps out of Millville, NJ.