• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Classifieds plug-in. PLEASE get rid of.

ProWraps

this module sucks so bad, i cant even find my own ad i placed. not to mention when i left it out of frustration to back to the forum index, it cleared my forum cookie argh!

as far as moderation, i could care less if people post negative ****e on my ad. all it does is bump my ad up. we are all adults here.

to not have the ads listed on the forum index like the other posts is horrible. its just a hole.

fred, your stats may be something to think that is justifies itself, but in reality, they are only numbers. numbers that would be MUCH higher, if the classifieds were a regular board.

i dunno, i just thing its a real shame that the classifeds are the way they are.

the forum i ran for 10 years, the HEART of the forum was the classifieds.

Colin

Because it is open to posting. And the posts aren't generally all that nice. Then there is the administrative end of charging for and deleting expired ads by hand and then policing the pages. All time consuming.

Hmmm. I guess it's a choice you guys need to make whether to "control" a classified section. After all, what deleterious thing(s) might happen if it were just let to run by it's own volition? And I guess too, y'all need to decide whether you really need to charge money for this.

J Hill Designs

Prowraps i just clicked the classified link, looked down to member to member ads, clicked for sale, and boom yours is right there...now I know I am smarter than the avg bear, but cmon, its nowhere NEAR hard to find...

ProWraps

thats not what i see.

and when i click on "my ads" nothing comes up.

module sucks.

Attachments

• classifieds.jpg
    classifieds.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 44

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
thats not what i see.

and when i click on "my ads" nothing comes up.

module sucks.

The reason your ad is not showing up is that you clicked on recent ads instead of just browsing to the ad as others did. Your ad would show up in recent ads if you had included a picture of your items which is recommended in the ad creation form. Here's a link to your ad.

The application used for our classifieds is published as a solution for a number of different forums and they have taken some approaches that are best understood by reading what I've written in the help files. Placing an ad is very easy to do but there are some differences we point out. Choosing not to use the classifieds is like buying a license for Adobe Creative Suite and then not using Illustrator because the tools are different from Photoshop.

For those who would like to become more familiar with the classified section, I suggest you take a few minutes and read the posts I made that explain its use. The current classified section represents a lot of work to get setup and has lots of features and improvements over our old forum approach. If you choose to not take advantage of our classifieds, the loss is yours.

qmr55

Fred, can we add a link to the classifieds on the nav bar? Have seen this done on other forums before also I've seen them make the classifieds button yellow or some other color to better catch the users eyes.

Yes? No?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hmmm. I guess it's a choice you guys need to make whether to "control" a classified section. After all, what deleterious thing(s) might happen if it were just let to run by it's own volition? And I guess too, y'all need to decide whether you really need to charge money for this.

Colin, had you comprehended the relevant posts you would understand that the old forum system of classified ads was a total PITA. We took steps to remedy that by turning off reply privileges because of the flame fests that were occurring. The deleterious things that were happening is classified advertisers were complaining or just out and out leaving.

As to the charging of money ... we charge for a non subscriber to advertise in our For Sale category. All others are free to all members. Under the old system, only merchant and premium subscribers could post an ad. So the newer, current system provides more free access than did the old one.

So yes we made our choices and decisions. And I would guesstimate that the overwhelming number of replies in this thread claiming a preference for the old system were made by members who have never taken the time to read the information available about the current system.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, can we add a link to the classifieds on the nav bar? Have seen this done on other forums before also I've seen them make the classifieds button yellow or some other color to better catch the users eyes.

I suppose we could but that wouldn't get members to read about how to use the classifieds.

More to the point, why should the classifieds be emphasized over Product Reviews, Photo Gallery, Network Registry and other items that appear in our Main Menu? There are already nine or ten (depending on what page you are on) links in the Nav Bar. Folks with 3 : 4 monitors might start having problems if we start adding more links.

Border

Would it be possible.....To leave the ads section as is and add the ability of the ad creator to post a thread linking to their classified? But a thread where only the ad creator can post comments, thereby giving the ad creator the ability to bump his thread every once in while while keeping all other comments, good or bad, from being posted.
And also could you allow the original creator of the ad and the thread the ability to delete them both when the item is sold?

Just a thought.
Would this even be possible?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Would it be possible.....To leave the ads section as is and add the ability of the ad creator to post a thread linking to their classified? But a thread where only the ad creator can post comments, thereby giving the ad creator the ability to bump his thread every once in while while keeping all other comments, good or bad, from being posted.
And also could you allow the original creator of the ad and the thread the ability to delete them both when the item is sold?

Just a thought.
Would this even be possible?

It would be possible but complicated. Our current system allows the member to post one thread in the appropriate forum pointing with a link to the classified ad. Bumping and discussion is allowed. Our current policy is to treat such threads as the property of the OP and any replies to it not related to legitimate interest in the item offered may be deleted on request. I would rather handle deletion requests than to give deletion permission to the OP which I think is a reasonable response to your suggestions without changing a thing.

qmr55

I suppose we could but that wouldn't get members to read about how to use the classifieds.

More to the point, why should the classifieds be emphasized over Product Reviews, Photo Gallery, Network Registry and other items that appear in our Main Menu? There are already nine or ten (depending on what page you are on) links in the Nav Bar. Folks with 3 : 4 monitors might start having problems if we start adding more links.

I think it should be added for easier accessibility but not emphasized at all.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Hmmm, I renewed my ad a week ago and I noticed it is not there anymore under outsource services. What gives?

I get the monthly request to renew and I know for a fact that I clicked on the link and took the steps like i have done for over a year

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Ok scratch that. I found the link and clicked again. Maybe I accidentally clicked on the "sold" link. It is back up. The planets are aligned, all is good

iSign

...And I would guesstimate that the overwhelming number of replies in this thread claiming a preference for the old system were made by members who have never taken the time to read the information available about the current system.

and in further support of your position, I would guesstimate that a vastly more overwhelming number of members who do NOT have a preference for the old system exists as a silent majority, because they either don't care, or they don't care to comment because it works... and in fact they (we) "work" also, and don't always take the time to add supportive comments...

so, while a seemingly overwhelming (like what? a dozen?) number of members are dissatisfied... there are probably thousands who are satisfied! (even if we are ignorant or uninformed... :rock-n-roll::banghead::covereyes: )

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If only the NHB forums were still open.
Then there would be a place for drama and anal references could be enjoyed by all who so chose without fear......

wayne k
guam usa

btropical.com

Fred If you could sell some curse words on there , this new art/freedom of speech thing got me a little taken a back ....... at our moose club we had an upside down umbrella hanging from the ceiling quarter a curse word .............. i could be in like say 15 bux paypal for charity //// and how much for a bushel ?