• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cleaning plotter fans

slappy

Okay, i have the puppy here at the shop today and he knocked over his food. It was under my Ioline Plotter where this happened.
I used it earlier today so it's been on. But as i was picking up the food, i finally found the fan to the thing.... on the bottom.

My question is, there is alot of dust it looks like in there. I want to blow it out but don't want to blow the dust up inside it and ruin anything since the fan is on the bottom. Any suggestions. It probably has never been cleaned knowing the guy that worked here before and i've been here since 05 and i haven't cleaned the fan out cause i never knew there was one, just thought it was how the machine sounded when powered on. The only thing i do is take the side off where the controls are and tighten the pulleys, clean that out, wipe the area where the blade cuts with alcohol and clean my pinch wheels.

slappy

ah!.... a vacuum... like i would have figured that one out on my own

thank you!

i clean the wheels with alcohol

cOrKinSA

Do you ever rest Stephanie? Everytime I read your adventures all I can vision is you in that avatar image. So I can only imagine you squating down looking up at that fan.
Why does this for some reason not escape my mind. Oh GOD! Is that described as a fetish?! AAAHHHH!!!!!!!

Techman

actually, that fan is there for a reason. It is not to cool the plotter system. Good plotter use that fan a part of the vacum system. Look along the front edge of your cutter. See those little holes?

They are there to allow the vacuum to suck the material down for an accurate cut. IF you got no fan then u have a cheapo and no wonder you get skewed cuts.

That vacuum system will usually keep the inside of your cutter pretty clean.