• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning UV ink off flatbed

Rachel Bigelow

Need help cleaning off years of built up ink on HP Scitex FB700. I'm soaking it with alcohol and using high tac vinyl to take it off. It's very time consuming to only clean a small section. I am a fairly new employee, and I'm already having trouble printing .04 Styrene.

Attachments

• 60461481934__CAD73C00-6002-42FF-8A0E-B6F40F73F215.JPG
    60461481934__CAD73C00-6002-42FF-8A0E-B6F40F73F215.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 601

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Would something like aircraft stripper on a rag work without damaging the belt? I would be careful to not let it get down in the holes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'd be better off replacing it. I've never seen one in that sad of shape.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Jburton has a good point. Maybe the guy thinks it'll take an hour and after spending all day on it, you will end up on the poo poo list. It's pretty annoying when an employee spends more time fixing something than what it costs to replace.

Cory Marcin

I agree with Gino. I'm not sure how the vacuum has been holding any media down with that much ink on it.
If you can't replace it and must clean, I suggest spraying 99% ISO, letting it soak in, then use a plastic razor blade and wire brushes. Shop vac the *hit out of it and hope for the best.
Good Luck!

Attachments

• 20200303_071655.jpg
    20200303_071655.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 350

Glavin_ID

You need to be SUPER careful not to damage the belt. I have been told that replacing the belt on an FB700 (which is the same flatbed we run) is over $30k. The only people who can do it are HP techs, they are on site for multiple days, and pretty much the whole machine needs to be taken apart. The tech who installed my machine (former HP employee for 20+ years) said he had only heard of it being done a few times because it was so expensive and not worth the money on machines that weren't close to brand new. FWIW, I am not an HP tech and have never had it quoted so I don't know this for fact, just passing along what I have been told.

He told us alcohol and packing tape worked best. As others have said, I don't know if I have ever seen a belt with that much build up so not sure if that will work.

Rachel Bigelow

I'll say if you are 'new' to this, then your boss might have just found the first busy task he knew had to be done. I'd start the next day and first chance you get (without just busting down the door) ask the boss "How long should this take?", if he doesn't know, offer an estimate, and see if he drops his coffee. If he says XX hours, and you expect it to take that long, get back to it. The third possibility is that he is testing your patience/resolve, and by showing the initiative to question the task at hand, he may have a chuckle and tell you where the replacement one is.

You could always try some Cooley Magic, made for stripping whether resistant ink off of awnings for gods sake...
https://www.reecesupply.com/2320143/Product/Cooley_Cooley_Magic

I'm new to this company, not new to signs and printing. Cleaning it periodically seems to be working with soaking alcohol and high tac vinyl. I don't have a deadline, so i'll just keep at it and see if it helps print quality at all.

Rachel Bigelow

You need to be SUPER careful not to damage the belt. I have been told that replacing the belt on an FB700 (which is the same flatbed we run) is over $30k. The only people who can do it are HP techs, they are on site for multiple days, and pretty much the whole machine needs to be taken apart. The tech who installed my machine (former HP employee for 20+ years) said he had only heard of it being done a few times because it was so expensive and not worth the money on machines that weren't close to brand new. FWIW, I am not an HP tech and have never had it quoted so I don't know this for fact, just passing along what I have been told.

He told us alcohol and packing tape worked best. As others have said, I don't know if I have ever seen a belt with that much build up so not sure if that will work.

Thank you for your help! So far alcohol soaking and high tac vinyl is working. Going to be a long process but I will get there!

Rachel Bigelow

I agree with Gino. I'm not sure how the vacuum has been holding any media down with that much ink on it.
If you can't replace it and must clean, I suggest spraying 99% ISO, letting it soak in, then use a plastic razor blade and wire brushes. Shop vac the *hit out of it and hope for the best.
Good Luck!

That has helped alot! Thank you for your suggestions!!

Andy D

I have had good luck using a metal razor, holding it at around 90 degrees to the table and pulling it to me.

AMGearhart

The previous person before me also let the flatbed belt get built up, but not that bad. I too have been going at it with alcohol and Goof-Off. But that Goof-Off is rough and you need to be careful of overspray. And it isn't the sort of thing to use in short times between prints. I'm also looking for a better solution.

Gotta say though, I do love it when I find a thick area that just peels off with my fingernail.