Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning UV ink off flatbed

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Rachel Bigelow, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Rachel Bigelow

Rachel Bigelow New Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Troy, Mi
    Need help cleaning off years of built up ink on HP Scitex FB700. I'm soaking it with alcohol and using high tac vinyl to take it off. It's very time consuming to only clean a small section. I am a fairly new employee, and I'm already having trouble printing .04 Styrene.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Is there a belt in there ??

3. Rachel Bigelow

Feb 10, 2020
    Troy, Mi
    yes there is

4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Would something like aircraft stripper on a rag work without damaging the belt? I would be careful to not let it get down in the holes.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You'd be better off replacing it. I've never seen one in that sad of shape.

6. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    This will remove the ink

Attached Files:

7. Maxz3241

Maxz3241 New Member

Aug 27, 2019
    NYC
    We use a scotch-brite, alcohol (91%), and a vaccum cleaner. Sometimes a plastic razor blade.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rachel Bigelow

Feb 10, 2020
    Troy, Mi
    I've been working on cleaning it but it seems like this project is going to take me a long time.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'll say if you are 'new' to this, then your boss might have just found the first busy task he knew had to be done. I'd start the next day and first chance you get (without just busting down the door) ask the boss "How long should this take?", if he doesn't know, offer an estimate, and see if he drops his coffee. If he says XX hours, and you expect it to take that long, get back to it. The third possibility is that he is testing your patience/resolve, and by showing the initiative to question the task at hand, he may have a chuckle and tell you where the replacement one is.

You could always try some Cooley Magic, made for stripping whether resistant ink off of awnings for gods sake...
    https://www.reecesupply.com/2320143/Product/Cooley_Cooley_Magic

• Like Like x 1
  10. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    But what will it do to the belt? Have you used this on a flatbed belt? How long have you been using it? How often?

11. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Jburton has a good point. Maybe the guy thinks it'll take an hour and after spending all day on it, you will end up on the poo poo list. It's pretty annoying when an employee spends more time fixing something than what it costs to replace.

12. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Not sure if it works on HP flatbed ink but this stuff is about the only thing that gets Oce ink off once cured.
    Motsenbockers lift off 3.

13. Cory Marcin

Cory Marcin Member

Oct 2, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I agree with Gino. I'm not sure how the vacuum has been holding any media down with that much ink on it.
    If you can't replace it and must clean, I suggest spraying 99% ISO, letting it soak in, then use a plastic razor blade and wire brushes. Shop vac the *hit out of it and hope for the best.
    Good Luck!

Attached Files:

14. Glavin_ID

Glavin_ID Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    You need to be SUPER careful not to damage the belt. I have been told that replacing the belt on an FB700 (which is the same flatbed we run) is over $30k. The only people who can do it are HP techs, they are on site for multiple days, and pretty much the whole machine needs to be taken apart. The tech who installed my machine (former HP employee for 20+ years) said he had only heard of it being done a few times because it was so expensive and not worth the money on machines that weren't close to brand new. FWIW, I am not an HP tech and have never had it quoted so I don't know this for fact, just passing along what I have been told.

He told us alcohol and packing tape worked best. As others have said, I don't know if I have ever seen a belt with that much build up so not sure if that will work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  15. Rachel Bigelow

Feb 10, 2020
    Troy, Mi

I'm new to this company, not new to signs and printing. Cleaning it periodically seems to be working with soaking alcohol and high tac vinyl. I don't have a deadline, so i'll just keep at it and see if it helps print quality at all.

16. Rachel Bigelow

Feb 10, 2020
    Troy, Mi
    Thank you for your help! So far alcohol soaking and high tac vinyl is working. Going to be a long process but I will get there!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rachel Bigelow

Feb 10, 2020
    Troy, Mi

That has helped alot! Thank you for your suggestions!!

18. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    Rachel, the micro wipes that I posted above is proven...will work and will not damage belt

19. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I have had good luck using a metal razor, holding it at around 90 degrees to the table and pulling it to me.

20. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oh I see. Assuming you get good results on other substrates, is it just the styrene giving you issues?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020