• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning UV ink off flatbed

AMGearhart

It goes down thick sometimes when using a backlit setting. If you're doing multiple items with the same width, it can build up quickly. But it can also just peel off like a film in those circumstances.

Rachel Bigelow

Oh I see. Assuming you get good results on other substrates, is it just the styrene giving you issues?

usually thicker substrates do not give me many problems, but today I was printing on foam core and had head strikes. I've been slowly cleaning the belt but styrene has been the hardest because of how thin it is.

Rachel Bigelow

I agree with Gino. I'm not sure how the vacuum has been holding any media down with that much ink on it.
If you can't replace it and must clean, I suggest spraying 99% ISO, letting it soak in, then use a plastic razor blade and wire brushes. Shop vac the *hit out of it and hope for the best.
Good Luck!
This seems to be working out the best. Just going to take a long time...thank you!

Jayefkay531

I was told by my HP rep to use Denatured alcohol, not ISO. This eats right through the ink without damaging the belt, but the length of time the ink has been cured does affect it. I once printed the the wrong file on a 2x3 sheet of ACM, poured some denatured on it and you can watch the ink bubble up. Between that, high-tac adhesive vinyl/tape, and elbow grease you may be able to get it. My rep told me if I need a new belt, just buy a new machine instead because they literally have to take the entire machine apart to it's core to get the belt off.

i have to ask, though - how in the hell does that much ink get on the belt?!? That looks like prints were sent without any media!

Rachel Bigelow

I was told by my HP rep to use Denatured alcohol, not ISO. This eats right through the ink without damaging the belt, but the length of time the ink has been cured does affect it. I once printed the the wrong file on a 2x3 sheet of ACM, poured some denatured on it and you can watch the ink bubble up. Between that, high-tac adhesive vinyl/tape, and elbow grease you may be able to get it. My rep told me if I need a new belt, just buy a new machine instead because they literally have to take the entire machine apart to it's core to get the belt off.

i have to ask, though - how in the hell does that much ink get on the belt?!? That looks like prints were sent without any media!

I've been working at it with the alcohol and vinyl. I actually just recently started with the company and this printer has defiantly not been taken care of....