Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions clear or translucent acrylic w/ translucent vinyl?

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by petepaz, Aug 16, 2019.

1. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    this is a new one for me so have a question...

if i am making a back-lit panel and using inkjet printable translucent vinyl should i still use translucent white acrylic/polycarbonate or should i use clear?
    not sure if the translucent white and the translucent vinyl will block too much light?

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Use the white acrylic. It will not block too much light. Also, if you don't make a double print, the ink will be too washed out when lit from behind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    You might consider a translucent film over vinyl as it is more typical for back-lit display and unnecessary to double print if the print process is handled appropriately.

4. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Outdoor?

I’d use sign grade white polycarbonate. Acrylic gets brittle and can break/crack over time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    You should use clear plex or polycarbonate, otherwise you are getting two layers of white diffuser and it will make the sign dark. However, the best way to make a backlit panel is to have white plex with a clear vinyl graphic that is printed color white color. Signs 365 or most any wholesaler can help you with that.

6. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Not my experience.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Most white translucent vinyl will add anywhere from 20% to 30% darkness to a white face, regardless of poly or acrylic. If you are doing the entire background, you hafta make the choice. Years ago, we made samples using clear and printing on it and various levels and manufacturers of white translucent. The results are all over the place. Better for us, just to flatbed print on white and put 1/8" clear in front of it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I do white poly and clear transparent vinyl with double pass ink and laminated

• Like Like x 2