• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions clear or translucent acrylic w/ translucent vinyl?

petepaz

this is a new one for me so have a question...

if i am making a back-lit panel and using inkjet printable translucent vinyl should i still use translucent white acrylic/polycarbonate or should i use clear?
not sure if the translucent white and the translucent vinyl will block too much light?

unclebun

Use the white acrylic. It will not block too much light. Also, if you don't make a double print, the ink will be too washed out when lit from behind.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
if i am making a back-lit panel and using inkjet printable translucent vinyl should i still use translucent white acrylic/polycarbonate or should i use clear?
You might consider a translucent film over vinyl as it is more typical for back-lit display and unnecessary to double print if the print process is handled appropriately.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
You should use clear plex or polycarbonate, otherwise you are getting two layers of white diffuser and it will make the sign dark. However, the best way to make a backlit panel is to have white plex with a clear vinyl graphic that is printed color white color. Signs 365 or most any wholesaler can help you with that.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
You should use clear plex or polycarbonate, otherwise you are getting two layers of white diffuser and it will make the sign dark. However, the best way to make a backlit panel is to have white plex with a clear vinyl graphic that is printed color white color.
Not my experience.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most white translucent vinyl will add anywhere from 20% to 30% darkness to a white face, regardless of poly or acrylic. If you are doing the entire background, you hafta make the choice. Years ago, we made samples using clear and printing on it and various levels and manufacturers of white translucent. The results are all over the place. Better for us, just to flatbed print on white and put 1/8" clear in front of it.