• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Clear tint paint over brushed aluminum

Andy D

I have a couple of displays with a brushed aluminum background that needs to be made a darkish
blue. Years ago. the painter at the shop I worked at made a bunch of samples that looked great, different
colors and the brushed effects still clearly showed up, but these were samples he brushed himself.
How hard is it to paint clear tinted paint and get an acceptable finish? I have done a lot of painting with a compressed air sprayer, but I'm not a professional painter and don't have a paint booth.

I tried putting printed clear vinyl over standard brushed aluminum, it shows up but not as much as I would like. I'm going to try and add "brushing" using sandpaper and see how that looks.

Just looking for input.

Andy D

House of Kolor Kandy concentrate if you want to "roll your own" or get one of their premixed colors. Candy colors are transparent and allow you to build the shade you want. Always best to spray a let down panel before you attack the project.
https://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/
https://www.refinishnetwork.com/2016/12/11/creating-a-tri-coat-let-down-panel/

I was hoping to use something I could buy local, any suggestions?
I will have to paint them outside in the driveway, I'm guessing every little piece of trash will show up
huh?

rjssigns

I was hoping to use something I could buy local, any suggestions?
I will have to paint them outside in the driveway, I'm guessing every little piece of trash will show up
huh?

I've painted outside. Biggest thing is to hang the panel or parts so the painted surface is vertical. As far as local you must have an auto paint store in your area. Something else I thought about is the mid-coat of a tri-coat system. Auto paint store should be able to help.

spectrum maine

tint clear paint or house of color candy. spray only. i am pretty sure house of color is available in a high quality spray can.

Billct2

How big are they? I agree with spraying a tinted clear (sample first of course). If they're small finding a rattle can with the right look would be great. Bigger will require spraying. You can set up a temp "booth".

signbrad

Matthews Polyurethane color can be mixed with any of their clears to achieve this. Matthews even has a primer/adhesion promoter that is clear, designed to not obscure whatever pattern is in the metal. Testing is necessary to get exactly what you want, of course.

It might be tricky to accomplish this using a packaged product from a local paint store.

"Candy" colors might work, as has been mentioned.

Andy D

do you have any silk screen companies in your area. they might be able to help you out

Yes, just down the street & we send each other work all the time...
Are you suggesting they screen them or do they have something I can add to clear paint?

petepaz

yes ask the silk screener about it. we have never tinted brushed metal but we have tinted materials and they maybe able to help you.
if you screen it you will get a good finish

Andy D

How big are they? I agree with spraying a tinted clear (sample first of course). If they're small finding a rattle can with the right look would be great. Bigger will require spraying. You can set up a temp "booth".

Not that big, ones around 2' x 4' the other 20" x 36"
who has that paint in a can? Would Home Depot have it or
an auto supply store?

SignosaurusRex

Matthews Polyurethane color can be mixed with any of their clears to achieve this. Matthews even has a primer/adhesion promoter that is clear, designed to not obscure whatever pattern is in the metal. Testing is necessary to get exactly what you want, of course.

It might be tricky to accomplish this using a packaged product from a local paint store.

"Candy" colors might work, as has been mentioned.

:goodpost: