• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clever image in the news today

Marlene

Outstanding clever indeed

+1
I think it is a cool way of writing a date as most times when a date is written, it is boring and not very interesting or it has all kinds of bullets, splashes and do dads to make you look at it. I like it

CES020

So, in your mind, does critical analysis of an ad constitute hatred toward a company?

That's probably because the vast majority of people that have these "other" devices don't go out of their way to celebrate not-so-clever, unoriginal ads...

And some can even respond to the actual question asked. They can actually read and comprehend the original post, which wasn't about advertising, it was about a graphic. I didn't ask if you thought their advertising was good/bad/neither. I asked if your opinions on the actual graphic.

I thought the graphic was interesting, which is why I posted it in the design/layout section.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
And some can even respond to the actual question asked.

I was responding to another post, not yours.

And no, I don't think the graphic/ad is that clever or interesting as its been done before. Certainly not special enough to warrant a news item, as the OP claims. Is there a link to this news item?

Overall, though, I do think that Apple's advertising is very svelte and attractive and this ad/graphic definitely follows the theme, but, as I said -- the graphic device used (shadowing/reflecting one object with another) is most decidedly not original. And, for me, "clever" must necessarily include some degree of originality.

If there's something positive to say about the graphic, it might be "well-executed", but it is not original, ergo, clever..

2972renfro

So, in your mind, does critical analysis of an ad constitute hatred toward a company?

That's probably because the vast majority of people that have these "other" devices don't go out of their way to celebrate not-so-clever, unoriginal ads...

Out of their way? Funny because the OP asked you not to comment on the company but rather the ad and you felt the need to disregard his request on your first reply

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Out of their way? Funny because the OP asked you not to comment on the company but rather the ad and you felt the need to disregard his request on your first reply

So, how is the word "hype" not a comment on an ad?

Are you a little sensitive, too?

SignProPlus-Chip

You put your finger on it right there, Pat... I think maybe a better word is "subtle"

Clever? Maybe a bit. Original? Definitely not. Shadowing/reflecting an object with a different object has been done many times.

This.

It is a design trope used too often. I don't find it clever and IMO it's about a subtle as a mallet to the head.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Because I didn't ask if anyone thought it was hype. I simply posted because I thought it was a clever graphic. Instead of commenting that it was or wasn't, or not posting at all, you picked up the same old "Apple is hype" theme.

It's really sad we can't even talk about a graphic, irregardless of who it's for.

and its a shame you immediately spring to Apple's defense... with no real provocation.

CES020

and its a shame you immediately spring to Apple's defense... with no real provocation.

Apparently you failed reading comprehension as well. Point to one post in this thread where I "came to Apple's defense".

I'm waiting, oh wait, there isn't one. I asked a simple question, what do you think about the graphic. I didn't ask if you like apple. I didn't ask if you like apple products. I didn't say apple is anything.

I asked if you thought the graphic was clever. Some thought it was, some didn't. How you got me defending apple out of that is bizarre.

HaroldDesign

Had the original post not told me it was coming out September 12th, I would have thought it was coming out December 5th. Clever, but only with prior knowledge of the date, so it's equally ineffective. Neat idea, though.