• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client refusing payment

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you realize how stupid that is ?? Once a sign is on the building, it is THEIR sign. Unpaid for, but their sign, nonetheless. You not getting paid is a civil matter. Stealing the sign is a criminal matter. If you can't get paid there are so many ways set up for you to get paid, it ain't even funny, but stealing is stealing and you can go to jail for such things, according to how much stolen property you took. Will the courts look kindly on you for stealing at night ?? I doubt it. Doing that is clear evidence, you knew it was wrong. Doing it while the guy is calling the cops is dumb too, cause he was warning you.

rossmosh

My story of the day. School district placed an annual order in May for a bit over $1000. It's broken up into 2 parts. 1 = $1000, new items. 2 = $100ish for updates of their existing items.

$1000 worth of merchandise is delivered on June 1st, but ready on May 22, their scheduled pickup date. They are told to tell the business office to tell them they picked up the order so I can get paid. I expect to be paid in early July.

Mid-July I call the business office. Leave a VM. No response. A week or so later they finally drop off the $100 worth of stuff to update. I turn it around in a few days. Again, express how I haven't been paid and they need to reach out to the business office.

Today I follow up again, and I'm told they'll cut the check at the end of the month. The reason? They didn't tell the business office they received anything until a few days ago.

So next year when they place the order, they aren't getting 1 estimate with everything. They are getting 20 estimates where every item will require its own PO. The thing is, this is one order of many from that district so now everyone has to play by those rules because every summer they decide to hold up an order for a similar bullshit reason. They're officially on my shit list.

EDIT: Another story. Another municipality based group orders a few grand worth of stuff from me. Included is a quantity discount. They pay up front and follow all the instructions perfectly. Everything is smooth. It's going through a 3rd party vendor. I process the order and we're good to go. I should get it in 4 weeks or so. About 2-3 weeks into the process they reach out letting me know someone else wants one. I tell them sure. I'll process the order for them at the discounted price and take care of it for them. We'll figure out payment when it comes in. It's $180. So it comes in shortly after they pickup the original order and I reach out to my contact. He lets the other guy know. So for the next 3 months every few weeks I remind them it's not picked up. My contact groans and says "I'll follow-up with him". Finally I get the guy's phone number to call him directly expecting the normal response of "Oh shit I forgot. I'll get over to you right away. I'm so sorry."

Instead, I got the jerk off response. He told me he'd come in sometime this week. He pretended not to know where we were. Just basically showing all of the signs that he was going to blow us off. So I told him "I appreciate you're going to come in, but this is past due. I need a credit card." Guy acts like how dare I ask for a measly $180 and who am I to ask for his credit card. He doesn't know us. Guy makes $100k via his public pension.

So then I reach out to my contact and he's supposed to follow up, but of course, crickets. So now this whole organization has had it's name tarnished because of this jerk-off. Now, their whole organization has to be COD because I know 100% they won't step up and pay me.

Last edited:
  • Hilarious!
Reactions: 2B

Stacey K

I like making signs
So, I have one customer that has been giving me the run around since May. He claims to not get my emails, and he mailed the check and I didn't get it, the he was going to cancel the check and pay online but the internet was down, bla bla bla. Anyway, I was playing around with my invoice reminder settings and turned it on. I resends in 3, 7 and 14 days. I did this 3 days ago and got notification that 2 outstanding invoices were paid this morning. Problem is it sent it out to a customer who said they were sending a check and she sent me back an email that she talked to me about this oops...I apologized and said it's set on auto-set so just ignore it.

I guess I should have turned this on in May!

Does anyone else have there accounting software set to auto send...I'm thinking 3 days might be a bit obnoxious...7 and 14 seems appropriate.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, I have one customer that has been giving me the run around since May. He claims to not get my emails, and he mailed the check and I didn't get it, the he was going to cancel the check and pay online but the internet was down, bla bla bla. Anyway, I was playing around with my invoice reminder settings and turned it on. I resends in 3, 7 and 14 days. I did this 3 days ago and got notification that 2 outstanding invoices were paid this morning. Problem is it sent it out to a customer who said they were sending a check and she sent me back an email that she talked to me about this oops...I apologized and said it's set on auto-set so just ignore it.

I guess I should have turned this on in May!

Does anyone else have there accounting software set to auto send...I'm thinking 3 days might be a bit obnoxious...7 and 14 seems appropriate.
I think ours sends out outstanding invoices every month.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We introduce our customers to both Bills..... our 'Collectors' when they come in and place the order. For those over the internet, we explain it to them.

People tend to know you have some serious muscle behind ya.

LOUISVILLE SLUGGER.jpg
s&w 38.jpg

JWitkowski

I've changed the names to protect the guilty. Years ago, I get a call to do a couple driveway entry signs for a restaurant's new owners. Pretty small job. Vlad is the contact person. Signs get done and installed on existing posts, all according to the request, exactly as ordered. I find out that Vlad is the son of one of the new owners, who I know is a shyster - always on the lookout to shaft someone somehow. Time goes on and I don't get paid. I call Vlad and he rants about the signs coming apart, falling down, etc. I go take a look and they're all good as gold. So I call the local provincial police about possible fraud charges. The family and the son are 'known' to the police and the officer offers to go have a talk with the family, first. Two days later, Vlad's dad calls me up begging me to not press any charges and has the money in his hand for me. It turns out that Vlad can't fly out of the country if he has any charges against him and the possibility of his hockey career cut short gets some action. I get the money and Vlad's dad gets an earful from me about their whole modis operandi. Thanks for the help, Officer!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That was from the second s101 mixer we held at our place. First one was 2009 and then that one in 2011. They were a blast.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
We simply stopped giving people terms. For smaller items like parts and vinyl, nothing leaves the building without full payment. With printers, it's 50% upfront and 50% at install. We don't leave the install without payment. There's really no use for terms anymore when money can be transferred instantly.
1000% percent on this (except- depending on the customer- I wouldn't do the install unless the check is in my hand)- when calling to set up the install, and when calling the day before (or Friday, if it's a Monday install), I'd always say something like "we're scheduled to install your (whatever sign it is) tomorrow, so I'm calling to remind you payment is due on arrival, and that we'll need someone on site to sign off on the work" (another way to CYA)- telling more than one customer "oh, sorry- we'll have to reschedule" when they tried the "oh, the bookkeeper is out of town until next week" or some such nonsense, only to have them say backstroke like an Olympic swimmer to say "oh, I'll have (someone else) cut the check for you and have it ready" when I add the rescheduled install date would be three more weeks later due to current volume.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The louisville is in plain sight, all the time. It becomes a talking point many times. Then, I tell them about my more up-to-date .38 The .357 is not in plain sight. I'm not a f*ckin' dummy.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Didn't you just say how taking a sign down was way over the line and "pretty stupid"? lol
I know you probably don't understand this but: Gino (I affectionately call him Guido..for clear reasons), said that it would be stupid to go to a location and take a sign down. I believe he even indicated why. BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY MOUNTED ON THE BUILDING AND THUS BELONGS TO THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY NOW AND NOT THE SIGN SHOP.

How he conducts his business IN HIS OWN SHOP is with a bat and a gun..

two totally different scenarios there.

(We don't have the bat..but we have the gun..)

Stacey K

I like making signs
Mick is a great customer and realtor. MGT is a new builder, they bought land together and are trying to sell homes on it. Mick ordered a sign for himself and a sign for MGT, who is also a customer of mine.

I've been emailing and mailing he's supposedly sent numerous checks and I don't get them and every time he says to send an electronic invoice his internet goes down so he can't pay it. Anyway, I'm sick of his BS and since Mick is the one that ordered the signs, I thought it was time to ask him what's going on....

Stacey: Hi! Is your friend MGT out of business or having money problems? I can't get him to pay that bill from the signs you guys ordered. Just wondering, thanks!

Mick: I will get that taken care of. Sorry about that.

Mick: He said he sent a check to the PO box or something, IDK. But new check in mail.

Mick: Good builder bad office secretary. Let me know when you get the check if it's mailed you should have it by Monday. I'll be stopping Monday for some more auction signs. If you don't have that check, I'll pay you.

Stacey: Sounds good, I'm here 8-4, thank you, very much appreciate your help

JWitkowski

I know you probably don't understand this but: Gino (I affectionately call him Guido..for clear reasons), said that it would be stupid to go to a location and take a sign down. I believe he even indicated why. BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY MOUNTED ON THE BUILDING AND THUS BELONGS TO THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY NOW AND NOT THE SIGN SHOP.

How he conducts his business IN HIS OWN SHOP is with a bat and a gun..

two totally different scenarios there.

(We don't have the bat..but we have the gun..)
Yeah, I got the reason for not removing an installed sign. I thought I was playing along with the joke of the bat and gun, thinking it's a sight gag. It turns out it's not a joke. Wow, who knows what will happen when you crazy Americans pull out the weapons!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I got the reason for not removing an installed sign. I thought I was playing along with the joke of the bat and gun, thinking it's a sight gag. It turns out it's not a joke. Wow, who knows what will happen when you crazy Americans pull out the weapons!

We hardly have anybody who doesn't wish to pay in many many years. However, occasionally, it happens. Those people/companies are handled quite professionally and we always win.

The area in which I live and conduct business is a kinda rough area and is getting worse by the day. Those as I called them... 'Bill Collectors' are really for protection more so, than running after bad pay people. I'm too old to run someone down and collect. I have three firearms on the premises and one in my vehicle. All strategically placed.

As for jameslam...... you can write anything you want into your quote/invoice/statements, but that doesn't mean they'll listen to you. If someone is dead set on screwing you over, a silly sentence is hardly gonna stop them. You'll either need smart correspondence or a good lawyer, but now ya hafta split your monies. Those statements are only for the honest, not the nasties in business.

I'm seeking advice here on what is common practice. We have produced and installed a sign for a client to the specifications that they requested and collected a 50% deposit on the order up front. Now that the job is complete and the sign has been installed, the client is reluctant to pay the remaining balance on the invoice. What is my best course of action? Have you dealt with this issue? Can we remove the sign since it technically has not been paid for? Thank you in advance for your response.
Here in Colorado, my boss has files a few signmaker's leins one the building.
That always works. Works best if they are renting space from a landlord.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Ahh, this explains it all. Most new builders are really going to sink or swim on their first small handful of homes. They have to get a loan to buy the materials and pay their crew/subs, and every chance they get they'll take above and beyond advantage of net 30. Your signs were definitely low man on the totem pole of payments. They'll either sink or swim pretty fast, either ponzi'ing their deposits as the ship goes down to build one house with money for the new house, or they'll explode and get rich quick... Good thing he's partnering with the realtor who's already a good customer! Sounds like you've resolved this in the best way, even if you had to ask uncomfortable questions of your existing customer, it sounds like you did it tactfully.
And guess what...I got notification this morning that he paid it online. So...that means there never were any checks sent, which is what I figured. And to think he was getting snotty with me for not receiving his checks...jerk.