• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clipart Storage

I am trying to figure out a simpler way to store clipart disc. I have a lot of photoshop designs I have bought and a lot of wrap graphics so the files are large. I am tired of finding a design in the book then getting the disc putting it in and running it. I would hate to store all disc on my computer so I was thinking about putting all art disc on a external hard drive so files are together and I don't have to deal with disc. Plus I could have more than 1 external for other people in my shop can us on their computers.

What do you think my best option is?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Considering you can get 2+ terabyte hard drives for under $100 nowadays what is the point of keeping files on a disc? Get a second hard drive, install it internally, setup sharing so other computers on your network can access it and start organizing and storing the files on it. We have a slightly different setup (we have a 14TB SAN and a Windows domain network) but it's the same principle. In our setup when someone logs in they automatically have additional drive letters mapped to the shares on the server. S is shared as "stocks" and contains clipart collections, fonts, stock images, etc that we have bought over the years. We also have another mapped drive which is "client files" and has a couple of levels, one being "archive" and the other "active".

For the stock stuff we use Extensis Portfolio to make catalogs of the stock clipart. Then we have an easy to browse electronic catalog to find things.

Techman

get a 1 Terra laptop size had drive. Get a 2x3 usb enclosure. Transfer all your images to the drive. Now you have a a small container for all yoru images that is small and will fit in a pocket. Now you have it all.
You want smaller? Get the latest in usb storage keys that are just big enough to plug into a usb port. Now that is a tiny solution to your needs..