• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

close call

nwsigns

We cut and route a ton of aluminum and have never had a "serious" injury. Sometimes when cutting or routing you have a piece that goes flying and you never find it. Today we were cleaning up a corner and looked up to find this triangle of death embedded about a 1/2" into the wood right behind the router.

Dont think safety glasses would have helped here.

picture.php

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Lucky thing it didn't pass through the operator on the way to that wood.
Paint it orange and frame it - looks like an albino Dorito right now.

wayne k
guam usa

Jillbeans

Holy crap!
I usually get a lot of user errors when operating a tool but I didn't know tools had their own user errors (potentially fatal ones)
Love....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't know about Chinese stars or triangles, but thank your Lucky Stars no one was in it's path when it happened.

Craig Sjoquist

Wait a minute .... where is the guard ??

What you are saying, job is being cut in auto or manual ...as you finish a cut ..the piece fly's off ?? where is guard ??... can you build one ??.... if so.. you build sell it to mfg.

Z SIGNS

Must be some monster powerful spindle you got.When we are routing thick alum like that and a center comes loose it usually just makes a lot of nasty noise and ends up breaking the bit.You dodged a bullet on this one.

nwsigns

I thinks its .090 which we route a ton of and its right behind the router. We have a great vacuum system for hold down and usually use tabs to prevent flying things and $45 bits getting gnarled up but once in a while this happens - usually with inside "o" pieces which are pretty harmless.

skyhigh

Wait a minute .... where is the guard ??

What you are saying, job is being cut in auto or manual ...as you finish a cut ..the piece fly's off ?? where is guard ??... can you build one ??.... if so.. you build sell it to mfg.
What fun is that??? This is a great way to build up your reaction times!!!

:iamwithstupid Seriously though.....if this happens on a regular basis, then you really should build yourself some sort of lexan viewing wall to stand behind (just a thought). I don't cut much aluminum, but have gotten smacked by a few centers of mdo.