• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clothing Line Logo

Marlene

a quick search turned up serveral resources for doing a name check when starting a new business. one, www.nolo.com had a pretty good list of how to do it. you could mention to your client that the name seemed familar and a quick search found a clothing company with the same name and ask if they have done their check on the name yet if you don't want to get invloved. sign Me Up is right in that there are tons of shops with names the same in different places, but I'm not sure with these guys as they may sell local or internet. this is a good question as my gut reaction is to always talk to the client when in doubt but who knows.

signmeup

Do what the client asks. Get paid. If they need a new logo later, fix them up. The name is none of your business. You are not the name police.

mudmedia

Do what the client asks. Get paid. If they need a new logo later, fix them up. The name is none of your business. You are not the name police.

Can they come after me if any lawsuits get filed?..Maybe i should charge them triple to try to cover my butt down the road? lol...Business is tough so id like to get every job I can get but if its a hassle i may toss it down the road...

signmeup

Up here in Canada you have to register your company name with the Registry of Joint Stock Companies. They search their database and let you know if the name is taken in your area. If they say it's OK you're good to go. It's your clients responceability to register their business though. You just make logos and signs based on what your clint gives you for info. But that's Canada.

Did you forget what you did when you registered your own business?

Circleville Signs

You're just a designer. As long as you aren't designing them a logo where YOU blatantly rip off someone Else's copywritten/trademarked design you should be fine.

Gary

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You're just a designer. As long as you aren't designing them a logo where YOU blatantly rip off someone Else's copywritten/trademarked design you should be fine.

Gary

This may not be true, you are in fact, now, knowingly designing something that Canadian company "MAY" have a legal trademark for the name "LUCKY 7"

I would discuss this with a lawyer, being paid 3 times more may not cover the 10-100k costs... unless you are getting paid 33k for the logo design, in that case you are on the wrong forum.

We also have a clothing company here in the states called "Lucky 13" and I believe they have a registered trademark for clothing (http://www.lucky13apparel.com/)

--------

On the design, you should have researched "LUCKY 7" or anything dealing with that, you would have found the competition and gotten some visual cues. One thing that sticks out to me is, what kind of crowd or culture are you designing too? The 2 examples are miles apart in culture, the Canadian Lucky 7 is sleaze/maxi-clip-art fluff done a million times. The other rockabilly/retro with original artwork.

Can't crit the logo if we don't know the crowd you are designing too...

You might want to check out the MAGIC and ASR organization websites for trades hows to attend if you are interested in ths type of work, but beware, it is over saturated and pays very little.

threads1

Back to the embroidery part.....a embroidery company can sew many different combinations of color depending on the customers wishes, garment etc. What I was talking about was the complicated elements you had in the design. I think everyone has talked about that pretty good already. Go get yourself a piece of thread. It has a specific weight and dimension that isn't going to get any smaller. That's the difference between ink and thread. You can lay down a wisper of ink. You can't do that with thread. Have fun with the legal part.

GypsyGraphics

Gypsy I totally agree thank you for your points...The taking a look at the thumbnail really helped me..Thank you...

BUT Before i even work on this thing again can you guys fill me in for what is at stakes...I have a couple questions not for the client but so I can get a little more "in tune" and knowledgable about the whole name thing...

What is a bigger concern? The Lucky shopping name or the Lucky clothing name? I seen two links that both concern the name "Lucky" .. Do i tell him you cant use "Lucky" or because there is another clothing company there.

Hey Mudmedia, I think I'd steer clear of being involved with the naming of this company. It's one thing to design their logo, it's a whole different ball of wax to take on the legalities of naming their company. Maybe suggest they might want to do a little homework before paying you to design their logo.

I don't know if you're charging them a flat rate or by the hour, but appeal to their wallet... tell them you wouldn't want them to have to pay more than once for their logo design.

I hope you keep us posted, I'm curious to know your client's reaction.

good luck - gg

reysonidero

Hi Mudmedia, The logo does not look bad at all bro. I think the circle with the clover looks a little big. But the font is actually cool. I haven't seen it before.

Just a question... Do you do sketches before producing a logo? I just feel that this logo has many ways you can go with it. But if you have more ideas sketch out I feel you can play around with the composition a bit more. Hope my feedback helps.

jiarby

You are not his lawyer, just his sign guy or graphics weenie. You can tell him that there is already a company with this name, but it is not your responsibility... unless you want to avoid him coming back to you saying YOU ripped off the other logo. It should be COMPLETELY different and hopefully in no way confusing that this is a different company.

Regarding the graphics...you always have to ask when doing ANY design what the output is going to be:

B/W print ad
CMYK Offset Color Printed
RGB Web Site Graphics
Embroidery
T-Shirt Silkscreening (trapping, halftones, etc...)
Cut Vinyl

etc...

If the answer is ALL OF IT.... then you have to aim for the least common denominator or at least do 3-4 versions of the same thing. And charge appropriately.

jimmyheartcore

No offense, but that logo is not good for a clothing line. Putting "Clothing Company" or "Clothing Co." or "Clothing" on a tee shirt under a logo is kind of redundant. Think about the brands that you know and wear. Do they put "Clothing Company" underneath their logo on a shirt? On their website? They don't have to, it is implied.

This is the wrong place to talk about designing for clothing -- completely different market. Check out http://www.emptees.com and get some ideas there. Lot of talented folks who have mastered the art that goes into branding.

Some awesome illustrators there too, if you guys ever need anybody to do some art for you.