• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC .080 mister?

UFB Fabrication

One thing I did not see mentioned is the alloy of the material. All of the pre finished stuff is soft 3003. It machines like crap with or without a mister. We try to NOT ever cut it. We cut .080 5052 alloy at about 80 IPM and around 18700 rpm and use a synthetic oil for the mister. We use Onsrud or belin spiral O bits. We cut up to 1/8'' in one pass. We mainly use a 3/16'' bit as 1/8 is to brittle and 1/4 does not really cut any faster. We cut up to 1/4 inch thick before stepping up bit sizes. Last week we cut some 1'' thick 6061 alloy and used a 3/8 bit about 5 or 6 passes.

The main thing is dont go to slow with the feed as it will prematurely wear out bits. Mcmaster has a mister that if I recall is pretty cheap part # 10835k23 $ 823ish