Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Discussion CNC engraver would be best for flat glass and crystal engraving at a reasonable price?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by brienronald, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. brienronald

brienronald New Member

Nov 11, 2019
    shenzhen
    有些人推荐使用CO2激光,但它只能进行表面雕刻。如果需要深凹版印刷,则需要CNC以确保无振动的液体冷却。刀具至关重要。

Tags:
  2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    And translated:

Some people recommend using a CO2 laser, but it can only be surface engraved. If deep gravure printing is required, a CNC is required to ensure that the vibration-free liquid cools. The tool is crucial.​

3. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Universal Laser would be best, but for a cheaper option BossLaser

4. Scott Kaehler

Scott Kaehler New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Bloomington
    The easiest way is to do Laser engrave the image using iconics film then sandblasted. 2 steps but fast and economical

• Like Like x 2
  5. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Ditto for sandblasted glass. Your three options are photoresist, laser film or plotter cut stencil. Each masking process has its own particular strengths.

Laser etched / frosted glass can not even begin to compare.

JB

• Like Like x 1
  6. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Sandblasting is not only economical, it's downright stunning when compared to laser etched glass.

JB

7. BigO

BigO New Member

Apr 7, 2020
    Texas
    Sandblasting also opens up other avenues such as cups, tumblers, leather, and many other substrates. I have 100 W laser with a rotary but I prefer the look of sandblasted. You’ll be surprised how detailed you can get it.I converted a a bug zapper to do the transparencies so the cost is almost nothing. Really all you need is a light that’s within the 360 to 400 range nm wavelengths. The closer to 360 the better. Anything in the uvb wavelength will work, but 360nm seems to work the best. Higher wattage means faster exposure. EG, 200w led uv ~30 seconds exposure where 50w is 2min. Also you want one source, (one bulb) otherwise you may get double exposure unless you want to do a little optics math. Exposure units can cost anywhere from $350 to $4k for no reason. Perfect DIY project. I made my first with a bug zapper $15 and second from a 150w led $90 project.
    The only downside is you need a healthy air compressor with a good air dryer. I modified a water filter filled with reusable desiccant. Probably TMI but I recently did this project. Happy to nerd out if you have any questions.