Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNC Estimating

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Engravers' started by trainwreck, Feb 25, 2013.

1. trainwreck

trainwreck New Member

Feb 1, 2013
    USA
    I'm looking for a solution to estimating cut times on my router table. Is there a solution out there? Something that would "trace" your art, given your estimated run parameters, and spit out numbers like length of cut, and amount of time to cut. My software doesn't (i-cut).

Thanks

2. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    Most tool pathing software will give you an estimated run time or allow you to run a simulation.If you don't have that and you really need to know how long it's going to take run the file without the bit.

3. Z is correct when it comes to programs. I don't know of any that don't have the time calculation built into the design end.

ArtCam has a program "Express" which has a routing time estimator. It costs about $150.00. A good source is "Beckwithdecor.com"

Joe Crumley

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    I use Aspire and the cut times are usually close. Most times the estimate from Aspire is a bit longer than actual,

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    if your cnc controller doesnt have the option, you can 'find length around path' in your vector software, calculate based on IPM you are running your machine at, and add a bit for up/down etc

6. darrell

darrell New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    I know of this http://www.cutestimator.com
    I know it has it's roots from a company called Di-con, it was a cutting service company
    And a relative to MGE the founders of i-Cut Lake Geneva, WI (now part of Esko)
    Another relative Nikolai Mikkelsen has http://cutguru.com/store/index.php/
    I spoke with Nikolai and he gave me a little history about the Di-con company

7. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    I run the file in preview mode and it gives me an exact time of cut.