• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC for a small shop!!??

HayTay

Any body got the plans to build a home built?
any body got plans they wish to share?

JGRO Router Table - PDF Format

JGRO Router Table - DXF Format

JGRO Router Table - SolidWorks Format

JGRO's PLOG

Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 (E-dwg 02-06-06)

Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 PLOG

Joes CNC Model 2006 PLOG

and the ultimate resource for CNC info... CNCzone

I've built the JGRO Router Table with my own two hands and minimal power tools (table saw, drill press, hand drill, and a router). Joe's design, on the other hand, pretty much requires being cut on a CNC table (JGRO's table can do it with a little fudging). By the time you get the material, nuts, bolts, screws, aluminum angle, bearings, motors, cable, primer, paint, power supply, motor controller, CNC controller software, router, end mills, router bits, a solid table, etc., etc., etc. it doesn't turn out as inexpensive as you think. But, man is it fun to cut stuff out! There is a definite learning curve depending on your current skill set. Most people here on Signs101 have the design part down. Getting it to cut is a different story.

CNC routing, it's another whole world. Check out the above plans and PLOGS for a start.

IHTH,

Attachments

• Enclosure_8.JPG
    Enclosure_8.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 222
  • Enclosure_9.JPG
    Enclosure_9.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC03647.JPG
    DSC03647.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC03648.JPG
    DSC03648.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 194

itzdeb

Doug,
I noticed your question within your post about the xtra 3 G's. I was thinking about this craftsman model of a small router and then comparing the 5G's that the shopbot cost (without shipping and table, of course). Evenso, I really was impressed with EmpY's shopbot and he tells me he's still using it without any problems. He's had it for several years now, and it's been about 6 months since I've spoken to him about it. Still, it was one heck of a machine and the precision cut was impeccable.
I'm no expert when it comes to this, but, these lower cost routers really caught my attention; I'm still interested in finding out more and enjoy the feedback here.

salvauser

My advice: Do not try to build one. I fell into this trap and even though it may seem cheaper, the amount of time invested understanding how it works plus endless frustrations it is not worth. There are too many factors involved for a CNC to work properly. And you will find special difficulty in the control boards. Most manufacturers do not offer any help at all, and have restricted access to their forums. Please do not do it. Just save enough to buy one made by a reputable company.

SignManiac

Like Dan Swatshisname, I coughed up the bucks nearly six years ago and bought a 5 x 10 Multicam. It's nice to have the right tool for the job. Investments, not expenses.

cr6surfs

Carvewright

I looked at the Carvewright ( or Compucarve from Sears) machine when someone on this board recommended I take a look.

I have seen one...it was waiting for parts and worked three hours.

It is a pretty lightweight machine. I think it would be ok for small jobs. However, it is not designed with production in mind.

If you go to the Carvewright web site read through the forums. There are a lot of owners suffering reliability issues.

I am still interested but, I am hoping that they work the defects out of the products beofe I buy one.

It is only a matter of time before sub $2K CNC routers are a reality. The Carvewright is the first machine.

WulfGrafix

I've been reading the carvewright forums off and on now for a few months.

Yes, there are those who are suffering with their machines.

On the other hand there are some who are doing well and are making some amazing projects. Unfortunately it seems to be a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll get a good machine. The upside is that the carvewright tech support seems to be very good about helping out and replacing machines that have problems.

I have my sights set on getting one, just a matter of saving the money.

player

Shopbots are pretty good, but when you really examine the way they are made, (bearings, rails etc.) along with the new pricing, I would get a real CNC. You can really do great things with one, but if you spend all your time screwing around with bugs, forget it.

Do not build your own CNC if you want to use a CNC machine. IF you want to build one for the sake of building it, then go for it.

Check these machines at AXYZ Automation Inc. http://www.axyz.com/signmaking.html

P

Shopbots are pretty good, but when you really examine the way they are made, (bearings, rails etc.) along with the new pricing, I would get a real CNC. You can really do great things with one, but if you spend all your time screwing around with bugs, forget it.

Do not build your own CNC if you want to use a CNC machine. IF you want to build one for the sake of building it, then go for it.

Check these machines at AXYZ Automation Inc. http://www.axyz.com/signmaking.html

P

I have to greatly disagree with you.

I've had mine for soon to be 3 years and friends who have had theirs for 8+ and none of us have had any real problems. And for a little under 20k?

I use about under 10% of the real function of what my table can do. I've checked the edge quality of a AXYZ and Multicam, and I see real little difference. But if you want the register scanner, the tool changer and have the budget to spend $60k-$100k then I would too. But I have yet to need a tool changer or scan for contour cuts yet. I'm still making channel letter backs, FCO's and dimensional Signs and I couldn't recommend a better company than shopbottools. I think the table depends on what your doing. I'm real big on edge quality, so far no complaints from acrylics to aluminum. I'm doing ADA signs if that tells you how detailed the machine is capable of being.

I have yet to meet a better company with better support and supportive community than shopbot.

My 2 pennied opinion :thumb:

mtmdesigns

I have to greatly disagree with you.

I've had mine for soon to be 3 years and friends who have had theirs for 8+ and none of us have had any real problems. And for a little under 20k?

I use about under 10% of the real function of what my table can do. I've checked the edge quality of a AXYZ and Multicam, and I see real little difference. But if you want the register scanner, the tool changer and have the budget to spend $60k-$100k then I would too. But I have yet to need a tool changer or scan for contour cuts yet. I'm still making channel letter backs, FCO's and dimensional Signs and I couldn't recommend a better company than shopbottools. I think the table depends on what your doing. I'm real big on edge quality, so far no complaints from acrylics to aluminum. I'm doing ADA signs if that tells you how detailed the machine is capable of being.

I have yet to meet a better company with better support and supportive community than shopbot.

My 2 pennied opinion :thumb:

i would agree 100% i have ran multicam cnc's for 6 years and i always wonder why they are so heavy duty.... I mean if ur cutting through 1" thick acrlylic all the time then yes but for pvc and anything under a .25 inch check out cnczone.com these guys are making cnc's for less then 5 g's in there garage that will do basically the same thing a multicam will with the right operator...:Cool 2:

Well the sure weight of a machine can help out in preventing vibration and the advantage of that will in turn be better edge quality. I've been doing 1" acrylic for push thru's and have done 1/2" aluminum letters no problem. Servo's are of course faster than steppers, but believe me, you only want to go so fast thru material to achieve a good edge, if that's important to you. I have yet to go faster than 2.5" IPS thru anything. I can go 8" i suppose..... but you'll start to lose quality. I have the Alpha and 3hp Colombo HF spindle, it cuts thru all my materials like butter.

imaSIGNr

Haven't looked at it. I do all hand carved still and don't plan to get one, however my observation is that Craftsman products have really gone downhill over the years. I feel like I had bought at least one of almost everything they sold over the past 10 years and about 98% of everything was junk ( except their handtools like wrenches ). Terrible repair service. Don't buy anything that has moving parts. I tore up my Sears card and will never buy anything from them again.......my.02

tgm

The only reason Sears carries it is for the profit they make. Period. I doubt they could care less how well it was made. The guy selling is using Sears to take care of his marketing and obvious returns and I am syre he is paying for it. I ha a chance to review one in person and what a piece of crap! It's equal to a cheap printer on steroids! For a guy in his basement that has a hankering to play with a CNC, OK, but is has no business whatsoever in business setting where one must rely on equipment to earn a living. The thing only costs 2K to sell, what did it cost to make?? Has anyone stopped to figure out what quality parts costs?
One servo on my 5x10 Multicam costs more than the complete machine...
That's all we need in the business is someone who thinks he can complete in a CNC production environment and then starts to throw out ridiculously low production based on this TOY.
If anyone thinks this product is going to change the CNC industry, they are truly mistaken. A fly in the ointment, so to speak.

Tom in PA

player

Why does Shopbot not show off their great bearings and rails?

Because they are not very good.

If I was going to put that kind of money (12-14K) I would want real rails and bearings, not a piece of sharpened angle iron.

P

Why does Shopbot not show off their great bearings and rails?

Because they are not very good.

If I was going to put that kind of money (12-14K) I would want real rails and bearings, not a piece of sharpened angle iron.

P

I'm trying to understand your point.

Yes railing, with rolling bearings, gantry moved by steppers. Quality cuts on a low priced good quality machine. Like I said, no real complaints.

If I was going to put that kind of money (12-14K) I would want real rails and bearings

I'd like you to name a better 12-14k machine that is of better quality and value.

player

Having done the Shopbot route before, I would get the extra 5 or 10K and get a real solid super cool cnc...

P

Maybe you had a bad experience. Maybe your table was not put together properly, older table I would guess? PR? Router for cutting?

Have you looked at the new PRS Alpha, quite nice :thumb:

I have mine pretty dialed in, my table harmonics while cutting is excellent. I personally can't justify spending 30-50k on a machine where my 20k table is doing just that. A under 20k shopbot table is not supposed to keep up with a 50k table but it does just that. For what I do and substrates I route, I can't justify spending more.

For very little money I can change my 4x8 to a 5x12, add another Y stepper to improve cut quality, add a second Z option to run with my sindle, and even get into gearing and I probably still won't be at 20K and well under 25k.

As a entry level CNC the shopbot out performs well over what a user invests. I just about paid for my table on the first job I got using it.

That being said, would I "Like" to have a $100,000 like a Multicam? Well sure, it would be a nice luxury. But after spending some time with my CNC, I'm not sure how much better quality I'm going to get in my parts that what I already have now.

But thinking about a tool changer, that would be a nice option to have.