• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cocut huge price cut

Techman

see it here..

What's New in CoCut Professional 2015?
• Plug-in 1: CorelDRAW X7 - Cut directly from vector graphics program CorelDRAW.
• Plug-in 2: Illustrator CC - Cut directly from the vector-based graphics and drawing program Adobe Illustrator.
• Plug-in 3: AutoCAD 2015 - Cut directly from the CAD program AutoCAD from AutoDesk
• Plug-in 4: InDesign from CS4 - For the first time in CoCut - Cuts directly from the professional layout and typesetting program Adobe InDesign.
• Plug-in 5: Inkscape - For the first time in CoCut - Cuts directly from the free, platform-independent software Inkscape which allows editing and creation of vector graphics.

New: 5 CoCut own welding functions can be used directly in CorelDraw, Illustrator and InDesign

http://www.cocut.com/index.dml?unten=auftrag/price.dml&von=html&nll=CC16_O_2

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
There are some applications where AutoCAD is used to design products such as templates /patterns, special painting or etching masks, and so on. AutoCAD is more precise, and it has the ability to create complex 2-D geometry better (besides it is an industry standard for many companies). However, it is not so good for working with artistic text because it wasn't really designed for that purpose. It's strength is vectors.

For difficult vector trouble, we'll usually edit them in AutoCAD and then export into Omega, Illy and SignLab. If one program has issues with the file, usually one of the others will come through without any problems.

Having the ability to cut directly from AutoCAD avoids having to purchase a program that can only "translate" .dxf data (AutoCAD language) into HPGL (plotter language) for plotter cutting. Sometimes that translation process creates errors in the geometry and makes a real mess with jagged or broken lines.

Why do I "really" use AutoCAD?

In a former life, I was a tool and die maker/engineer. I now use AutoCAD to design our own "one-of-a-kind" specialty tools (which essentially become our competitive advantage since nobody else has anything like it). I typically plot out the drawings and glue them to coroplast to make visual mockups or working prototypes before we commit to having the steel waterjet or laser cut. If we didn't do all those extra things, then I could get by with just about any vinyl cutting program.

Some days, the thrill of addressing a problem and then engineering a special tool or solution is more enjoyable than getting the finished product out the door.

JB

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
OK so now you have to tell me about your specialty tools!

We do stone/monument engraving and the reason I frequent this forum is for the discussions in the layout /design, typography and (Gerber) plotter cutting threads. 99.9% of what we run through our plotter is sandblast material. I also follow the business management threads as well.

As far as the specialty tools go...I can't give too many details because they allow us to compete (in certain areas) with larger shops that utilize bigger and better equipment or have more personnel. Many of the tools pertain to material handling and streamlined throughput. Other tools are machine specific and are improvements to OEM equipment.

Unlike most engineers, I like "simple", and the amazing thing is that nearly every tool I make borders on the realm of extremely "low-tech". Perhaps that's why nobody has thought of those ideas before. The cost to patent them would be too much for me at this time so they're worth more to me, and the business, as trade secrets.

JB

dypinc

I will never understand some of these companies that only go after half the market, and when it comes to graphics less than half.

Of the clients that I print for only 2 out of 10 use Windows.

Techman

Of all those I work with.. only one in the past year used something other than windows. One out of dozens.. And he had an adapter of some kind to make his stuff work with windows equipment.

WildWestDesigns

I will never understand some of these companies that only go after half the market, and when it comes to graphics less than half.

Of the clients that I print for only 2 out of 10 use Windows.

I would actually be surprised if you look at total market share OS that some type of Windows based isn't more then half the total market. Remember to be majority, all you need is 51%. In my industry, I only know of 1 software that isn't on a windows platform and it's a consumer level software (price wise). All commercial software is windows based. The one open source alternative that would also be available on Linux is pathetic. It has a decent promise, but no active development for 13 yrs. All people are basically doing is porting it to newer OSs.

One thing that you have to be mindful (and I kind of find ironic) is that those that claim to be Mac only, I've noticed some of them (not all, but some) use a virtualization of Windows to run some software that is only available for Windows. To me that negates being a Mac only, but I can be literal like that.

dypinc

I would actually be surprised if you look at total market share OS that some type of Windows based isn't more then half the total market. Remember to be majority, all you need is 51%. In my industry, I only know of 1 software that isn't on a windows platform and it's a consumer level software (price wise). All commercial software is windows based. The one open source alternative that would also be available on Linux is pathetic. It has a decent promise, but no active development for 13 yrs. All people are basically doing is porting it to newer OSs.

One thing that you have to be mindful (and I kind of find ironic) is that those that claim to be Mac only, I've noticed some of them (not all, but some) use a virtualization of Windows to run some software that is only available for Windows. To me that negates being a Mac only, but I can be literal like that.

I don't want to get into any OS wars here, just reporting what I see in this area, which always puzzles me when I see Windows only software companies. I guess OS usage must be different in other areas.

Yes I do use Windows for what I have to use it for, RIPs mostly but my RIPs do have Mac clients. Windows is not my OS of choice but then that is my personal or maybe should say business choice.

WildWestDesigns

I don't want to get into any OS wars here, just reporting what I see in this area, which always puzzles me when I see Windows only software companies.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like I was trying to spark an OS war. What I was trying to say was that even though you have 2 big OS system out there (you have Linux as well, but that's what 10% market share, if that?), saying that a software company is only going after half the market, isn't exactly true. They are going for 1 out of 2 OSs yes, that is half, but if you look at how many people use one OS over another, I doubt that that number is truly half. Last time I looked, it wasn't, but I do admit that has been a good long while since I looked.

I actually prefer Linux over Windows, but there is very little support (try zilch) for my main bread and butter software. Thankfully it is Windows based and I do prefer Windows over Mac, but again, my intent was not to start an OS war.

I guess OS usage must be different in other areas.

I'm not exactly sure if you mean geographic areas or areas of discipline. I think it's more areas of discipline myself, but in some areas that has shifted to a degree. I know apparel decorating is majority Windows, especially with embroidery as, like I said, I am only aware of 1 software that is geared to Mac users and that is home software.

Personally, I'm glad to see commercial plugins available for Inkscape (or open source programs in general). I wish Inkscape was a more viable alternative, that why I wouldn't have to worry about virtualization of my Win 7 OS for my next build. Inkscape .9 is closer, but it still has a way to go, atleast based on the developers version that I tried a couple of months back.