• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold-calling and gaining new clients.

signguy 55

I've been in this business almost 25 years and started from scratch cold calling. This of course was before the internet and emails, etc. I would have a goal to make a certain amount of calls each week. I would target businesses that needed a sign repainted (this was before vinyl). You'd be surprised how many business owners park in the back of their businesses and never pay attention to their storefront.

Never ask a yes or no question. When it came to deposits I would ask, "Would you rather do a 25% or 50% deposit, and I'll put you at the top of my list to get the sign done." Even a 25% deposit would cover most of my materials, again mostly paint, etc.

In sales you will realize your success rate, say 10%. So for every "No" you get you realize you're getting closer to a sale, statistics don't lie. Don't be too proud to make sales calls. Many business owners appreciate it when you say " My business is to make your business look good".

I recently did a cold call and left a card with a price on the back to repaint a sandblasted redwood sign for a visitor's bureau. I was told several sign companies had called on the phone wanting to quote the job but I was the only one that actually came in to talk face to face. When the customer says something like that it makes you realize how important spending a few minutes each day in sales works.

If your business is in a slump, rethink your attitude toward getting out and "beating the bushes". Some guys would rather weed 1/4" letters all day than make one sales call.