• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold Weather Glass Application Advice

Sven

I'm looking for some advice on applying lettering to glass in temperatures around 30-35 degrees. I haven't found Rapid Tac to be of much help. I've considered heating the glass with a blow dryer, but I can just imagine it shattering into a thousand pieces. Any help is appreciated..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I hate saying this, but if, you're not good doing it dry, try Rapid II will work. Let the application tape remain on until you can peel it without lifting anything. You might need to leave and come back the next day. If that's too inconvenient, as your customer just to gently remove the tape 24 hours later.

Kottwitz-Graphics

dry install or rapid tac 2

Dry install X100...

I learned the hard way a long time ago about Rapid Tac and glass. In fact, I won't even use Rapic Tac 2 on glass...It still makes it too easy to peel off when removing the application tape.

And to compound it applying in cold temps, it won't ever dry. If its a line of copy, tape it up, and cut it into more managable sections. If its a solid image, use the center hinge method, and get an extra pair of hands to hold.

rjssigns

We use either a flat radiant panel or quartz tube heater on the inside surface when applying to single pane. Last one we did like that it was 31F. We've done installs just below freezing using a torpedo heater on the outside of IG panels. Never get too close though. Just enough so we can feel our fingertips.LOL

401Graphics

i always install dry in the winter. I dont want to sit there and wait til it is ok to take the transfer tape off.

Keith Jenicek

Just did it dry on a window this past weekend. It was 35 degrees & everything turned out fine. My modified 10" Big Squeegee came in handy on the larger graphics.

I cleaned the glass with a razor to get off any paint. Any adhesive residue on the window was addressed with All-Off or Rapid Prep. Then cleaned the glass with 50/50, water/alcohol VERY thoughly using a lint free rag.

I only removed about 6" of backer liner at a time for the installation & everything went perfect.

No center hinges were used on installation, that is..all of the hinges were on the edges of the vinyl. Just top, bottom & diagonal.

tattoo.dan

Just did 5 windows this morning...22 degrees...dry is by far best way to go and should stick just like it was 80 degrees...

signman0808

Cold weather installs.....

All I've got to say, you guys need to move to a warmer climate!Installing outdoor vinyl in 22 degree weather!!!!, NOT this guy!

Hang in there guys!

RwJ

DizzyMarkus

lol 8 here today in upsate NY-- not for me today :0)

I use Rapid Tac II for Inter and Rapid for cast -- I only lightly spray the window when its cold, no saturating as you'll wait to the cows come home :smile:

Markus

Berferful

cold install

I had a similar question on the forum last week. We decided to dive in and just do it. It was around 28 degrees . We installed everything dry without a hitch.

Attachments

• YMCA.jpg
    YMCA.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 97

skyhigh

All I've got to say, you guys need to move to a warmer climate!Installing outdoor vinyl in 22 degree weather!!!!, NOT this guy!

Hang in there guys!

RwJ

Wimp. :Big Laugh

Its 9:13 am, and currently 7*f out. Its warmed up considerably since I was out at 5:30.

I've lettered windows as low as 5*f. I used a hair dryer (afraid of the heat gun), to slowly warm the window. I figured I only had to get the area up to 40* for a good stick. I apply the graphics, then warm up before taking the transfer tape off, or directly to the print (and the inside of the glass too). No problems.

My experience was on doors only (40% coverage). Anything larger....don't know what I'd do. Wait for warmer weather, or use the torpedo heater like RJ mentioned.....and pray.

skyhigh

I had a similar question on the forum last week. We decided to dive in and just do it. It was around 28 degrees . We installed everything dry without a hitch.

Hey Steve....
Do you have the Y Graphic Standards publication, and the supplement for Signage? I can send those to you if you don't.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are there vinyls that are better suited for application in the cold?

SP

No.

I don't think there's a soul here using a vinyl which states it should be applied below 50º.

It's an actual fact that the adhesive [glue part] side of the vinyl which when very cold the molecules don't move very fast, which equates to a non-sticking kinda arrangement. On top of that, mountng to glass, which is even cold in the summertime, you're trying to stick a practically non-stickalbe surface onto something around 0º or less temperatures and unless the molecules are busier than H*ll they ain't gonna stick 100% for quite some time. That's why the need for heat. However, let's add the wetness factor which even makes for a less stickier surface now on both sides....... you've created a mess.

Unless you wanna chance replacing a pane of glass cause unless the glass is tempered pretty hard, you run a great risk of breaking the glass.... you might just wanna do it dry, take your chances without heat or wait for warmer weather.

DizzyMarkus

Berferful

Isn't the new YMCA logo blue and green. I just did some decals for our local and they had me use a blue/green Y -- said the orange was the older logo. Ut oh hehe

Thank you,
Markus

skyhigh

Berferful

Isn't the new YMCA logo blue and green. I just did some decals for our local and they had me use a blue/green Y -- said the orange was the older logo. Ut oh hehe

Thank you,
Markus

Then the director of your local chapter is a buffoon.

skyhigh

There are 5 color combinations. Share this with your director, and you will become his #1 go-to sign guy. There is a 62 page graphics standards publication, along with a supplement for signage.

ps. And don't put an outline around the logo.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

DizzyMarkus

Thanks, and to think I only asked :thumb:

I was serious tho. Is there a "latest" color combination or are they all used at any given time? Bafoon or not thats what they asked for -- I myself dont keep up with the most current YMCA colors hehe

If your honest then thank you greatly :0) -- sometimes it hard to tell on here lol

I appreciate it,
Markus

OlsonSigns601

On the same subject, I've got a 53" x 70" window perf to do on a front store window I've just put on hold for a warm day....

I've never installed something like that below freezing, anyone see a problem with that going on?