Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color Issues

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by southernink, Jan 25, 2019.

1. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    I have a Roland SP-540V using Nazdar inks and my issue is my yellows and grays all have a green tint. Even printing at 100% yellow with no other colors. Is there a brand of ink that has a true yellow? It is affecting how other colors print.

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Are you telling the RIP/Device to print it as 100% yellow or just creating a file with 100% yellow?

3. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    I created a file with 100% yellow.

4. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    The output color mode in RIP is set to CMYK Sol(2 bit).

5. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Your color profile is probably just not suited for that material. When you send 100% yellow to the RIP and color correction is turned on, the RIP reinterprets it based on the color profile you chose. So 100% yellow can become 92% yellow, 5% cyan, 1% magenta, and 0% black. That little bit of cyan turns it greenish. This is why making your own profiles is the only way to have complete control over your colors. Your options are basically to use trial and error and find a profile that someone else has made that works better, make your own profiles, or create a spot color and map it to the RIP so that when you send 100% yellow it doesn't try to correct it. You can also turn color correction off in the RIP and it will print exactly what you put in your design software but this can have really bad outcomes such as extreme over-saturation where ink literally pools up instead of drying.

• Like Like x 1
  6. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    Thank you for your advice. I'll try creating my own profiles as switching brands of ink looks to be a huge ordeal.

7. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Before you get too crazy switching inks. profiling etc... do a fill test. That will blast long strips of pure color across the width of the media. In your case one each of CMYK. Fill test is not influenced by the RIP. It is in the service menu driven by the machines firmware.

That will tell you if there is an ink issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    I'm trying to find where to do this fill test in the service menu and I'm not having any luck finding it.

9. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    I found the fill test.

10. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    Just did the fill test and colors look awesome, especially the yellow. So now the question is how do I get this awesome yellow output in RIP?

11. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Make a 100% yellow square in Illustrator. Save as press quality PDF. In output make sure it says No Conversion and Don't Include Profiles. Print and see what you get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bannertime

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Also, I don't think it's been said, but what RIP are you using?

13. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    Oh my Lord! Turning color correction off has made a huge difference. I just hope I don't have saturation issues. Thank you for your help.

14. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    Flexi Sign Production Manager.

15. bannertime

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    In the Job Properties, right before you'd tell the job to RIP, click the Object Color Control. Hover over the yellow and you'll see two sets of CMYK numbers, something like 0,0,100,0 and probably something more like the 5,0,100,0 that VanderJVanderJ mentioned. You likely want to keep Color Correction on, so this is where you can tweak specific colors and skip color correction for the same. Does take some trial and error.

That does not mean you don't need to create your own profiles though. Just a way to make on the fly corrections. We use it mostly for adjusting blacks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. southernink

southernink New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Arab, AL
    Thank you. That gives me another option to help control my colors.