• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color match issue

snowsigns

Hello All, first time ever writing into a sigh forum, but really needed help from the experts. So I have a trailer wrap that I need to match to a motorhome, (or come close). So I messed around with colors in flexi, .ai, PMS charts, etc. Print and tweak until I get a color good, (which looks terrible inside under my shop lights), take it outside in the UV and it looks pretty close. I print a large proof, laminate it and then take it outside and OH NO! The laminate blocks some of the UV so the color does not change outside like the non-laminated vinyl. AAAGH! :Oops: Now what?

Here is the kicker, client says he has gone through 4 wrap/sign companies who can't do the job, and I am number 5 and would really really like to be the one to come through on this. Does anyone have experience with the X-Rite Color Management system offered through Roland? Is it worth my $2K investment? I appreciate any help or advice at all, thank-you.

Terremoto

Here is the kicker, client says he has gone through 4 wrap/sign companies who can't do the job, and I am number 5

When the client told you that it should have triggered the "Mission Impossible" ringtone. I would try and bow out of this one as diplomatically as possible and move on to a job where you're going to make a profit and do so with much less grief.

Dan

Last edited:

snowsigns

When the client told you that it should have triggered the "Mission Impossible" ringtone. I would try and bow out of this one as diplomatically as possible and move on to a job where you're going to make a profit with do so with much less grief.

Dan
Thank-you for your reply, and
Yes, You are probably right, sometimes I forget it is about making money. lol Just the same, I am still interested if anyone has any feedback on the X-rite color matching system.

Thank-you for your reply, and
Yes, You are probably right, sometimes I forget it is about making money. lol Just the same, I am still interested if anyone has any feedback on the X-rite color matching system.

The X-Rite system does exactly what is supposed to do. Assuming that you are talking about i1Publish Pro 2, you can use it to profile your displays (monitors), as well as printers (both large and small-format).

There is a significant learning curve to building RIP-based printer profiles that needs to be considered and accounted for. Rest assured, the XRite equipment requires skilled operators to maximize it's effectiveness.

snowsigns

The X-Rite system does exactly what is supposed to do. Assuming that you are talking about i1Publish Pro 2, you can use it to profile your displays (monitors), as well as printers (both large and small-format).

There is a significant learning curve to building RIP-based printer profiles that needs to be considered and accounted for. Rest assured, the XRite equipment requires skilled operators to maximize it's effectiveness.

Thank-You Castek..great information. I can see how calibrating the monitors and printer would be nice to have, but for a situation such as this, maybe I need to consider something that can either scan a color on a job site, or set up a printer to print an actual PMS color swatch. So many times we have taked a swatch book out to a job, matched a color and tried to print that PMS color on our Roland VP540i and no go...tweaking and time helps of course, but what a pain. If anyone has any other suggestions as to a color system that would work for this situation I am all ears.

petepaz

if 4 other installers tried but couldn't satisfy the customer sounds like they may just be trouble. it's always a problem to match colors from previous jobs(especially if you didn't do the first one) but if you have to time to try and figure it out good luck.
and on the XRite we are just starting to look into it so don't really have any info. right now we use an online program called catzper works pretty good for color matching. i am sure there are better tools but for now it works good enough for us.

Use a spectrophotometer to build your profile with a UV-Cut filter

With the XRite i1 Pro2 device, this is no longer an issue, as the unit can run in both cut and non-cut modes. M0 = unfiltered, M2=UV excluded

Even with the previous device, many of the profiling software apps can perform the UV cut in software (i1Match/ ProfileMaker 5, Monaco, etc).

HaroldDesign

With the XRite i1 Pro2 device, this is no longer an issue, as the unit can run in both cut and non-cut modes. M0 = unfiltered, M2=UV excluded

Even with the previous device, many of the profiling software apps can perform the UV cut in software (i1Match/ ProfileMaker 5, Monaco, etc).
Interesting!
I feel old-school, or just old.

Thank-You Castek..great information. I can see how calibrating the monitors and printer would be nice to have, but for a situation such as this, maybe I need to consider something that can either scan a color on a job site, or set up a printer to print an actual PMS color swatch. So many times we have taked a swatch book out to a job, matched a color and tried to print that PMS color on our Roland VP540i and no go...tweaking and time helps of course, but what a pain. If anyone has any other suggestions as to a color system that would work for this situation I am all ears.

Assuming that you are running a Roland printer (perhaps I missed this if you are or not), using the Roland Color System through Versaworks is clearly the easiest to use, for many reasons. It is simple, and all color representations are based on the inkset and media that you are using.

Like many other RIPs, Versaworks does permit you to generate new spot colors (Edit Menu > Spot Color Settings), and define them based on LAB values. This provides a very accurate definition of the color, which resolves the first issue in color reproduction.

The color profiles and engine in the RIP are responsible for the color match (the second issue). This requires a supported spectrophotometer of course.

Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Do not just take any swatch book out to match something or if you do, plan to match that to your own chart. Take YOUR swatch book out. In other words print the entire Pantone chart on your most commonly used materials then laminate them and cut them up. I posted a PDF a while back on here with the Pantone chart in a nice format that prints the entire chart on 15 13" x 10" pages.

This way I know that the color I just matched I can print exact since its printed on my machine with a specific known profile and resolution and it is printed on the exact vinyl and laminated with the exact laminate I'll be using. Beyond that I do create our own profiles as well with an i1 device which also helps.

snowsigns

Do not just take any swatch book out to match something or if you do, plan to match that to your own chart. Take YOUR swatch book out. In other words print the entire Pantone chart on your most commonly used materials then laminate them and cut them up. I posted a PDF a while back on here with the Pantone chart in a nice format that prints the entire chart on 15 13" x 10" pages.

This way I know that the color I just matched I can print exact since its printed on my machine with a specific known profile and resolution and it is printed on the exact vinyl and laminated with the exact laminate I'll be using. Beyond that I do create our own profiles as well with an i1 device which also helps.

I love this. :thumb: If you find that PDF let me know. thanks for your time

CheapVehicleWrap

Face it. You took on a job you can not handle, and I'm sure you didn't charge enough for. I suggest burning as much ink, vinyl, laminate and time that you can to provide what you promised an be the HERO! Call it a "learning experience" if you will.