• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

colored mdf

larryo

does any one know where I can get coloured mdf in ontario canada. I need out door usagematerial. It is avalable in the states but having a hard time finding it here. I want to make a bunch if signs 7inches x 24 inches. The material that I want has a laminate surface coat on both sides with a mdf centre. It does not have phemelihide glue. I think you know the material that I want . Thanks in advance for any help. :Canada 2:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
why not use aluma panel,plywood with aluminum on it and u put plastic edge trim around it

Why would anyone want to screw around with anything plywood? Use Alumalite or Nudo board or whatever's available in your village. Synthetic laminates will last through the next ice age. Plywood, even plywood with Al on it, is figuring a way to come apart from the moment it's made.

larryo

Hi aluma panel is good for most sign work never heard of nudo panel, Never heard of mdo. but this stuff is partical board or sawdust board as I call it. mdf with melemine on both front and back. it uses a different glue so it is water resistent.
There is also a plastic board that is made of plastic with wood sawdust in it good stuff but it is plastic. dont look good. and most paint will let go over time like a year or two.
The signs I am making are V carved on my cnc machne. I can get furniture grade stuff it has a covering of veneer, paper, and melimine but it is not water proof. As soon as it gets damp it swells up.
Yes I dont whant to use plywood. To much work to finish it. To may voids.
I should have said the material needs to be 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick as the face is carved from a 1/8 to 3/8 inch deep. I found 3 or 4 companys that make this product but they will not sell to the public as they say. everything is shipped to the states. Mostly the lower states. that is the problem up here. I really dont whant to have to re import it. I think the companies are american owned. These signs are like the house signs that you see in front of peoples homes and they are carved. We do have the material up here. I have used it before but the company that had it is out of business now. their phone will not work.:help