• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colors look spotty.

kanini

Have you tried another profile? Sometimes the downloaded ones will just not work for some reason although they are the manufacturers profiles and all. I agree with the other posts that you should get smoother colors, I have a matte vinyl that prints like your sample on anything other than high quality mode - slow but it's the material. Other vinyls work well. How does the Versaworks pallette/Roland color swatch print, are they also grainy = material/profile issue.

klingsdesigns

Have you tried another profile? Sometimes the downloaded ones will just not work for some reason although they are the manufacturers profiles and all. I agree with the other posts that you should get smoother colors, I have a matte vinyl that prints like your sample on anything other than high quality mode - slow but it's the material. Other vinyls work well. How does the Versaworks pallette/Roland color swatch print, are they also grainy = material/profile issue.

The versaworks pallette /roland color swatch print are also grainy.

hansman

My bet is also on heat settings as many have said above.
Be sure your profiles are set to use heat settings from profile. Otherwise it will use what is set on the printer.
The pre-heat and the print-heater settings probably need to be tweaked. (if you printer has a pre-heat) The XC540 has a pre not sure about VP540.
Try making a copy of your profile and editing the heat settings within the profile in VW. Be sure your pre-heat is a few degrees less than your print setting. The formula that worked for us is 4-5 less than print heater on the pre-heat.

In addition to heat, grainy solids can also be attributable to several other factors:

1. Drop Accuracy - Perform a bi-directional calibration, and slow down the carriage (head) speed. Both of these can serve to improve dot placement accuracy.
2. GCR settings in the Media Profile - For non-Roland Color System colors, including RGB, CMYK, and Pantone colors, Versaworks uses the ICC Profile. Too much GCR in the ICC will cause peppering in quartertones and highlights. GCR settings are defined in the output ICC profile.