• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colorspan (HP) 72uvx Vacuum

N Design

The pump that holds the ink just went out on us today. Was wondering if you could find this vacuum regulator other than ordering it from HP? Seems like after 2-3 years everything goes to heck on the machine.

Mspec

if you google the part number on the regulator, you should be able to find a replacement. If not you should be able to buy just the regulator from HP for a fairly reasonable price. it is more likely that the internal filter or the restrictor is clogged, but the regulators do fail eventually. If you can't adjust vacuum, look for a new regulator, if the vacuum is too slow to recover, look at replacement of the internal filter, or cleaning the restrictor ( small brass fitting located in the small tubing just off the regulator )

Good luck.

Typestries

+1 to mspec, it may also be the pressure sensor, which you can get from digikey for about $100. I'd check the acrodisc filters first, though.

brookellis

Hey guys! So I've been having a crap load of problems with my 72 uvx as well. Just as N Design stated. It seems as if after a couple years these things just give out. I recently had to troubleshoot the vacuum on the printer. Thank you for the help! So far I've decided it's the regulator. I think we're going to order a few in case anyone ever needs one and like us doesn't want to pay the HP price. Also, we have a bunch of unused parts from the 72 uvx. Even 2 brains I believe. If you guys ever need any parts let me know. Thanks for the help again!

I also have a 72UVX thats been sitting for a while. The ink wasnt properly flushed before it went into storage. Do you guys think this thing is ruined? how much to replace lines/heads, ect?

Thanks

JameyCunningham

Regulator

My colorspan UVR72 had 2 pumps. One when out and I found the maker's name on it and googled it. They sent me a new one for cheap and then the other went out so you might want to buy two if there is 2.

Signgirl Tammy

UVX-98 Vacuum

Our UVX-98 is saying the vacuum pressure is not recovering. We put a new vacuum system in last year. It seems to be printing fine. It's also telling me that the vacuum pressure is too low, yet it's staying around 5.5-6.5. Any suggestions? Out of service contract naturally.....

Typestries

no gaurantee-but probably leak in vacuum line in the igus assembly. Disconnect the vacuum line at the carriage side and at the vac pump side. Pressure test with low pressure air and listen for leaks. That's the section that's most likely to develop a crack. It only takes a tiny crack-if its there it will whistle when you put compressed air in the tube.

kev324

Could also check the restrictor if it is not recovering. It's the tiny brass piece inline just past the regulator. It runs about $12. Allegedly it can be cleaned with a tiny piece of wire, etc. but I've not tried it. The printer was telling me the pressure was unknown but the heads weren't dripping and it was printing fine. I unplugged the line on one side of the restrictor, plugged back in and it seemed to fix it. We ended up replacing the restrictor just for piece of mind. Heck, most of the printer has been replaced, what's another $12?!

Page 6 of the HP Vacuum Pressure System Operator's Guide also mentions the restrictor being the culprit behind the "Vacuum Not Recovering" message. Replacing the acrodisc filters in the assembly may help too. That cleared an intermittent problem I had maintaining pressure after replacing the faulty regulator(thanks guys for the info with that).

Here's a link to the vacuum pressure guide if anybody needs it.
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01666249/c01666249.pdf

Last edited:

vtilton

We have had our vacuum pump go out a few times. What you need to replace are the vacuum motors. I will attach some pictures as soon as they upload from my phone. The motors are plug and play. I have had the dripping ink problem and after many troubleshooting solutions replacing the two pump motors is what finally worked. Do not let HP talk you in to replacing the whole unit these motors fail and if you replace the whole unit every time these motors fail you will be in the poor house.

hydo1

I hate to keep resurrecting this thread, but I have a vacuum issue that I wanted to see if anybody else here has encountered.

Basically the vacuum keeps shutting off completely (It stops "clicking") until I come over and tap the side of it. Sometimes it happens constantly during the day and during printing, but before it started acting up a few weeks ago I had a 8 month period where it was fine. This has been going on for a year and a half.

If anybody has any ideas as to what this might be, or if they have encountered it at all I am all ears. I'm trying to find a supplier to replace the two Buehler motors and see if that fixes anything.

Hzone15

Brinker:

If it is not properly flushed you do risk bad heads and pumps. You will find this machine selling on webpages for 5,000 or less that state that the machine was taken out of service 1 year ago and is sitting in a corner. For those that know each head is 1,500 plus labor.

H

Mspec

sorry I did not see your post earlier. Your switch has developed a micro-weld. The contacts are all carboned up, and they have started to fuse together preventing them from opening again. I have not looked at one of those in a long time, but I seem to remember that there may have been two sides to that relay, ( I am talking about the white cube-ish part inside your vacuum pump housing ) if there is a free side to the relay, try using the other set of connectors, otherwise try to find a replacement by looking up the part number listed on the housing. it should be easy to replace.