• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Communication Problem Help!

Bannerday

Having problems getting jobs over to my HP l25500 today.

We're using Flexi 8.6v2 and getting "Printer status return error".

"Unknown exception is thrown in initializing job"

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as of course we have an important job
to get out today.

Thanks.

It sounds like a communication error from the printer to the RIP. Are you running Avast anti-virus by chance? I know that a recent upgrade to that AV product has caused problems form other RIPS (Onyx, Caldera). You might try temporarily disabling your Anti-Virus and try again...

CS-SignSupply

Same file throwing the error all the time? Try a small test print from the Production manager. Also, try to RIP the file first and hold, then release to print.

bbeens

+1 to Casteks's comment. Rather tricky to troubleshoot that issue. There is a control for limiting Avast to only check traffic to common browsers and not check any other programs. If you enable this control the issues related to communications were resolved, at least with Wasatch. Although I wouldn't be surprised if this 'fix' worked with other RIPs as well.

Bryan

Bannerday

Well, it is definitely has something to do with the anti virus. We are using AVG & never had a problem.

I temporarily disabled it & the banner ran fine. I tried to run another banner with the virus protection on & again got the same error.

I then kept the anti virus on but turned off the firewall and the banner ran fine.

I don't know a lot about virus protection and I'm reluctant to turn my firewall off permanently.

How should I approach this, so I'm still safe but can get the printer to run?

signage

Sounds like you need to give the IP address premission! So look into that with your firewall/antivirus program.

bbeens

Most firewall programs will have an 'exclusion' list or something similar. Add the IP address to your HP to this list and you should be fixed. I'm sure AVG has documentation on adding an IP address or URL to be excluded from scanning.

Bryan

Bannerday

Thanks everyone for the help.

I got my order out the door, so now I can poke around AVG and see how to
add that IP.

Hopefully, I won't have any further troubles. :thankyou:

Dave Rowland

interestin.... my new install of onyx will not finish printing... i have Nod32 on the machine... maybe time to disable it

HulkSmash

I suggest using a dedicated computer as a rip with no antivirus software. It will give you the best results.

signswi

I suggest using a dedicated computer as a rip with no antivirus software. It will give you the best results.

This, with the RIP cache on a different HD from the OS if possible and a GigE network.

If you really want anti-virus on your RIP computer use a passive scanner not an active scanner. ClamWin is a good one.