• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Company politics

RyBo

So, i work for a large print company(over 100 employees) spread out across many branches. My Branch was/is the only one doing sign making. When I started on 10 months ago, i had plenty of print world experience but nothing directly related to sign making. Within the past 10 months with very little guidence, i've basically trained myself (with much help from this forum) I ran a printer/cutter and learned things about that machine that no one else had ever had any idea about.. MANY things...
I put a great deal of energy into learning my craft, and really quite enjoyed the challange of it all.
Now I've been transfered. My department is being taken over by someone with little to no motivation, a poor work ethic, and significantly less knowledge than me. The only reason I was the one transferred is because i was the least senoir employee at my branch by 4 months or so, and they needed to transfer or let some one go due to the harsh economic times.
Now my job is to stand at a photocopier all day, doing the job an untrained idiot can do.(getting overpaid for that position at least)

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about how to handle the politics involved here. I am miserable in this new position. They've taken a hard working and motivated worker, and turned him into an uncaring drone.

I need help on how to get back to the job i loved so much!!

iSign

I don't know how... but try to allow HIM to have the idea himself, to move you where you were effective (or even start a NEW second sign division, from scratch)

read "how to win friends & influence people" by Dale Carnagie
it is an all time classic & i really think there would be a lot of ideas in that book, that will help you with this negotiation!

weaselboogie

Your new replacement may do you more good than harm. With his work ethic, they may decide to move you back to the sign dept or the sign department to you.

CES020

Sorry to hear that, but it's probably more the normal than anything in big business. Do a google search of "The Peter Principle" and you'll learn it happens most everywhere. The people with the least experience often end up in the most powerful positions, that's the basic concept of the principle.

jscarl

Zip the lip. Be damn glad you are earning a living. The boss thought enough about "you" to keep you working.

anotherdog

Corporations don't think like people.
Your old department will now run at a loss. They will close it down and either not do signage or outsource it. Your new boss will be looking at his bottom line and ask you to either take a pay cut or lose you in the next round of cuts and replace you with said (cheaper) teenager.
Your best hope is probably to take your experience "managing" a corporate sign department before it gets too stale for a resume and go hunting.

DOGraphics

Tell them to "Go F**ked them selves"!

j/k

Have a cival and forward conversation with the "powers to be" and see what happens. Don't piss anyone off or be negative. The alternative my be "someone has to be let GO". That will probably be the low man on the totem pole. I'm just say'n

Checkers

"c'est la vie"

I agree with weasel's comments. Let it be known that you're still interested in the position. But, be patient. It may just be a matter of time before you're back in your old position.

Checkers

RyBo

Update

I know this thread is old, but if anyone is watching, thought i'd give an update.

After several months of boring photocopier work, i found a management position at another sign shop, for considerably more money.

Looks like it all worked out in the end. Start my new job in 2 weeks!!

Thanks All!

marcsitkin

Give the guy some rope-he'll hang himself. And keep abreast of goings on in the industry and keep your old boss up to date. When the replacement is gone, you'll be the next in line. In the mean time, you have a job, and a paycheck, and you are better off than many.

Big House Signs

I know this thread is old, but if anyone is watching, thought i'd give an update.

After several months of boring photocopier work, i found a management position at another sign shop, for considerably more money.

Looks like it all worked out in the end. Start my new job in 2 weeks!!

Thanks All!

Way to go!! Wishing you success and satisfaction with your new job!