• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Comparison question Summa Vs; colex, Gerber etc.

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Im just trying to gauge the lineup at this level of finishing equipment, I have a client asking some questions and I want to provide good info, any assistance will be appreciated.

Quark

Merchant Member
my understanding there are A, B, and C group of cutters. Zund & Esko are A's, Summa is a B, Colex-Gerber-Multicam-Etc are C

axelmk

Troy,
We’ve had our Colex 5x10 table for over a year now and we love it. So far the accuracy has been on the ball. Support has been really good as well.
My personal opinion, the support Presale that I received from Colex over Summa was by far greater. The support we have received after the sale has been impecable.
Have your customer call me if he needs anything.
Axel

Christian @ 2CT Media

Troy,
We’ve had our Colex 5x10 table for over a year now and we love it. So far the accuracy has been on the ball. Support has been really good as well.
My personal opinion, the support Presale that I received from Colex over Summa was by far greater. The support we have received after the sale has been impecable.
Have your customer call me if he needs anything.
Axel
What was your lead time on the colex?

Robert Gruner

Troy,

I suggest you ask the bloggers at this site what it is exactly that your client wants to know. I believe most important is what will be your customers primary application?

Quark suggests there are three categories, A (Zund, Esko), B (Summa), & C (Colex, Gerber, Multicam, & others). There was a time in the past where Zund and Esko (Kongsberg) were the best choice based on performance for both cutting rigid substrates and routing rigid substrates. Today, both units are still top performers for customers doing high volumes of cutting and routing; and, both units are by far, significantly higher priced than the other units listed. Gerber recently acquired MCT, another high performance cutter/router which competes quite favorably with Zund and Esko but at a slightly lower price point. I believe Summa F series and Colex will compete quite favorably against Zund, Esko, and Gerber/MCT for most ALL cutting applications; however, neither compete favorably against Zund, Esko, and Gerber/MCT if high volume routing is your customers principal requirement. It should be noted that both Summa and Colex are also significantly lower priced than the aforementioned products. Multicam and AXYZ advertise their products as competitive finishing cutters; however, I believe these units are better suited for high volume routing.

Axel noted that he purchased his Colex over a year ago and: "My personal opinion, the support Presale that I received from Colex over Summa was by far greater." Shame on Summa; however, it should be noted that at the time Axel was soliciting presale advice for a flatbed cutter/router, SummaAmerica had just reorganized its sales and marketing operation in NA. Today, I would expect you and your customer to get equal pre and post sales/service from Summa.

I hope this clears up some of your concerns. If you want more specific information, post what your client wants to finish!

Enjoy the day