• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Completely New to Signs

creativemikev

Hello Everyone,

As the title indicates, I'm completely new to signs and i am now a sign salesman. So i guess that's why I'm here, please let me know where i should start on this website so that i gain as knowledge about our products as possible. We offer pretty much everything but billboards. We do some printing like banners and business cards up to large pylon signs, monuments, and LED EMCS. I'm very ambitious just don't know the product like i should and also any sales people out there willing to give advice, I'm a sponge.

Thanks,
Mike

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Spend time in the shop every spare minute you can, and learn about your product....inside and out.

JB

player

Record all your transactions so you can go back and listen to what the customer wanted with someone who knows something. Then go back with the proposals.

ams

Learn to have thick skin on this forum, you will get attacked on a daily basis by some members.

rossmosh

1. Talk to the guys in the shop. Learn about what materials you use for various projects. Learn why you use one material vs another. Learn your construction techniques. Learn what machines you have and what your capabilities are.

2. Talk to the sales manager/owner. Find out what they like to sell. Find out what makes money. Find out what works and use that formula.

3. Go out and look around. What looks good? What doesn't? Why does it look good? Why doesn't it?

4. If you don't know, don't lie. Also don't just blow off the customer. Say something along the lines of "I'm not sure the answer on that one, let me write it down and find the answer for you." Then go back and find the answer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You only need a thick skin, if you don't honestly try to do things on your own. Those willing to learn will get all the help they need.

The easiest way, when you aren't feeling confident is to simply say........ Yes, we can do that. Two weeks and we'll have it ready for you. Then, go find out exactly how to do it and learn. Get your information here, u-tube or a friendly competitor...... just make sure it's correct. then start your reputation.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Learn to have thick skin on this forum, you will get attacked on a daily basis by some members.

You'll never make it selling anything with thin skin.
He can count his treatment here as basic training before he has to go out into the cold cruel world.

decalman

It helps to be an expert in your product or service in order to succeed in selling it.
Welcome to the forum.

creativemikev

Thanks for all the quick responses, i definitely have think skin so not worried about that haha. I also have a friend that works the router that has been a huge help and i have been in the shop every day for a brief amount of time and usually learn something every time. I essentially just cold call as of right now with okay success and get some leads from the owner. I really appreciate the help and where specifically would you guys point a newbie to first on this forum or on youtube.

ams

Thanks for all the quick responses, i definitely have think skin so not worried about that haha. I also have a friend that works the router that has been a huge help and i have been in the shop every day for a brief amount of time and usually learn something every time. I essentially just cold call as of right now with okay success and get some leads from the owner. I really appreciate the help and where specifically would you guys point a newbie to first on this forum or on youtube.

I've found out that cold calls are terrible for getting business. It's best to walk in and have samples with you, customers preference to see something rather than dream up what you are talking about.

Marlene

not sure how you plan to sell something you know nothing about or how you got the job but good luck

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Was every salesman born with the knowledge of their product? That's why i am here.

Well, then let's try this on for size. Are you new to sales or selling or buying things ?? What is your background ?? We already know it has nothing to do with signs at all.

MOST people are not born with anything up their sleeve except talent and the eagerness to learn. In the sign industry it really does help to learn by watching and doing hands on kinda things. Beings you wanna come in a back door and learn how to sell just about everything, it honestly doesn't make much sense to ask us how to sell your company's products. You should be learning from them. We can only help guide a little bit, but they are the ones who need to teach you........ not us.

People are here to learn, not train.

In answering your question or comment, I would venture to say your own people don't wanna teach you. They want you to already know...... HOW. That's why you are here.

Marlene

Well, then let's try this on for size. Are you new to sales or selling or buying things ?? What is your background ?? We already know it has nothing to do with signs at all.

MOST people are not born with anything up their sleeve except talent and the eagerness to learn. In the sign industry it really does help to learn by watching and doing hands on kinda things. Beings you wanna come in a back door and learn how to sell just about everything, it honestly doesn't make much sense to ask us how to sell your company's products. You should be learning from them. We can only help guide a little bit, but they are the ones who need to teach you........ not us.

People are here to learn, not train.

In answering your question or comment, I would venture to say your own people don't wanna teach you. They want you to already know...... HOW. That's why you are here.

I asked as when I sell a sign, I get asked questions and not knowing the answers is a fast way to lose a sale. why isn't your employer teaching you as it seems they would want a say in what you tell a customer. if you were selling a 6' x 10' internally illuminated sign, how would you answer why you should have a pan face vs flat faces? something as simple as that is to answer should be on the tip of your tongue. what makes it hard is you aren't just selling one type of sign so it makes it super hard to know everything without sign experience. just asking what your plan is as coming here is a good idea but believe it or not, there is very little actual sign talk going on around here to learn from

MikePro

go to conventions/sign expos. walk around town with another salesman and discuss signage in your area.
...and forward me all of your bids for review. :)

creativemikev

I asked as when I sell a sign, I get asked questions and not knowing the answers is a fast way to lose a sale. why isn't your employer teaching you as it seems they would want a say in what you tell a customer. if you were selling a 6' x 10' internally illuminated sign, how would you answer why you should have a pan face vs flat faces? something as simple as that is to answer should be on the tip of your tongue. what makes it hard is you aren't just selling one type of sign so it makes it super hard to know everything without sign experience. just asking what your plan is as coming here is a good idea but believe it or not, there is very little actual sign talk going on around here to learn from

My company does a great job training me so far, i just thought the extra bit of knowledge would be of help. I understand that i don't know much about it YET, but i have already learned alot. I don't plan on you guys training me haha was simply asking where on this site would you point me to first.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Invest in yourself if you're serious about learning... Join ISA and SGIA. Get your hands on trade magazines: Sign Builder, SignCraft, Signs of the Times, etc. Attend regional and national tradeshows (and pay your own way). http://www.signindustry.com/resources.php3

I was in a similar situation to you back in 2008 when the industry tanked. I moved from the sign business into the printing industry to do sales. It was an easier learning curve because I'd been in "graphics" for so long, but outside sales was brand new to me. Luckily I befriended a veteran sales guy at the company that was a wealth of knowledge and helped me slog through it. You're not going to know everything, but what I've learned is that clients were patient with me when I told them "honestly, I need to get more information before I can answer that question". You don't have to know everything... you just need to have resources available to get those answers. I still work on that premise today.

You may feel like you're getting a cold shoulder here on the site. There are some remarkable members here that have a wealth of knowledge. Every couple of weeks there's a new subscriber that post something similar to what you have asked. I would recommend that you take some time to go back through the Signs 101 forum archives, especially
Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc. , Business Management, and other forums that feature products that your company offers.

I wish you the best of luck!

creativemikev

Invest in yourself if you're serious about learning... Join ISA and SGIA. Get your hands on trade magazines: Sign Builder, SignCraft, Signs of the Times, etc. Attend regional and national tradeshows (and pay your own way). http://www.signindustry.com/resources.php3

I was in a similar situation to you back in 2008 when the industry tanked. I moved from the sign business into the printing industry to do sales. It was an easier learning curve because I'd been in "graphics" for so long, but outside sales was brand new to me. Luckily I befriended a veteran sales guy at the company that was a wealth of knowledge and helped me slog through it. You're not going to know everything, but what I've learned is that clients were patient with me when I told them "honestly, I need to get more information before I can answer that question". You don't have to know everything... you just need to have resources available to get those answers. I still work on that premise today.

You may feel like you're getting a cold shoulder here on the site. There are some remarkable members here that have a wealth of knowledge. Every couple of weeks there's a new subscriber that post something similar to what you have asked. I would recommend that you take some time to go back through the Signs 101 forum archives, especially
Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc. , Business Management, and other forums that feature products that your company offers.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank You Blue Moon, i appreciate all the help and i already just started reading some of those magazines and those helped a lot! I have been going through a few of those forums and they helped a ton as well. Thank you again.