• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Completely New to Signs

T_K

not sure how you plan to sell something you know nothing about or how you got the job but good luck

I had a walk-in from a new sales rep for one of my vendors. She's new to the industry, came from sales in a different one. But she was personable, she admitted the current limits of her knowledge, and she was emphasizing the "let me see how I can help you" tack. Seemed like she was confident in her ability to learn. Doesn't mean getting some help won't be a headache ever, but her demeanor said a lot about her.

I've had reps before that were ALL sales, just push-push-push to get you to buy from them, and that's a turn-off. I've had one rep talk to me like I was a 4-year-old, and I've never bought anything from that company again. Don't let your commission get in the way of helping your customers, and don't talk down to them - especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

From my experience, most sales reps don't really know the industry their selling, because they don't really experience the products/services themselves. Doesn't stop them from doing a good job, but it does limit them. If you're looking for the win-win scenarios with customers, then they'll respect you and work with you. But don't take that as an excuse to NOT learn everything you can.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
There's a lot of videos on Youtube, everything from explanation of substrates to application of vinyl, and everything in between. Spend a few days searching and watching those.