• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

COMPUTER CUT CHROME

Todd Jelle

Real Gold Brand "Mirror Chrome" IMO the best looking chrome film we have used.
It is thick, & they state a 12 year outdoor durability. Its $$ pricey though.
The only thing we don't like is if plotter cutting it tries to unroll (curve upwards) when starting to cut. This exposes the media sensor on our Summa. To prevent this we waste a few inches and weigh down the vinyl with some very heavy tape placed across the width of the media. Once the cutting starts its not an issue.

BetaCtz

I can tell you what not to use - Hexis Chrome wrap

I did an install for a client that was intended to be "high end" - various text, logos, etc. (not a wrap)
- opted to use a wrap chrome for high quality, rather than a regular 2mil/3mil wet install chrome. I assumed higher price meant better film on this one.

At 12 months the chrome was de-laminating from the glue layer. The install was fine, not peeling at edges.
My shop warrantied/replaced the film, but I had to re-do half of a high-end project just a year later.. Not cool.
After checking their spec. sheet, the chrome is actually only a 1yr lifespan I believe. For such pricey film, it really didn't last.

TRACY GRAY

I did an install for a client that was intended to be "high end" - various text, logos, etc. (not a wrap)
- opted to use a wrap chrome for high quality, rather than a regular 2mil/3mil wet install chrome. I assumed higher price meant better film on this one.

At 12 months the chrome was de-laminating from the glue layer. The install was fine, not peeling at edges.
My shop warrantied/replaced the film, but I had to re-do half of a high-end project just a year later.. Not cool.
After checking their spec. sheet, the chrome is actually only a 1yr lifespan I believe. For such pricey film, it really didn't last.
Thanks!
We have used the Avery Chrome wrap vinyl for cut lettering with good success for years.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I like Avery products. We'll give that a shot.

TRACY GRAY

Ouch! That has always been an issue with chrome. Even "outdoor durable" EFX. It shaves off over time and is a nightmare to tremove.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I actually wasn't aware anyone made a chrome with more than a 1 or 2 year lifespan. The Real Gold stuff makes sense, though- I recall that being quality stuff.

BetaCtz

Here's that Hexis Chrome - looked like this after about 12-14 months.
I reinstalled quite a bit of it and the re-installed pieces are now peeling again.

Shop I bought from said nobody else had issues with the film on that roll - go figure.

This chrome did have a clear cap (which was removed).
What you're seeing is the chrome layer de-laminating from the glue layer.

I wish I could blame the client on this one, high mileage use, likely dirty relatively often, but it should still be more reputable.

Would I use a chrome wrap in the future? Only if I was wrapping it.
Otherwise I'd go for the best 2mil chrome (non air egress) and wet install it).

Sorry for the thread-hijack - just feel this is pertinent for others to see as well :)

20240104_153855.jpg

Last edited:

Gary1

Real Gold Brand "Mirror Chrome" IMO the best looking chrome film we have used.
It is thick, & they state a 12 year outdoor durability. Its $$ pricey though.
The only thing we don't like is if plotter cutting it tries to unroll (curve upwards) when starting to cut. This exposes the media sensor on our Summa. To prevent this we waste a few inches and weigh down the vinyl with some very heavy tape placed across the width of the media. Once the cutting starts its not an issue.
Turn off the media sensor?