• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer for new Printer?

Steve C.

We have just purchased a VJ48 Printer and need a new production computer to run it
with Flexi cloud Pro as the rip and print program. Should we look for a W7 computer or is W8 going
to be ok? What would be the minimum ram required. The machine will only be used for
production. Must keep cost to a minimum.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Windows 7 or 8 will be fine but I would recommend 7 as it is easier to use. 4gb of RAM is the lowest I would go but get more if you can afford it. Intel i5 processor or better is going to make it easier to manage multiple large files at once. A solid state drive helps with speed but is not necessary if you can't afford it.

Basically, the faster you want the computer to RIP, the more money you need to put in. When purchasing a new computer, always check to make sure that you will be able to upgrade RAM and add storage in the future. That way if you try out 4gb and it doesn't work for you, you can add more later.

AF

I run both W7 and W8, and although I do not use Flexi Cloud I would offer the general advice to stick with W7 for business. The differences in target audience (W7 = business / home, W8 = home / gadget) can affect overall productivity with the machine and it is easier to find people familiar with W7 to hire as help.

This is my opinion. I use Win XP, Win 7, Win 8, Free BSD, Linux, Mac OS X currently so I have a bit of a perpsective of what is out there. Good luck with the new machine.

OldPaint

lot of good advice........BUT NONE seem to look at it this way..........
not matter how fast, how much ram, quick processor..................YOU ARE LIMITED TO THE SPEED OF THE PRINTERS OUTPUT)))))))
NOW......... when i 1st started messin with computers(90's)was told by an older computer code writer...................you computer is only as fast..............AS YOUR SLOWEST PERIPHERAL))))))))))))))))))))))))))) so in honesty...........once the design is made, file sent to rip.............no matter how fancy A COMPUTER ................its only gona be as fast as that printer will output))))
SO THAT SAID.... production machine.........
WIN 7 32 BIT(nothing in this business needs 64 bit)all it does is make older stuff NOT WORK))))
2-4 GIGS A RAM...........if you want more speed in that end..get a high dollar video card..... and an SSD main hard drive.....fast as you will ever need.
processor either i 5 or i prefer AMD's 2.8 OR BETTER QUAD CORE or 6 core....i run a 2.8 quad..........with 2 gigs a ram, SSD 240 gig hard drive............and it as fast i need.

Steve C.

Thanks all!. We are very excited about the new printer. Our old Falcon Out Door
has been on it's last leg for years, but it was a pretty good printer for a while. It was
never the same once they made the change over with the inks. It could be refurbished,
but replacing the black head on a yearly basis is a pain.

I really want to get a W7 machine, but hate it cause they cost more!

Thanks again!

h82loose

I would advise a 64bit system. I understand the old software issue. Flexi loves memory. If you are processing files of any size, you will want more.

MatthewTimothy

If you ONLY plan to use this for RIP and store the files on another computer and DESIGN on another computer you could be able to get away with an SSD below 100gb which go for less than one hundred dollars these days. If you're looking for bang for the buck look into building your own.

Dennis422

I have bought refurbished HP Envy 17" laptop with 8 gig of ram and i7 processor for about $600.
Run Flexi Cloud on it connected to the HP L25500 printer.
Runs flawless as it can be on a Windows platform :omg:

OldPaint

i have this one in my computer.......WIN 7 32 BIT.............and loaded OS, COREL DRAW X3, PHOTOPAINT, OPEN OFFICE and most all programs i use.........ON THE 240 GIG HARD DRIVE........... windows opens in seconds, as does COREL, PHOTOPAINT.........working in photopaint, any changes are done in a flash.
again...nothing in this business PERFORMS any better in a 64 bit setup...........other than MAKE OLDER PROGRAMS USELESS))))
http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...B-20-178-720&gclid=CMmkisOn88ECFQYLaQod6ZIAyg

WildWestDesigns

i have this one in my computer.......WIN 7 32 BIT.............and loaded OS, COREL DRAW X3, PHOTOPAINT, OPEN OFFICE and most all programs i use.........ON THE 240 GIG HARD DRIVE........... windows opens in seconds, as does COREL, PHOTOPAINT.........working in photopaint, any changes are done in a flash.
again...nothing in this business PERFORMS any better in a 64 bit setup...........other than MAKE OLDER PROGRAMS USELESS))))

Based on the programs that you listed, you probably wouldn't see a difference in a 32 bit program working in either a 32 bit or 64 bit environment as I do believe they are 32 bit programs. Run a program designed for 64 bit environment in a 32 bit environment, it might yield different results for you versus running it in a 64 bit environment. But it is going to depend on how much demand you are putting on the program with the various effects etc that you are using within that program. That can be mitigated a little bit by mainly running in outline mode versus a full render.

If you are concerned about the lose of certain legacy programs, get VM (or something along those lines) and run a legacy os through that. That's what I plan to do for my next build.

If the main program that you are using is optimized for a 64 bit environment and that is the only thing that you are concerned with running, then run it in a 64 bit environment. If that program is setup for a 32 bit environment, then I don't see much point of a 64 bit OS if that one program is the only thing that you are concerned about.

OldPaint

EXACTLY........... most CAD(SIGN PROGRAMS) unless they are the NEWEST RELEASE......... will be 32 BIT or 16 bit. 16 bit will run fine in a 32 bit environment, but will not run in 64 BIT!!!! i would venture to say that even some of the latest release SIGN PROGRAMS... are only 32 BIT. yes they will run in 64 bit..........but has no real performance increase.
working at a design station, with 32 bit............will give you more flexibility to be BACKWARD COMPATIBLE.
IF everything on your computer is the NEWEST RELEASE.......... then sure do the 64 bit.....
EXAMPLE.......... i have a perfectly good functioning CANON U656 scanner.......that i have to throw away, now that i moved from XP to WIN 7............ canon/window 7 has no drivers for it!!!!! so added expense............to go along with the upgrade. same thing with loading WIN 7 AS 64 BIT........ you will find less support for older products.
WHEN ALL SOFTWARE & PERIPHERAL MANUFACTURES move their products to 64 BIT architecture THEN........... YOU WILL NEED TO LOAD 64 BIT OS.

AF

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...B-20-178-720&gclid=CMmkisOn88ECFQYLaQod6ZIAyg

Since today's processors are native 64 bit with 32 bit emulation, it makes no sense to opt for 32 bit windows. Get 64 bit windows, load your 32 bit and 64 bit programs and let the machine figure it all out.

DravidDavid

Each to his own I guess, but I'm constantly told by Photoshop and Illustrator that I'm doing too much stuff on my old machine and I should find a 64 bit machine to do it on.

I couldn't live without my main computer's 16GB of RAM 480GB SSD and 64bit OS. 64bit operating systems making old programs not work is pretty much a thing of the past. Unless you are buying second rate applications, in which case you get second rate support.

I wouldn't ever recommend getting a 32bit OS to anyone because "some" things might not work.

Baz

Since i switched to using Illustrator and Photoshop 64bit i have no more "not enough memory" problems. I work on files well over 1 gig in size and working smoothly requires a 64bit operating system with allot of ram, fast hard drive (solid state) and a decent video card.

Printer speed has nothing to do with how fast your computer will perform. How fast you RIP your file going to the printer is definately affected by your computer's specs.

Dennis422

I think you need a new keyboard. It seems that the one you have has an issue with a Period key (.)
It gets stuck every time you type............... Damn, it must be contagious, mine started doing the.... same thing :smile:

OldPaint

Since i switched to using Illustrator and Photoshop 64bit i have no more "not enough memory" problems. I work on files well over 1 gig in size and working smoothly requires a 64bit operating system with allot of ram, fast hard drive (solid state) and a decent video card.

Printer speed has nothing to do with how fast your computer will perform. How fast you RIP your file going to the printer is definately affected by your computer's specs.

DID I SAY THAT??? no.............i said having a fast computer...........has no value when its OUT PUT.........is a SLOW PRINTER....hence.....
your computer is only as fast as your SLOWEST PRINTER))))))))

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
DID I SAY THAT??? no.............i said having a fast computer...........has no value when its OUT PUT.........is a SLOW PRINTER....hence.....
your computer is only as fast as your SLOWEST PRINTER))))))))

Old Paint,
I think you are missing a big part of the picture but I gave your post a "like" anyway because I'm a thumbs up - positive kind of guy...............................)))))))))

wayne k
guam usa

mrugen

Min Computer for Flexi

From the makers of Flexi

Please note minimum system requirements for Flexi Cloud:
Windows Vista, 7, and 8; 32-bit and 64-bit compatible.
Windows XP is not supported and may or may not be fully compatible.

4GB RAM / 250GB Hard Drive / 1024 x 768 Screen Resolution
4 Gb hard drive space availability

I would make this 8 GB RAM and lager hard drive, use WIN 7 as noted.

Of course, I think OldPaint would recommend you learn to use a brush and paint first! LOL!