• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer gurus - attack!

kffernandez

Ahhhh. The pleasures of owning a Mac. Pay no attention to the previous post. Viruses do not exist, in any comparable measure, for the Mac.

the funny thing is... if i was an identity or credit card thief. i personally would attack the 5% totally unprotected Mac's like this fella, rather than the 80% or so windows users who have pretty much learned how to deal with viruses on a day to day basis. Windows pc's are great for organizing DDOS attack blackmail's. but when it comes to plain theft.... i'd go try and chaseMac's and Linux machines.

just my 2c

kelly

smdgrfx

Most nasties are designed to get Windows based computers - they're the vast majority of machines out there. It's as simple as an ROI calculation - why design software to target (at best) one or two percent of your "audience" when you can get darn near a hundred percent by goin' for Windows? The protection offered by the Mac system is, basically, that you're a minor fraction of the internet traffic out there, so the nasties aren't aimed at you.
(post)!

This is not the only reason. One of the reasons Mac OS and Linux OS do not get virus' is because their operating systems are based on open source coding. Windows is not.

"Viruses target software. They corrupt files, hide in seemingly harmless places, and use the existing communication systems of computers to copy and spread themselves."

The virus can hide easily in Windows because of the source code being hard to view/edit by the everyday person. That's why we have to use multiple anti-virus to get everything gone and then still have doubts. Virus' cannot hide in an open source code system. You can just see it and delete it. Not going to last very long in Mac OS, so why bother.

FrankenSigns.biz

What I find so funny is all I did was state a FACT, and you find cause to personally attack me. It's ridiculous and HILARIOUS!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Get a FRICKIN' LIFE!!!

CES020

Franken, what's funny to me is that there are how many virus' on a PC now? Millions? One professional hacker hacks a mac at a security conference in a "hacking contest" and it's all the PC lovers need. You see this posted on every debate on the internet :

"Mac's are easy to hack and are more vulnerable than a PC".

In the real world, yes, Mac's can get a virus, but also in the real world, in general, they do not. I really don't care about the reason, I'm not writing tech blogs for a living, I'm using my computer to make money. If it's because they are 95% of the market or because of a flaw, I really couldn't care less, the situation is real that PC's are more likely to get infected.

Do a search on this forum for virus. See how many people ask for help with a virus on a PC, then count the number that ask for help removing a virus from a Mac. That's real world. I live the in the real world (most of the time).

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The funny part are those using phrases like "PC lovers" "Mac haters" - seems to point to an overly emotional attachment to a piece of equipment used to get something pretty basic done.

wayne k
guam usa

2B

The funny part are those using phrases like "PC lovers" "Mac haters" - seems to point to an overly emotional attachment to a piece of equipment used to get something pretty basic done.

wayne k
guam usa

+1

additional point adding to this, is why have a biased attitude and emotional attachment be given to something materialistic that will be outdated and replaced within a couple years

letterman7

Wow... I never thought my little post would spark such a debate. I have only one computer for my office and that's basically down to space versus necessity. While I did catch that bug, it was lurking on a trusted website that I visit often - even the webmaster didn't know about it until it was reported by more than just me. In any case, my machine has multiple backups on site for all my files, so little setbacks like that are just an annoyance more than anything. I won't get into the Mac versus PC debate, as my brother constantly rags on me not having a Mac and wouldn't have to worry about stuff like that! I think it comes down to what you were brought up using. I saw the first generation Apples come to market; by the time I was entrenched in the sign business, PC's were the only ones that were able to use the programs to run the plotters, so that's what I know and stick with.

signage

21 years running a PC (dos through windows) and no viruses? I think it has more to do with operators than the operating system! Whenyou look at who owns MAC's they are more of the techno type while Windows is more the masses!