• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer Problem I Can't Solve.

cptcorn

adad
I've searched quite extensively and cannot come up with a solution.

Every time I restart I lose all of my user associated application settings. Some programs that don't have user associated profiles such as wasatch will retain settings. All Adobe products loose their settings and when I open them up it's the first time.

Windows XP

I know enough about computers to post here as a shot in the dark, first problem I've run into where I really need help. Normally I would reformat and call it a day, but I don't have the time to do so.

GK

Try creating a new user profile from scratch, do not import anything from the old profile. Under the new one, set the attributes that won't stay on the old profile and restart the machine. If your new profile retained those settings, you might have some profile corruption in the old one. This obviously isn't the solution to the problem, but can help in determining the cause. If it is the case, use the new profile and just migrate your files over, since the old one isn't retaining any user preferences with some programs it shouldn't be a big deal.

Is it just limited to the Adobe products? or anything that has user specific settings?

cptcorn

adad
http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53284

I had same problem with Ps awhile back, and the solution in this thread cured my ailments. Hopefully this will help you out
This is not limited to Adobe products.
Try creating a new user profile from scratch, do not import anything from the old profile. Under the new one, set the attributes that won't stay on the old profile and restart the machine. If your new profile retained those settings, you might have some profile corruption in the old one. This obviously isn't the solution to the problem, but can help in determining the cause. If it is the case, use the new profile and just migrate your files over, since the old one isn't retaining any user preferences with some programs it shouldn't be a big deal.

Is it just limited to the Adobe products? or anything that has user specific settings?
I have tried this before, and it does the same thing under the new user that I set up...

Replicator

delete all the CACHE files on your system and reboot, the system will rebuild new cache files and it should be fixed . . . Hopefully !

cptcorn

adad
I've deleted every form of personal settings files I could find, along with all users, and rebuilt users, and nothing... something in the registry is causing this I believe.

SignBurst PCs

Do you lose your desktop files and icons? I mean, do they reset too?

How about your desktop image? Is it a custom image? If so, does it reset?

SignBurst PCs

Sounds like a registry issue to me. You are having profile issues (not printer profiles, but user profiles). Do you get any warning about having to resort to a temporary profile while logging in? It might be possible that you are it is assigning you the "all users" profile as well.

It actually sounds a lot like a "mandatory profile", but I have only used these in a client/server environment.

I Googled (no quotes) " XP profile resets " and found a bunch of possible leads.

cptcorn

adad
If i was in your shoes, I would reformat
This is what I'll end up doing when I have a few spare hours... Until then every couple of minutes I have to spare I look into a solution.
Sounds like a registry issue to me. You are having profile issues (not printer profiles, but user profiles). Do you get any warning about having to resort to a temporary profile while logging in? It might be possible that you are it is assigning you the "all users" profile as well.

It actually sounds a lot like a "mandatory profile", but I have only used these in a client/server environment.

I Googled (no quotes) " XP profile resets " and found a bunch of possible leads.
Surprisingly this is the first issue I have not been able to solve. It's not flashing anything using a temp profile or anything of that sort.

cptcorn

adad
Also, forgot to mention,

When I create a new user, it removes the old one as an option, files remain though... hahaa

choucove

Delete this folder "Windows XP", and all will be well. }: )

For the Mac guys: Next time you're on your computer sometime how about typing in the line "sudo rm -rf /" into the terminal?* }:D

* WARNING! THIS IS ONLY A JOKE!!! DO NOT ENTER THE ABOVE COMMAND INTO YOUR UNIX-BASED OS! DOING SO WILL DESTROY YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM!

cptcorn

adad
Delete this folder "Windows XP", and all will be well. }: )
That folder doesn't exist
For the Mac guys: Next time you're on your computer sometime how about typing in the line "sudo rm -rf /" into the terminal?* }:D

* WARNING! THIS IS ONLY A JOKE!!! DO NOT ENTER THE ABOVE COMMAND INTO YOUR UNIX-BASED OS! DOING SO WILL DESTROY YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM!

I'm not sure you can pull off that command as sudo root, you might have to login as root to gain access to pull that command off on that directory... Atleast thats how it was many years ago during my linux infatuation.