• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computers

signcrafters

Current Systems:
P4 3GHz, 1 gig, work files are on network which rocks.
2 design systems and 1 rip/print/cut server.
All run Flexi 8.1. Design systems run a few other packages (inkscape, gimp, etc).

Problem:
We are starting to get bigger and bigger files. Customers laugh when I ask for Illustrator v. 8 or less. ("That is almost 10 years old!")... Systems just choke.

So, it's time to upgrade systems.
What do you recommend?
Dell and HP are falling apart, IBM is moving to server only, who's left?
Is MS going to die with Windows 8?
Is it time to start over and go Mac?

Please, all input it welcome.

Thanks!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I'm not brand loyal, but we have alot of HP's here because they seem to be the best bang for the buck anytime we're buying computers. We're not really graphically intense here, if we were, we'd probably have Macs.

I thought there was a MM that offered high end machines for sign shops... someone will chime in.

WildWestDesigns

We're not really graphically intense here, if we were, we'd probably have Macs.

Never did like that statement. At one time that might have been true, but not really anymore.

The playing field is pretty even with graphics nowadays.

I thought there was a MM that offered high end machines for sign shops... someone will chime in.

SignBurst PCs is the one that you are thinking of. Highly recommend going with Casey.

J

john1

I went to my local compusa and had them build me a monster machine. You walk in, say i want to build a custom pc and they literally walk you down each isle with a shopping cart and you just load each part into it. They only charge i think $179 to build it too.

In my machine i think including a 23" LED monitor i had around $1700 into it. I won't have to upgrade for a while and if i do it will just be a few parts as the computer is super fast. It's expandable up to 32GB of RAM so i think i'm good for a lifetime.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Do you have a "custom computer" store around you? (not a Best Buy, but a local geek store)

We have a customer who builds custom computers & he built my new PC, it's super fast & runs everything at once. Only problem I have with it is that my 32 bit Adobe programs are not as happy with the new windows as 64 bit programs would be.

Also, get dual monitors if you do not have this already. I have two new AOC 23"LEDs.

J

john1

CompUSA is the same as Tiger Direct and it's very convenient when i can walk in and pick up anything i need computer wise.

Mosh

I got 3 words for you "THE WAL MART" You can get a system there three times as fast as you have now for $500-$700!!!!

SignBurst PCs

Thanks Evan! I would be more than happy to help a fellow 101'er. We build systems specifically for large graphic design files. We design, test, and build for large files in Adobe, Corel, Flexi, etc. We are familiar with graphic shops needs and can help you figure out exactly what you need as that is all we do!

Please feel free to contact me anytime if you ever have any questions that I may be able to help out with.

Si Allen

Mosh ... you can stick to your WalMart computers!

Personally ... I always have mine custom built!

Here in So. California, there are dozens of computer shops that will happily build you a custom computer for a little bit less that you can build it yourself! ( They buy the parts wholesale vs. me buying parts retail)

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
I got 3 words for you "THE WAL MART" You can get a system there three times as fast as you have now for $500-$700!!!!

Not sure if walmart has their computers specifically built for them. I know walmart has their big screen TV's built for them hence why their pricing is a lot lower than other stores because these TVs have the bare minimum. I would get a custom built one or if you want to be tech savvy goto newegg.com and build it out from scratch.

Scott Reynolds

Newegg.com

Been building my own for 13yrs. You might not save a lot of money, but you get to hand pick every part. The reviews on each parts help alot too.

signswi

For personal use I build my own but for business I have a relationship with a guy at Dell who can cut really good deals on their Optiplex line, which is quality. For laptops I like lenovo though they aren't quite as good as they were 5 years ago (but same goes for every laptop manufacturer...).

Ditchmiester

I just got a new Samsung Laptop for work its a Series 7 with the 17.3" inch screen I absolutely love it. I wish they made desktops.

WildWestDesigns

For laptops I like lenovo though they aren't quite as good as they were 5 years ago (but same goes for every laptop manufacturer...).

My mom just got a new ThinkPad to run Corel, Ps and Painter and it seems like the quality is still good. When my Toshiba starts to get sluggish, I'll probably get one of Lenovo's ThinkPads.

OldPaint

i havent bought a NAME BRAND computer for myself EVER!!!!! i had my 386DX40 built and since then i have built all of mine. right now i got a 2 yr old AMD quad core 2.8 DDR3 2 GIG RAM, BIOSTAR m/b that if i want to upgrade, i can slap in the AMD 8 core processor. i still run XP, and i cant for the life of me figure out WHY........anyone needs a 64 bit WIN 7 in the sign world. gaming, yea, games are being built for 64 bit. unless your up to the latest version of graphics programs, then 64 bit is useless.
i will say i own a SONY VIAO laptop, and i bought the wife a EMACHINE from OFFICE DEPOT for $250(4-5 yrs ago) less monitor..........i added another gig of ddr2 ram and a video card because the onboard video wouldnt let me have optimum video res on the 24" 1080p tv/monitor. it had VISTA, and i put WIN 7 32 BIT on it. i have never had a problem with this computer!!!!! i love EMACHINES)))))

WildWestDesigns

. gaming, yea, games are being built for 64 bit. unless your up to the latest version of graphics programs, then 64 bit is useless.

You would actually be surprised with how "light" video games are. The new Diablo that came out, I have one program that demands more resources then that game.

J

john1

Nothing like a tailored custom PC, just like custom company t-shirts which i got in yesterday....Ahhhh nothing like it :)