• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computers

OldPaint

windows 7..........LOST ALL THE FOLDERS in XP outlook express when i loaded it. CANT GET EM BACK. nice work WIN 7. picture viewer is not loaded as a integral function, you got go find it and reload it. i have 32 bit version, SO ALL MY OLD 32 PROGRAMS WORK. ive tried to load a few programs that work well in XP, BUT WILL NOT LOAD INTO WIN 7 64!!!!
so to me WIN 7 64 bit............ its useless.

visual800

This exact scanario is another reason why it is often better to buy a machine pre-made from Casey or even a professional workstation from Dell or HP.

The one I bought did not have bloatware on it at all it is an upper level machine. The COM surrogate could be due to adobe, intel or anything on this machine I need. Its aggravating but liveable. BUT this issue did not occur in XP.

WildWestDesigns

The one I bought did not have bloatware on it at all it is an upper level machine. The COM surrogate could be due to adobe, intel or anything on this machine I need. Its aggravating but liveable. BUT this issue did not occur in XP.

Back in Vista, I know com surrogate issues were due to codecs that weren't compatible. I would start with that. Although, it could be from almost any software that installs com components that aren't compatible with your OS. I would look at anything that didn't have Win 7 in it's OS listing on the box as a possible suspect.

Some of that would explain OldPaint issues as well. Trying to use older software. Eventually it comes to a point that you have to upgrade your software in order to use the latest and greatest. 32 bit works, because his programs were more then likely designed for 32 bit (I would imagine exclusively).

One of the drawbacks of using older software. I, however, would not blame that on Win 7.

SignBurst PCs

COM surrogate is a generic error. But we can look at symptoms to help narrow it down. Since it pops up in image previews, it is probably a video driver issue and can most likely be fixed by either updating the video driver or rolling back the video driver. If neither of these work, then you may have to wait for a new (updated) driver to be released. This is not a Operating System issue (Win7). Dell may be able to give you specific directions.

FYI, Dell's XPS line is not a high end line. It is their basic multimedia and gamer line of computers. Dell's "Precision" line is their higher end line of computers and, generally speaking, better quality. Dell does have a higher end gaming line (Alienware) and they can be OK. When Alienware was truly Alienware, I was much more impressed with the hardware, but after Dell bought them, it hasn't been the same. They seem to have fallen into the generic, cheap hardware that large manufacturers are notorious for using.

Chimuka

My biggest gripe with windows 7 is that if you have been a long time user of Flexi, Linked files are a problem to open. Maybe there is a fix for this but the path Documents and then My Documents breaks the linked files. I was one who might have 20 or more bitmap files linked because old Flexi did not compress files.

visual800

FYI, Dell's XPS line is not a high end line. It is their basic multimedia and gamer line of computers. Dell's "Precision" line is their higher end line of computers and, generally speaking, better quality.

Yes sir I knew that. As I indicated an upper lever machine, as in upper from the off the shelf at walmart dell. I dont feel I need a precision machine for what I do nor would I spend the money on that. If others feel as though they need that much power than so be it.

i do have to wonder why alienware would sell out to dell though. were they making money? were the machines in demand?

WildWestDesigns

Yes sir I knew that. As I indicated an upper lever machine, as in upper from the off the shelf at walmart dell.

That would have been very hard to get from this:

The one I bought did not have bloatware on it at all it is an upper level machine.

Like SignBurst, I thought you were talking about it as if it was a high end Dell. Now, I don't know the hierarchy of Dell models all that well, so I wouldn't have known, but I surely didn't get the impression it was a Walmart computer based on that statement.

SignBurst PCs

Yes sir I knew that. As I indicated an upper lever machine, as in upper from the off the shelf at walmart dell. I dont feel I need a precision machine for what I do nor would I spend the money on that. If others feel as though they need that much power than so be it.

i do have to wonder why alienware would sell out to dell though. were they making money? were the machines in demand?

Gotcha. I wasn't trying to be a smart@$$, just making an statement. It is hard to tell the difference over the Internet sometimes.

As far as Alienware is concerned... lots and lots of $$$$$$$$.

ForgeInc

"...windows xp stability...." blah, blah "...windows 7 long way round click three times..." blah, blah "..bloatware / wal mart machines..." blah, blah - GET A MAC!

WildWestDesigns

"...windows xp stability...." blah, blah "...windows 7 long way round click three times..." blah, blah "..bloatware / wal mart machines..." blah, blah - GET A MAC!

Mom had a Mac, dad had a Mac, I had a Mac and Alicia (ball and chain) had a Mac. Only one stayed with Mac (and it was the only one that doesn't use design programs), plus I would still have to run Windows anyway with the software I used, so really what is the point if you have to still have windows?

Chimuka

One thing that was important to me is a "Kool Case". Most "Workstation" cases are boring, yet gaming computers may not be the best graphic units. I ended up with NZXT Phantom case with workstation guts. Customers sure comment on my BIG CASE! They really think they are getting thier money's worth. Especially with the Ibuypower logo on it.:ROFLMAO:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Sadly Silicon Graphics got out of the pro workstation arena. They always had the coolest looking machines. I know many have gutted them and cobbled newer PC guts into their cases but it's a lot of work to pull off. For just a short while they did have an Intel based tower that ran Windows but most of their machines, like Sun's as well used Mips processors which were not x86 (therefore not Windows) compatable. They all ran variants of Unix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=silicon+graphics+workstation

One thing that was important to me is a "Kool Case". Most "Workstation" cases are boring, yet gaming computers may not be the best graphic units. I ended up with NZXT Phantom case with workstation guts. Customers sure comment on my BIG CASE! They really think they are getting thier money's worth. Especially with the Ibuypower logo on it.:ROFLMAO: