• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Conductive foil?

fxer

Is there such a thing? I can think of some very fun uses for this (since I'm an electronics type of person).

Thanks

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Contemplating doing our own printed circuits are we? Might have some interesting applications. Now, if you could get printable LEDs to complement the conductive foil as well as a media to which you could solder... the mind boggles.

fxer

I'm thinking a flex circuit as part of a biz card with some LED's on it etc. Perhaps integrate a card-edge connector into this that can plug into a USB port? I'll prob need to laminate with something else for rigidity, but this would open up possibilities that I'd otherwise find significantly cost-prohibitive from commercial sources.

Other than that, I can make a few board-to-board connectors and membrane switches, that would also be cost-prohibitive from commercial sources when I only need one or two pieces.

fxer

Contemplating doing our own printed circuits are we? Might have some interesting applications. Now, if you could get printable LEDs to complement the conductive foil as well as a media to which you could solder... the mind boggles.

Printable LED's? Hmmm... if we can make foils of gallium, etc. What about printable semiconductors?

Marlene

there was talk about this a few years back and I'm not sure if the product was ever made or what. anyone else remember hearing about this?

Browner

Back in March one of Gerber's employees said on another board:
"First before you all get to excited it looks like we may be ending the “conductive” program. First the cost of the Conductive Silver is $15 a linear foot and then there is the cost of the polyester firm to print on. We have been beta testing this at a number of non sign shop sites and it looks good but not good enough (something Krusty the Clown would say). The conductivity is not good enough with one hit of the foil and two hits while the conductivity is great the cost doubles. So from what I hear we are most likely going to end it."

ZeroNine has (had?) something like this. They called it, "Conductive Ribbon" :
This foil can be used for membrane switches, prototyping circuits, connecting flexible LED bulbs in a patterned array, producing flat wires or on our Digitel Substrate. Our Conductive foil has a target resistivity of 0.6 ohm/square and a maximum resistivity of 0.8 ohm/square.

signage

From what I have heard they both are having issues with the resistance being to high and causing problem when the length get longer. Chris I haven't seen either being offered, what about you?

fxer

Resistance is approx 5 ohms, but I could not other specs than that yet. Mike at Zeronine (who handles this stuff), was out the door on vacation, so will email me. But for switches, 5ohms per foot/inch or even mm is still low enough. If the length I need works out to even a few thousand ohms, I can work with that. For LED's however, that would be a problem. $28 per 3 yds.

That Digitel electroluminescent stuff is fascinating, but expensive -- ~$230 per 3 feet, but that includes the conductive layer that it needs.