• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Connection to cutting master 2 timeout

phototec

I have a Graphtec FC7000-75 and trying to cut directly from Illy using cutting master2, however as soon as I send the job to the printer, I get the following error:

"Connection to cutting master 2 timeout"

Anyone ever run into this before? Have any ideas for me on how to correct this issue?

I'm using a USB cable that is about 10-12' long because I have the FC7000-75 located that far from the computer. Could that be the issue?

Thanks for any and all help, I can't cut anything!

tcorn1965

I have a Graphtec FC7000-75 and trying to cut directly from Illy using cutting master2, however as soon as I send the job to the printer, I get the following error:

Anyone ever run into this before? Have any ideas for me on how to correct this issue?

I'm using a USB cable that is about 10-12' long because I have the FC7000-75 located that far from the computer. Could that be the issue?

Thanks for any and all help, I can't cut anything!

I do not think the usb cord length is the issue. I believe you can go up to 16 feet. What you could do is use a powered usb hub in between the two
devices. Maybe if all else fails uninstall cutting master and reinstall.

Terry

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Try clearing Presences in Cutting Master, go to Start, All Programs, Cutting Master and open Preference Manager. Click on the Factory Default option and click Load. You will have to install the cutter back into Cutting Master but it will probably clear out the error.

phototec

Answer from Graphtec

I received and answer to this question from Graphtec, and wanted to share with folks here as this issue has come up before, when I did a Signs 101 search, I found others have had this problem before.

Anyway, here is want Graphtec said in a reply email today:

If you believe you have a full version of Illustrator, then the problem is caused by your software firewall blocking Illustrator from accessing Cutting Master 2. if you have a 3rd party firewall installed, be sure to configure both windows build-in and the 3rd firewall to ALLOW access for both Illustrator and Cutting Master 2.

I do have the full complete Adobe Creative Suite 3 (Illustrator) on the production computer connected to the cutter, as well as the complete Adobe Creative Suite 4 on my design work station. I do have Norton Internet Security on the production computer, now all I have to is figure out how to configure both windows build-in and the 3rd firewall to ALLOW access for both Illustrator and Cutting Master 2.

I guess by build-in, they are talking about in Windows XP (which in the OS I'm using).

I'm not familiar with this, anyone have any suggestions as to how I can configure both windows build-in and the 3rd firewall to ALLOW access for both Illustrator and Cutting Master 2?

Thanks for any help on this, I'm stuck, don't no anything about FIREWALLS.
:doh:

phototec

Man, I still stuck with this error "Connection to cutting master 2 timeout", every time I select cut/plot from the cutting master2 plug-in in Illy.

I tried all the fixes mentioned in the previous email, I configured both windows build-in and the 3rd party firewall (Norton) to ALLOW access for both Illustrator and Cutting Master 2, that didn't help. I even uninstalled Norton, that didn't help still getting the error "Connection to cutting master 2 timeout".

I emailed Graphtec again, here is there latest reply, which is dumb:

What I am about to suggest works 100% the time as long as you have a full version of Illustrator, other wise you will be spending more time and still going no where.

When windows registry is messed from numerous installs and uninstalls, generally there are lots orphan registry entries which will prevent things install/working properly, this is hard to show you any actual proof in registry itself, but the obvious symptoms would be applications not install/working correctly like what’s in your case. The best thing to do at this point is to backup all your data, format your hard drive and reinstall windows, then all your software including Illustrator and Cutting Master 2.

I usually don’t recommend to go this route, but there are only so much we can do and at this point, there is not a whole lot more besides this, you may agree with me later on that this takes less time over all to correct your problem than it is other wise.

Thank you,

Charlie (Graphtec)

Does anyone on Signs 101 have a good fix or has come across this issue before, any suggestions?

I don't think I'm going to rebuild my computer just because a Illy plug-in is not working!

Thanks

tcorn1965

Man, I still stuck with this error "Connection to cutting master 2 timeout", every time I select cut/plot from the cutting master2 plug-in in Illy.

I tried all the fixes mentioned in the previous email, I configured both windows build-in and the 3rd party firewall (Norton) to ALLOW access for both Illustrator and Cutting Master 2, that didn't help. I even uninstalled Norton, that didn't help still getting the error "Connection to cutting master 2 timeout".

I emailed Graphtec again, here is there latest reply, which is dumb:

What I am about to suggest works 100% the time as long as you have a full version of Illustrator, other wise you will be spending more time and still going no where.

When windows registry is messed from numerous installs and uninstalls, generally there are lots orphan registry entries which will prevent things install/working properly, this is hard to show you any actual proof in registry itself, but the obvious symptoms would be applications not install/working correctly like what’s in your case. The best thing to do at this point is to backup all your data, format your hard drive and reinstall windows, then all your software including Illustrator and Cutting Master 2.

I usually don’t recommend to go this route, but there are only so much we can do and at this point, there is not a whole lot more besides this, you may agree with me later on that this takes less time over all to correct your problem than it is other wise.

Thank you,

Charlie (Graphtec)

Does anyone on Signs 101 have a good fix or has come across this issue before, any suggestions?

I don't think I'm going to rebuild my computer just because a Illy plug-in is not working!

Thanks

OK, I doubt you need to go to all of that to fix this issue.

1st I would back up all your preference illy files and anything you want to save from cutting master
2nd uninstall both programs
3rd Download and run the this free registry cleaner. I use it all the time
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm
I would scan for errors and fix, do this twice
4th Reinstall lilly, then Cutting master

I suspect this will fix your issue.
PM me if you need me to help you through this

Terry

htc

Sorry to bring this back up, but did you ever get your situation resolved phototec? I ask because Im in the same boat.
Its a little different, but not that much.

I do primarily small, intricate masking designs and have been using Quick Cut actually (w/illustrator for the last 6 years..on graphtec ce2000, winXPpro), but recently had a problem arise, then this same error when I installed Cutting Master2 v1.7.
I believe this all started when I used a free optimization software called Advanced System Care from IObit. Unfortunately I didnt catch the issue right off the bat, and when I finally did, upon system restore, my over stressed HD required immediate disk clean and apparently the system restore history was then auto-erased (unknown to me at the time) due to lack of disk space. So because I didnt realize at first that ASC was the culprit, I had reinstalled and used it for further "house cleaning", but eventually found I could not cut again..and worse, now I cant use the system restore to get back to the point where it was working. Needless to say, I feel like an idiot, but circumstances can be tough.
Anyway...
Ive tried the recommended reg-doc software, (thanks..found stuff ASC didnt!) after uninstall of both illustrator and cutting master2, but after reinstall..I still have the same issue when trying to cut from illy. I can send to "print"...but incomplete cut on a simple circle, so I dont trust that and the test cut works from within CM2, just not from illy whether CM2 (or quick cut for that matter, tried both) is already running or not. Ive got and tried both serial and usb hook up to the machines btw...no difference. Cutter works, but the communication problem within illustrator remains unchanged.
:banghead:
So I guess what Im asking is..do I have any other choice but to reformat/reinstall XP? Otherwise...what necessary system file could the ASC program have removed/changed which would not be replaced upon software reinstalls? Ive reinstalled my cutter drivers, tried two cut plugin titles, reinstalled illy and still have the problem.
Any ideas or help..or even just saying reformat...just dont want to go there unless totally necessary.
Thanks!!

phototec

Sorry to bring this back up, but did you ever get your situation resolved phototec? I ask because Im in the same boat.
Its a little different, but not that much.

First off, NO I never did get the issue resolved, I did NOT want to completely re-install Windows XP, so I just went on to other things, I still need to address the issue, because I have been using Illy since '88 and not really familiar with Flexi, although I just got the new version 10. I would prefer to cut vinyl directly from illy.

WOW, it's so funny you mentioned, "it all started when I used a free optimization software called Advanced System Care from IObit", I never thought about it before, but I to had just downloaded the same Advanced System Care about the time I developed the problem not being able to cut from illy.

I had been cutting directly from illy for four years before the "time out" problem occurred, I'm a little fuzzy about all that happened back then to cause the issue, however I was never able to get the new Cutting Master 2 to work. I use three different computers, a quad processor 64 bit system with dual monitors for design work, a Dell Dimension for internet ONLY, and my older Dell 2400 acting as a print server, it has the older illy 10 and the first cutting master software on it and I can cut on either the Graphtec 3000 or 7000 from this computer.

The new Cutting Master 2 does so much more than the old version, so to use it, one thing I may try is loading the Cutting Master 2 on the design workstation running illy CS5, and see if it will work. I would rather not have the design workstation feeding printers or plotters.

TCORN1965 has some good advice, but I have not tried his suggestion yet!

htc

WOW, it's so funny you mentioned, "it all started when I used a free optimization software called Advanced System Care from IObit", I never thought about it before, but I to had just downloaded the same Advanced System Care about the time I developed the problem not being able to cut from illy.

Sorry to hear that you never got it worked out phototec...was hoping to hear of a cure!
Yeah, I was shocked myself, but during my google searches for this issue, on another forum, I read a post where someone else had been similarly affected, and they mentioned the same exact program too. They were lucky enough to have recognized it as the cause immediately and restore system back to pre ASC install, thus getting back to normal. As I read the post, I thought this cant be a coincidence that it mentions the same exact software and problem.
I just cant figure out what system file or setting ASC could have screwed up to cause all this? It very well may take a full OS reinstall to rectify the problem unless that mystery can be solved.

TCORN1965 has some good advice, but I have not tried his suggestion yet!

Good advice..I agree and I appreciate that link for the reg-doc program too...but alas...I followed his suggestion to the letter, twice...and regardless of using Quick Cut or CM2...problem persists.

GP

Wild - this just started happening here about three days ago. Never had the issue before.

That morning, I went through and removed a bunch of arbitrary programs through Control Panel. Nothing related to the cutter. Although, now that I think about it, I did remove Lxi Pro, since I never once used it. Wonder if there was something there...

And I should mention, this does not happen every time. Sometimes opens Cutting Master fine. Sometimes it takes six retries. Sometimes, I can go to Start Menu and get it to open. Totally random and totally frustrating.

htc

Wild - this just started happening here about three days ago. Never had the issue before.

That morning, I went through and removed a bunch of arbitrary programs through Control Panel. Nothing related to the cutter. Although, now that I think about it, I did remove Lxi Pro, since I never once used it. Wonder if there was something there...

And I should mention, this does not happen every time. Sometimes opens Cutting Master fine. Sometimes it takes six retries. Sometimes, I can go to Start Menu and get it to open. Totally random and totally frustrating.

Hmmm...this doesnt sound like quite the same level of disruption. And with my condition, there is nothing intermittent about it..never connects. Your situation may benefit from the un/re install method described above by tcorn1965. It seems likely that when removing the LXI program, some shared file was removed with it that pertained to your cutter or its primary use software...so you may elect to use the system restore function if a point is available preceding the problem. But again, the intermittent condition is definitely opposite from my own experience and I suspect that would be the same with phototec..but cant say for sure.

I have sent a contact letter to IObit, explaining the problem and asking if there is something common in the program that would pertain to this situation. Ive not gotten a reply as of yet..but will lyk if I do.

Travis Stanley

I Use to run Illy on my gaphtec, After a major computer crash I lost all software and had to start over I purchased Corel and had to download cm2 for corel. In Illy I could run cm2 directly from Illy but with corel I have to open them independently from each other. While reading your problem I was courious to know if you could open cm2 go to file,add job and send the file from Illy. Just a thought. Good luck

TresL

from a DOS window type: net stop sharedaccess
This will turn off the windows firewall.

Also, try and launch Cutmaster before running the program from ILL.

htc

@Travis Stanley..
Im not sure if there is a work around with that method, but, when you open either CM2 or Quick Cut programs manually, outside of illy or corel...selecting "file> add job" brings up an open dialog of which only .job or .plt format files are compatible. If you try to open an "ai" file for example...it just goes blank and nothing ever shows up in the queue. So I would have to say that unless you already have your cut files formatted to the before mentioned specific formats..it would not work that way either.

Travis Stanley

When I run Corel I'm unable to open Cm2 from the cut-plot icon. I have corel with my page on screen saved as cdr. I open Cm2 and open the file from Cm2 then I can use the cut-plot icon on corel. As where in Illy I could send the file directly from there. I was just courious to see if that option would run.

htc

from a DOS window type: net stop sharedaccess
This will turn off the windows firewall.

I already have all three programs listed in the exceptions of my firewall (illy, CM2 and QC) and no change.

Also, try and launch Cutmaster before running the program from ILL.
Tried that several times too..no change.

htc

@TresL...
Should I attempt the DOS command line you describe..how would I restore the firewall? Would it have to be done via DOS or would the normal "control panel" access work?
Just like to know before I attempt..I hate DOS.

@Travis Stanley...
OK..I think I understand what you mean there. I cant speak for corel, (not installed on my machine) but for the sake of testing, I had CM2 and Illy open separately, with one ai file also open. I went to the CM2 interface, clicked open..selected "All files" from the of type dropdown..navigated to and selected the same ai file which was running in Illy. There was a brief lag, which got my hopes up..however, it ultimately gave the same communication error as described since first post...no cutting dialog displayed.

Thanks for the clarification!

TresL

to restart the firewall, you can reboot or type: net start sharedaccess
you can do the same through the controal panel>admin>services

htc

Well, I wanted to try disable firewall via DOS just incase my earlier efforts via the control panel didnt take effect or maybe something was different..but..just like earlier..still same old error message persists.
Thanks for the DOS method instructions TresL :)

round man

Windows assigns a com port to alot of usb connections others it assigns an lpt port. all ports have timeout settings in windows and they can be adjusted accordingly from device manager and the properties for the port in question. If a firewall is blocking port access it will timeout for the communications protocol for that port any time a program tries to access the port. I would try to add an exception to the outgoing firewall rules for cutting master pro and corel or illustrator to see if this will solve the problem,......