• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Connection to cutting master 2 timeout

htc

Ok...Im happy to report that I finally got this issue solved!!
I now have both QuickCut and CuttingMaster2 both communicating with illustrator as intended!! YAAAAAAY!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions about firewalls and com ports, etc, but as I suspected..ultimately, my problem was directly connected with the Advanced System Care software I mentioned earlier. I still cant say what specific function, setting, or file was modified/deleted to create the situation, but it definitely came as a result of the ASC "optimization" (default settings I might add) that I did on my system.
I had pretty much given up on this and moved the cutter to another machine entirely, and strongly considering reinstalling my OS as a last resort to get my cutter running on that machine again. Got an new external drive to backup my main drive..and while looking around for files to backup, I happened to notice a folder for IObit, in my documents and settings\application data\programs\ folder. I had uninstalled ASC, so this was a 'leftover'..and now Im glad it was there because buried within that folder, I ran across a few registry backups! Considering all the changes I had made to the system trying to get this fixed, I was a bit paranoid of merging a month old file with my current registry, but made restore points and all that before so...believe I was covered. Things worked out tho..I ran the Eusa reg-cleaner directly after merge, corrected a few issues, then opened an illustrator file, hit cut/plot and TA-DAAAH! ...CM2/QC both open up!! Now I just gotta move and reconnect the cutter and Im good to go!!

BTW...I never did hear a peep from IObit support after my contact so I guess I might add a little review to their cnet download page. :noway:

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone and I just hopes this helps someone else avoid or correct a similar situation.

phototec

Ok...Im happy to report that I finally got this issue solved!!
I now have both QuickCut and CuttingMaster2 both communicating with illustrator as intended!! YAAAAAAY!!!

Got an new external drive to backup my main drive..and while looking around for files to backup, I happened to notice a folder for IObit, in my documents and settings\application data\programs\ folder. I had uninstalled ASC, so this was a 'leftover'..and now Im glad it was there because buried within that folder, I ran across a few registry backups! Considering all the changes I had made to the system trying to get this fixed, I was a bit paranoid of merging a month old file with my current registry, but made restore points and all that before so...believe I was covered. Things worked out tho..I ran the Eusa reg-cleaner directly after merge, corrected a few issues, then opened an illustrator file, hit cut/plot and TA-DAAAH! ...CM2/QC both open up!!

Great news, not being a computer guru, can you break down the steps you took to fix this issue so I can try it?

I'm pretty sure I removed Advanced System Care from my system a while back, it's no longer listed in my Control Panel (Add or Remove Programs), no Advanced System Care, and no IObit in the program folder.

However, using windows explorer (Windows XP) I found the following files:

My Computer\Documents and Settings\Program Files\ IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\Backup\RegistryBackup

So, I may have the same exact problem you had, the RegistryBackup file has a modified date of Jan 2009, and I have made several updates to my computer system and other applications since then, so I don't really want to do a system restore back before Jan of 2009.

What can I do do to get rid of these old "RegistryBackup", can I just run the "Eusa reg-cleaner"?

Do I need to physically delete the IObit folder and all the other files inside including the "RegistryBackup" mentioned above?

Like I said above, not really a computer guru, so please give basic steps on what I should do to remove this potential problem files from my computer.

Thanks for any and all help, it would be great to be able to print directly from illy again.

htc

Hey Phototec..Im not much of a guru either..I just muddle my way through most of the time, which is probably what gets me into these messes..lol!!

What you are looking for is a ".reg" format file. If your backup folder doesnt contain this kind of file, then what I did will not work. Thats not to say the files might not work some other way, but, thats unknown at this time so I wont speculate.

Im running winXP and for me it was as simple as navigating to the reg file in the backup folder, verifying the desired file created date was the earliest available (or at least preceding the time you noticed the cutting issue), making a restore point (system restore) just in case something really bad happened..and then simply right-click the file and select MERGE from the options. There will be at least one warning prompt about making changes to your registry, just accept and go on...if it goes bad, then you can use system restore. If all goes ok, you should immediately run the eusa or other registry cleaner of choice to make sure nothing invalid has been placed in your registry. Once thats done..open illy and see what happens. Hopefully you will have the CM2 program at your disposal again.

As far as getting rid of the leftover files...when you have no other need of them...just delete the folder from your program files. The next time you run the registry cleaner it will flag any values that point to those file locations and because the software has been uninstalled..its safe to remove the reg. values pertaining to it.

I tried to restore from the ASC program before uninstall, but it didnt work. Which is why I was really shocked to find those backups intact.
Btw, if you dont find the ".reg" files in the program files folder..(I didnt, but your situation may be different)..then you might look in the 'application data' folder under your main user identity..something like :
My Computer
C:\Documents and Settings\mainuser\Application Data\ IObit\

note : the folder "application data" is normally a 'hidden' folder by default. So you may need to go to your Control Panel\Folder Options...then under the VIEW tab, scroll to Hidden Files and Folders and check "show"..ok (or apply).

Anyway..thats where I found my solution. Hope it helps phototec! plmk.