• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Constant head strikes WTH!

CMYKprnt

I am running a job and I keep having the same issue - It seems like the take up reel is not rolling up evenly. After the printer prints for 10-15 minutes I start to have issues with the media ( see photos). i have tried every thing I can think of to make it work but no luck. Anyone have this issue before? I have never had this happen. Is it possible that the roll is wound crooked?
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Printer: Eco Solvent Epson S70670
Media: Xcel Magnetic Receptive
Roll: 54"x150'
Heater settings: 38, 38, 40

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 274

player

Magnetic material is very heavy. Most say not to print it, as it is too heavy, and can wear out the printer prematurely. Could the weight be causing the reel to be uneven?

Is your magnetic not yet magnetized?

Ragnabrok

looks like it's feeding crooked, from the back on side is tight, and the other side has lots of slack. I see some prints on the take up reel, was it used for this set?

crooked media a lot of times is from how it's loaded, if one core end is in further than the other, the roll will be leaning down on one side. It's hard to tell from the pictures if thats an issue here.

Dionysus

Get yourself a fabric tape measure (a tailor's tape measure) about 10 feet long, and measure off both sides of the input roller to the take up (in a loop fashion). Your input roll is not square causing everything to skew. Get it down to the mm and you'll be right as rain.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
My first thought is: the material is sticking to the printer somehow (i.e., there's something the magnet is attracted to).
There could be a support piece under the finned area that's made of steel that the material is being "held" by.
Just a thought.
I'd also check to see whether Epson advises against printing to magnetic material (despite the availability of the media, I know Mutoh flat-out says do not run magnetic material through a ValueJet printer)?

Andriy

You need to play with your media tension on the Epson for that material.
It's in the Advanced Settings under customize.

I believe it's standard at 15 or so, try to increase it and see if it helps. Goes up to 40 I believe.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You need to play with your media tension on the Epson for that material.
It's in the Advanced Settings under customize.

I believe it's standard at 15 or so, try to increase it and see if it helps. Goes up to 40 I believe.

That is an expensive material to mess up on, print on normal adhesive vinyl and mount it to the magnets.

rawjahprintshop

im very late to this party but did anyone figure out the original posted issue? I cant dare run the magnet material through my roland sg2-300, it seems so damn heavy i feel like i will snap something in the machine that i just wont do it... No way itll pull through the machine easily. Just like suess says right about me, much easier to print on vinyl, mount and cut out on the flat bed. atleast for me anyways.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
Run a slip sheet under the material, magnet can get a static charge and stick real bad. Then check your heat.
The weight of the magnet should drop naturally so your tension should be fine, you may just need to not use the pickup roll at all. I’ve printed thousands of magnet jobs and had to fight those same nuances

greysquirrel

Ahh s70 the original 30 50 70 were prone to this if your R2R has not been calibrated properly. Most times they were not. It does not show on all media, but this might be one of them.
Other item to check is the media profile that you created on the printer. You probably need a specific one due to weight. I raise head height while at it. But you may need to correct the feed tension.