• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Constructing Lightbox Frame.

Holysteel

Hello there,

Been outsourcing my frames outside. I decided lately to make it myself. What machines do i need for for building a lightbox frame from start?

I believe it very straight forward, nothing complicated. just do need a metal cutter & a welder. Some welding skills & electrical wiring know-how and i am good to go?

Please advise.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't know about your country, but here..... and most other countries, you need to be licensed in order to build anything electrical. You need to be accountable if anything goes wrong.

J Hill Designs

lets see...definitely a metal break, definitely a D-punch for the fluo fixtures

didnt see at first you were in thailand but yeah here in the states you need to be certified

Holysteel

Ah.. do not worry about it. In this country. As long as nobody dies, they could't care less. If someone is hurt or killed. You just have to pay compensation. Thats about it.

If you do work in major companies like hotels, resorts, theme parks, airlines then yes they will check your electrical certificate.

But for a small sign shop. No. If anything happens. They just deal with the shop directly. I might be wrong. Will double check the law for confirmation again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:banghead:

And people wonder why........ why, oh why..... ??

I'm getting ready to leave for the day, but before I go.... do you mean you really have that low of a feeling for life, that you don't care if someone gets hurt, maimed or killed and you'll just deal with it.... one-on-one ??

It doesn't matter what your credentials are or what the law says.... you just will build something that could catch fire cause you don't know what you're doing and if four of five people die in the fire.... you'll just deal with it ??

Holysteel

Ah..No Gino. I just think a sign could not cause any great harm. Could be wrong.

I hear ya ! All right will get that certification.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Or just hire someone who can do it for you. Instead of subbing out the complete box, order knock-down kits and have a qualified person build it in your shop and have him help you install it so insurance and codes are met for all involved. Then, you're covered on all angles.

nwsigns

Its not likely to cause harm but its surprising how easy it is to create a short out and a fire or have the sign body not grounded and electrocute someone.

Keith Stanley

Holysteel could you not build it yourself to the relevent saftey standard and then pay an electrician to test and certify it? In the UK this is called PAT testing, Portable Appliance Testing. I know that your light boxes may not be portable but isn't something similar in Thailand? If you did that then you would save the cost of paying an electrician to build the and wire the boxes but you would still have a Safety Certificate when you sold the product.

Just an idea to think about....

anotherdog

No see this is Big Government for you, North America should follow the Thai example and stop legislating the pants off the little guy.

Did the founding Fathers have insurance and qualifications? Nope.

Replace all the safety crap with "if it falls off and kills someone, you pay".

Marlene

Ah..No Gino. I just think a sign could not cause any great harm. Could be wrong.

you are kidding, am I right? anything and I mean anything powered by an electrical current is a danger if not done right. if you don't know that, maybe it would be better if you weren't building sign cabinets. I'm sure your fellow countrymen would appreciate it