• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Construction Site Sign Fastest Method?

Spencer McMurtry

I got a bid to do a job with two 4'x8' digital print double sided construction site 1 year signs. I am SUPER busy and dont have much time to put into this. i am wanting to know to know what way would be easiest to go about this. i will be installing the sign. i was thinking of buying one of those plastic frames from 4everframes however if i do this what is the cheapest substrate i can use in it? 10mm choroplast, or does it have to be something stronger? would using plywood work? i only have 10mm choroplast and 3mm dibond instock and dont really want to have to buy another substrate order as i just did last week.

Thanks!
Spencer

Spencer McMurtry

just has to be two double sided 4'x8' digital prints on a substrate installed at a construction site, they need to hold up one year. is this what you are asking?

I am thinking i want to dig holes rather than build a frame, we have really high winds here in nebraska.

royster13

Those are not specs.......I just hope you give your client what they are expecting......With that description there is lots of room for a misunderstanding.....Detailed specs protect both parties.....

Letterbox Mike

4'x8' 6mm Alumacorr, 2 4x4" non-treated posts with a 1/4"x3/4" dado groove, 2 30" holes and 4 bags of gravel and you're set. If you can't cut or route a dado into the posts, alot of companies sell metal corner brackets you screw onto the posts and mount the sign in.

Don't use 10mm coro or dibond for this if you have wind, neither are rigid enough.

Spencer McMurtry

4'x8' 6mm Alumacorr, 2 4x4" non-treated posts with a 1/4"x3/4" dado groove, 2 30" holes and 4 bags of gravel and you're set. If you can't cut or route a dado into the posts, alot of companies sell metal corner brackets you screw onto the posts and mount the sign in.

Don't use 10mm coro or dibond for this if you have wind, neither are rigid enough.

sounds super easy! 5mil alumacorr or 10mil? Thanks for the replys!

TheSnowman

We did this for a bank that was going up. I just subbed out the install. The guy built the frame with screws, then took a few screws out so he could fit it in the back of his truck easily, then once he got there, screwed it back together, and screwed my alumalite sign to the frame. Worked great.

Pat Whatley

Why frame it? Two posts, two pieces of 1/2" MDO, and two digital prints.

Dig your holes, set your posts, install a sign on each side, go get a check. It'll last five years or better.

Of you can use 10ml coro, just run three 2"x4"s between the posts.

I would suggest against using the metal brackets to hold Alumacore or 10ml coro between two posts. The wind here will rip the signs out of the brackets (literally pulls the screws through the material) so I doubt they'd last any time at all out there.

I pay $84.29 per sheet for 5ml alumacore including delivery but my supplier has a weekly delivery route to me, it doesn't have to come freight line.

Spencer McMurtry

Dig your holes, set your posts, install a sign on each side, go get a check. It'll last five years or better.

Of you can use 10ml coro, just run three 2"x4"s between the posts.

your saying use two pieces of 10mil coro and use 4x4 for posts then use 2x4's between the pieces of coro? this doesn't sound like a bad idea ether.. and this way i wouldn't have to drop a grand on substrates. are you sure this would hold up a year?

Thanks!

Pat Whatley

Man, I've seriously got at least 150 of the MDO signs (single and double sided) up around town. I do project signs for several banks and construction companies that way and most of my real estate signs are done like that.

Using the coro I've got 20 or so around, some as old as five years old.

The only failures I get are when I don't set my posts deep enough and they start to lean....or they leave the "temporary" MDO signs up for 7 years and the wood starts to fail.

If you use the coro spend the extra $10 to buy the L shaped backets they sell at Lowes and Home Depot for attaching a 2x4 to a 4x4. They work a whole lot easier than trying to toe nail in cross braces on site.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
your saying use two pieces of 10mil coro and use 4x4 for posts then use 2x4's between the pieces of coro? this doesn't sound like a bad idea ether.. and this way i wouldn't have to drop a grand on substrates. are you sure this would hold up a year?

Thanks!

Have a problem with reading comprehension?

The post to which you responded with the above plainly said 'MDO' not Coroplast

Prior to that you twice asked about 5mm or 10mm Alumalite. The post to which theses responses were made plainly said 6mm. As far as anyone knows Alumalite comes in 6mm and 10mm, not 5mm.

Spencer McMurtry

Have a problem with reading comprehension?

The post to which you responded with the above plainly said 'MDO' not Coroplast

Prior to that you twice asked about 5mm or 10mm Alumalite. The post to which theses responses were made plainly said 6mm. As far as anyone knows Alumalite comes in 6mm and 10mm, not 5mm.

grimco only sells 5mm and 10mm alumalite, why would you waste your time posting a response that doesn't help anybody?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
grimco only sells 5mm and 10mm alumalite, why would you waste your time posting a response that doesn't help anybody?

Wherever did you derive the strange notion that any and all responses should help anyone?

You post whatever it might please you to post. People then respond in whatever manner it might please them to do so. If some reply or another should prove helpful, fine. If it should not, that's fine as well.

Alumalite, a proprietary brand name from Laminators Inc., comes in 6mm and 10mm. Not 5mm. Perhaps some other brand of laminated panel is available in 5mm but not Alumalite.

Flame

ORRRRRRR, try a new supplier. :) Personally I'd use MDO, but alumilite would work too. I used to hate MDO until I learned how to work with it properly. One of my favorite substrates now.

Question is why the **** would you have to buy 10 sheets? Is that a minimum? Do you not have a local supplier????

You're making this sound far more complicated than it really is. If you truly do not have ANY local suppliers that you can pick up a substrate from, how about checking out a lumber yard for 1/2" MDO, prime and coat it, apply graphics, sink your posts and use L brackets to attach it to your posts and call it a day? :)

Last edited:

royster13

Why do folks have such a hard time accepting the advice they are offered?......If you do not like the advice, ignore it, shut up and move on.....

And as far as your questions, these should have been asked ans answered long before you quoted on the job, not after.....A quote and a job should be complete with all the specifications before an agreement is reached.....

GoodPeopleFlags

I'd use 10mm Coro. In fact, we do all the time. MDO and Alumalite (Grimco sells Alumacore 5mm and 10mm) are overkill in my opinion. Want fast and cheap? 10mm Coro. Want it to last for years? Use Alumacore. But nothing will last years at a construction site. I haven't used MDO in years. Used to all the time. I don't really see the need to anymore. It's heavy and requires the additional labor of painting.

Pat Whatley

I agree, since you're covering the whole thing with a print use the coro. If you want to get real fancy use the edge banding.

Ignore Bob, his hemorrhoids are apparently flared up again today....it pleases me to post that.

MachServTech

Wherever did you derive the strange notion that any and all responses should help anyone?

Yeah silly! Pft! Why would one have any reasonable expectation of help at Signs 101?

Bob you exemplerfy the coceptilation with regard to the art of Troll.

TheSnowman

We framed ours because it was just sitting ON TOP of the ground, and not digging posts down in. Then it was easy to pick up and transport to the next site, no digging needed. Just set two sand bags on it.