• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Construction site sign

Kyle Blue

I've made a 4' x 8' sign for a construction company to put on site. They want it mounted on legs but did not give me a height. What would all of you say is the average height of a sign like this? Has someone done this before? Thanks in advance for the help.

Si Allen

I usually use 1/2 inch MDO and ask if they want me to install it at $85/hour ... or do they want to have their laborers install it?

99% of the time they have their laborers plant 2 4X4s and nail it on with double headed concrete form nails. (Makes it easier to pull the nails and use the sign as a wheel barrow ramp ... a couple of months later.)

Kyle Blue

Thanks SignManiac, I was thinking 6 feet, so 7 sounds good to me as well. The legs they wanted us to make are portable though, so they can take it to several sites.

iSign

thanks signmaniac, i was thinking 6 feet, so 7 sounds good to me as well. The legs they wanted us to make are portable though, so they can take it to several sites.

that's insane!

How much are they offering to pay for this?

How much for liability insurance when it blows over?

Take si's advice and be done with it (except make it $100 an hour)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Then you want a sled sign. This one is high because of the fence next to it, so build yours accordingly so it doesn't blow over. Discuss with your customer what his restrictions are for height. Only he can tell you what it must be.

• Must anyone see under it for making turns ??
  • Does it block anyone's vision for anything ??
  • Is there a fence or wall near by ??
  • Is it close to an intersection ??
  • How far away must it be seen ??
This sign had more go into the building and cost of materials for the installation, than the sign itself.

Attachments

• sled install-3.jpg
    sled install-3.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 118
they want you to make it portable!! isign is correct....thats insane!! you have basically a 4' x 8' sail, so if its not planted into the ground, that thing is going to fly if any wind hits it. whos going to get the blame if it hits someone or a car/truck eyc?

Kyle Blue

Thanks Gino, I did send the customer an e-mail to ask how high he wanted it. But ya, it's going to look a lot like the one you posted.

Pat Whatley

A 4x8 on a stand is no big deal. Don't know how you're going to charge for it but I'd be looking at about $300 for the stand alone if we make it out of wood (we'd use 6x6 posts for the base just for the weight)

The biggest problem they're going to face is that by the time you put your base on it's going to be so wide, and so heavy, that moving it across town to a new location is going to be ridiculously involved.

Kyle Blue

I don't deal with the pricing. We have someone who puts the quotes together, I just design, print and install.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A 4x8 on a stand is no big deal. Don't know how you're going to charge for it but I'd be looking at about $300 for the stand alone if we make it out of wood (we'd use 6x6 posts for the base just for the weight)

The biggest problem they're going to face is that by the time you put your base on it's going to be so wide, and so heavy, that moving it across town to a new location is going to be ridiculously involved.

We do signs for quite a few real estate companies and management companies and they all have a guy who uses a trailer for delivering and picking up these types of signs. You just rock them into the trailer and bing-badda-boom.... you're done in 10 minutes. The one I have posted above, was built in our shop and assembled on site. It took about 1/2 hour to assemble on site.

J Hill Designs

if the sled needs extra tiedown due to wind load, etc, just pound some 2' metal concrete form stakes into the ground and screw to the sled legs

Gino

Premium Subscriber
if the sled needs extra tiedown due to wind load, etc, just pound some 2' metal concrete form stakes into the ground and screw to the sled legs

That's Okay on ground or macadam, but concrete.... not so well. On concrete, we just generally use the 6" x 6" and go with 8' or 10' runners.

We use a 12" spike and have never had one topple over yet...... 39 going on 40 years. :covereyes:

Kyle Blue

In the past, the company I work for just laid sandbags down on the legs. This is my first time doing a sign like this, but the company I work for has done them before.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In the past, the company I work for just laid sandbags down on the legs. This is my first time doing a sign like this, but the company I work for has done them before.

While this method works and works well........ the legs you mentioned seem to happen to the sandbags around here.

We stopped that years ago. Plus they break open or are kicked open and you have one heck of a mess.