Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest

Discussion in 'Classroom Assignments' started by D2S, Feb 19, 2008.

1. D2S

D2S Active Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Well I had an idea about starting a contest. Before people starting thinking this is another get a design for free we can work that out. Here is my idea we start a weekly or monthly contest where we can submit designs and have them voted on by the other members. The reason I am thinking this is I see a lot of people looking for feedback and wanting to get better so the more you do the better you get in my eyes. I know I want to get better so I think this would help me along with others. Also with each logo we can make fictious company names. And sometimes we can make it so it can be used with just cut vinyl while others are digital prints. Would people be interested?

Or we can always start an open challenge forum putting two members against each other. Just coming up with an idea or two.

Tags:
  2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    a design off....sweet.

3. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a great idea. Im up for it.

4. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    hahahaha, a design off would be pretty fun.

I challenge BOB!!!

5. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    After that beating you put on OP do you really think Bob wants any?

6. D2S

D2S Active Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    How about this I will make the first challenge, shovelhead want to have a contest? and we can have flamey make the rules then we can just continue it on and on?

7. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Umm, we've done these b4....but they're still cool!

8. Shovelhead

Dec 5, 2003
    I'm in.

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Although there’s nothing wrong with the concept, don’t most people have enough on their plate already…. to get engaged in a ‘Sign-Off’ contest ??

Putting people up against each other will probably be the fastest way to lose membership.

Some people are from entirely different areas and not everyone is in to designing. Some people here are fabricators, screeners and build large electric signs.

Not to be a ‘Party Pooper’, but the way its presently going…. is fine. If you want to further your skills, attach a drawing and let everyone critique it. Making this place into a competition battleground will only turn a site such as this into a few cliques and nothing will be accomplished.

Doing a group project as we did about a year ago… where a few set the boundaries and have a month or so to complete the task, such as 'SignCraft’ does in their magazine…is a much more fair approach to accomplish the same thing.

10. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    hahaha. I'm not going to finish something that OP won't. I made one out of fun but won't post it as he didn't want to do a contest. So if he feels like posting something up I'll snap a photo of it and show it.

As far as Shovel vs. astours, sounds good! Want me to put together the requirements?

11. D2S

D2S Active Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    alright first Gino,

It is not required if you have to much to do then do not participate, as for people getting worked up I hope people are mature enough. Like me versus Shovel is probably going to end up with me getting crushed but the point is I am going to do some design as will he and then we will get feedback. The thing is we are going to get the same instructions from one person and see how we interrupt it.

Flamey,
    why don't you start a new thread for it to take place in, when you do make the guidelines, I think we should have a time frame a week sounds good to me and the criteria. What media it will be used, number of colors and information needed. anything we would need to make the logo for the company. If you even want to attach an image that must be used you may many customers do that to us. I think this will be fun and I hope we can have fun with it.

Shovel, best of luck to you man

12. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Im in

13. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    I say we stake out a pit lined with rocks. Tow opposing members garbed in animal pelt loincloths DUAL TIL THE DEATH!

The loser's head is impaled on a stake posted on the homepage.

14. OneUpTenn

OneUpTenn Active Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Whatever happened to mud wrestling?

15. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    I know some people who have the skills don't have the time, and vice-versa, so why not make this like a daily or weekly lunchtime contest? Each contestant only gets 30 min or an hour to come up with something and submit it. You would get more participants this way I think. Trust me, I'm now officially a "Master of Arts!"

16. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Contest rules are up...

17. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    Make it really interesting and add a butt load of text to the imaginary company. I like viewing you guys & gals layouts, Joe's Pluming with an add.& ph.# is just to plain

18. Air Art Girl

Air Art Girl Very Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    what might be more interesting is if Fred came up with a company bio and info and we had each member add just one element to the design. I would have to sent back to Fred after each element was added and he would email it to the next contestant and see what we come up with. At the same time, everyone works on their own design and they get posted to vote on like Shagnasty's

19. THATgirl

THATgirl Very Active Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Sounds fun but would have to be something that doesn't take a ton of time for those who are busy but want to participate!

20. Shovelhead

Dec 5, 2003

I'm on this site with nothing to do from 6-10 on the laptop....
    beats watching the old lady's "how do I look"..."extreme makeover"...and all that other jazz on the boob tube.