• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cut Is Cutting Shadow and Letter

Gordy Saunders

When I apply the contour cut it cuts the entire outline of the shadow and the entire outline of the letter.

I just started doing this.

I want it to cut around the outside of the letter and the shadow, but I can't figure out how to make it do that.

I feel like I am flipping out or something. I don't know why it has started doing this.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

threeputt

In order to sort this out, may I ask a couple of quick questions?

1) In VersaWorks, when you click on the cut controls icon, then go to cut only, do you get the red "marching ants" showing that you've programmed a cutline in all of those areas? (the ones where you don't want the cut)

2) Is this something "new" that is happening and you've been successful doing this very type of print/cut job before?

If the answer to question one is yes, then the problem resides in your layout program. What program do you use? Is it Omega? Illy, Flexi, Corel?

Gordy Saunders

Yes I get the red marching ants, and they are marching where I do not want to cut.

Yes this is something new. It use to cut around the shadow and the letter and not seperate them.

I am using Flexi Pro and importing into VersaWorks.

threeputt

I'm sure I'm going to be of no use to you since I don't have a working knowledge of Flexi.

But it sounds as if you've got the cutline (cutting path information) applied to the letter's shape. When you only want it around the shadow? Correct? (would help if you could show a .jpeg of your object.)

Go back into Flexi and see if there's a "style" difference between the the letter and the shadow. Something is giving VW the information to cut there. In Omega (my program) cutlines can be turned off and on. In some programs a special color command must be used.

bbeens

Gordy-

I agree with threeputt. Sound like you have the fill color set to be the contour cut color hence lots of cutting you don't want. I don't know flexi either, but I would look for a fill vs outline color option. I could tell you how to do it in Illy really easy though.

Bryan

Gordy Saunders

I figured it out. After I click on contour cut I have to seperate the contour cut. That lets the printer cut the outline of the letter and the shadow without cutting each of them seperately. But thanks for the help. I am indebted to all of you.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
No need to separate the contour cut.
Contour cuts can be applied from both the Arrange menu and the Effects menu. Not sure where you started but
check your offset and uncheck "with holes"