• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cut with Corel Draw

Fun Signs

Ok I'm new to signs so please go easy on me, But how do I do a contour cut around a decal? I have corel draw 7. Thanks for the help. :thankyou:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Not enough information. It's like saying "I have a wheel, how do I build an automobile?"

Nonetheless, here's the definitive answer: You add a path to the image that represents the contour cut. You register the media with the image in the cutter such that the origins of the cutter and whatever made the image are in exactly the same place and the axes are aligned identically. Then cut the path that you ordained to be the contour on the media that contains the properly oriented and aligned image.

Exactly how you do this depends very much on just what you're using for hardware and software.

You have Corel 7, not a particularly auspicious beginning, what else do you have? How did the image to be contour cut come to be on the media? What hardware and software put it on the media? Are there any provisions for registration as part of the image? What are you using for a cutter? What software are you using to drive it?

Fun Signs

I Just have a Stika SX-12. The sign software is Signmate. I understand how to do the path, But isn't there a way to do it faster, Like outline the image to cut is out?

gvgraphics

You can NOT contour cut with a stika. You need design software that puts registration points on the print and then a cutter that can read those points to know where to cut.

bob

gvgraphics said:
You can NOT contour cut with a stika. You need design software that puts registration points on the print and then a cutter that can read those points to know where to cut.

Maybe, maybe not. You don't need an automatic mark sensing apparatus. You can print a 3 or preferably 4 point set of manual marks and locate them with a light pen, bomb sight, or even the cutter blade. What you do need is cutter software capable of reading these reference points back from the cutter, inferring the axes from these readings, and adjusting itself accordingly.

The software prints the marks where it thinks they should be and knows that they exist. The registration process of reading back the marks, either automatically or manually, serves to allow the software to adjust itself to accommodate where the marks actually are versus where it thinks they might be. In other words, it can adjust the logical map to the actual territory.

This process depends far more on the software than on the hardware. If the software is capable of managing intra-device registration and the hardware is able to output the proper data to the software, then you can contour cut with something resembling precision.

This is in general, I have no ideawhat the actual capabilities of this particular hardware/software combination might be.

Fun Signs

I am able to draw a square box around the image and it cuts that fine, But It to be more of a outline of the image if you know what I mean.

gvgraphics

Again you can not automatically do that with a stika.

Bob,
The stika is a craft cutter, it has no means of transferring data back to the software. There is no adjustments to be able to do this with this cutter. I know this because we had one a few years back.

The only chance you have to do this is to take the image you printed, make it a black silhouette and vectorized it. Then hope your alignment is exact and cut the silhouette.

OldPaint

try makin a copy of decal, take it off to the side, break aprt and delet it all except the outline you need...then grab one of the corner points and open it a little....then place that outline on the decal...it will be just a tad bigger....group and cut.

Techman

I contour cut on my anagraph with Corel and Cocut pro.
It took a while to figure it out. But I do it manually. Design in corel draw add in a couple of line up opoints. print it making sure the spacing will be the exact same as in cocut.
Place vinyl in cutter and line it up exactly to where it should be according to some pre marked spots,, cut it one row at a time. I have to watch the alignment just in case it off tracks but usually it does just fine. I use Cocut pro.. It will add in a contour for me according to the settings i wish.

This is a rough idea because I haven't contour cut in a while..

Ken

Try this:
Cut your outline size letters first.(ie: black)
Then cut out your letters to proper size.(ie:white)
Lay down the outline as one unit.
Apply the letters (one by one) on top of the outline. ( Use application fluid to position correctly, or clear transfer tape without app. fluid if you are adventurous)
I still have a Stika 12 ( gathering dust), it is a good start.
You can now get a 24 in. cutter for about the same price.
Good luck ...Ken

a2p geoz

This applies only to Corel XIII:

1 Select all the objects
2 Go to "effects" on the menu bar
3 Click on "create boundary"
4 Done!

Best regards,

George

Fun Signs

I have corel 9. I made a mistake by saying I have 7. I will try those tips. I really want to a Versacam SP300V someday. Countour and cut all in one machine. :cool1:

Lance

:thread
Just quickly, what's the difference between outline and contour in this instance ?
:thread

We will return you to your regular program shortly. :thumb:

bob

Lance said:
Just quickly, what's the difference between outline and contour in this instance ?
We will return you to your regular program shortly.

In Corel an outline is a ribbon of specified width centered on the outside edges of the selection being outlined. It's analogous a stroke in Flexi.

A contour in Corel is a copy of the selection, or multiple copies of the selection, larger or smaller than the selection placed behind or in front of, depending, the selection. It's analogous to an outline in Flexi. Somewhat.

A boundary in Corel is a path that traces the exterior edge of the selection. It's pretty much the same as doing a single contour with a size of 0.0". It's analogous to doing a contour with 0.0" offset in Flexi.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 150

TresL

Is there an easy way to control the boundary offset like in Flexi?

Last edited: