• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

contour cutting perf

JLSignsLLC

Monday, Monday! My graphtec is having trouble picking up registration marks while trying to cut perf. I used a black pen to draw the line darker, cut out a few then back to the same mark scan error. So I tried a sharpie marker. Cut out a few then just does not want to read the marks. Running out of options. Any help is help.

Thanks, Jason

J Hill Designs

or an overlay of reg marks printed on solid white (so as to not have the 'perf' part missing some of the mark)

not sure, never tried. just a thought.

JLSignsLLC

Tried an over lay of vinyl and also tried lamanate. Still no luck. Going with Plan C what ever that may be. Maybe a man will show up with a top hat and some rabbits. F word! Thank you for the help.

RG

I have had the same problem with my Graphtec FC-7000. Plus, when it would read the calibration marks the cut would be off, even after several recalibrations. Someone here on this forum posted the solution that I have been using for about a year now. It takes maybe 2 minutes longer, but it works EVERY time, perfectly. I'll try to explain it. When you are ready to send the file for contour cutting, enter the Rip & Print window, click on the Advanced tab and click the Contour button. Select "4 point" from the menu of registraton mark types. It is usually the first one on the list. This will print a bombsight at each corner of your print. When you click to send the contour cutting job to the plotter, it will ask you if you want to use "interactive" or "digitize." Choose "digitize". Next, it will ask you if you want to use the light pointer. Select, "Yes." The red light will come on. With the plotter's arrow keys move the media and the carriage until the light points dead center of the 1st registration mark. When you have the light centered, use the mouse or press enter. The software will move to where it thinks mark #2 is, but it probably will not be in the dead center of the mark. So, again use the plotters arrow keys to move the light until it is in the dead center of mark #2. Press enter again. Repeat these steps for mark #3 and mark #4. After all 4 are centered, the software will tell you to replace the light pointer or something like that. Just select whatever means "Continue" on your monitor. You do not physically have to change anything. The plotter will use whatever condition you have selected. Then, the plotter cuts your contour job. Works every time for me. Hope it helps someone else out there.

JLSignsLLC

RG, you are the man! Nothing sexual meant by this but i love you. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. Ever need anything shoot me a message.

tollerdad

I had same problem with FC-8000. Couldn't get it to read marks, used compressed air to blow off eye and darken marks etc with no change. Finally partially dis-assembled the cutter so I could turn the eye towards me and there was a very small piece of vinyl stuck on the eye. Couldn't see it until I removed the cutter. Removed that pesky piece of vinyl and it has worked fine ever since.

anotherdog

I have just taken some marks from a previous job and (carefully) stuck them over.
then just grit your teeth as the knife bounces across the design.
Keep the speed up or you will cut right through the backing when it hits a hole.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Maybe I'm dumb, but I've never had a need to contour-cut perf... Why do you guys cut it on the plotter?

RG

You are welcome, Ken1f. There is something else that the Graphtech tech guy told me to try that worked for a while. Normally, when the ARMS is trying to read each registration mark, it pushes down right against the vinyl. There are some settings that you can adjust that will stop it from pushing down against the vinyl. This may enable the ARMS to find all registration marks better. But, if you do this, then your vinyl better be laying down flat with no kinks or raised sections where the registration marks are. Maybe some one else here who has done this will post the directions. If not, I'll dig through my notes and post the directions.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I've never had a need to contour-cut perf... Why do you guys cut it on the plotter?

To make shaped decals and stickers..like a ball team logo or something to allow there to be an eighth of white around it.

We did a pinwheel for prevention job and it was cut out of paper like pinwheels for grocery stores and such to hang up after people donate...made over 1000 of them 4 inch pinwheels right off the FC-8000

You basically have to create your own perf settings because the defaults are crap