• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Conversion from one brand of vinyl to another brand.

I was able to convert 3 of the 5 colors i have

3m 3630-137 European Blue = Avery UC 900-691-T Twilight Blue
3M 3630-127 Intense Blue = Avery UC 900-661-T Pantone 3005 C
3M 3630-7714 Blue Translucent = ? (My 3M Color Chart is from 2004....doesn't have this color in it to compare.)
3M VPT10222 Translucent Vinyl = ? ( Dont see anything like this in my chart. It is supposed to be a light blue though.)
3M 3630-73 Dark Red = Avery UC 900-430-T

Anyone have an updated Color Chart that can convert these 2 colors to Avery for me?

Marlene

if you are comparing the two charts and don't see it, it doesn't exist. why not use the 3M for those colors?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wait a minute............. do you mean you have one supplier and one supplier only ??

We have two and three suppliers for like items. What would you ever do if they are outta stock or like in this case... don't even carry it ??

Some places, if they specify 3M, they expect 3M and could stop payment to you if you substiture and not let them know.

There are 1/2 dozen or more 3M dealers within a day of you which could supply you with the brand you need.

Marlene

I doubt that 3M has added any colors since 2004, in fact, I don't think they have added a new color since the 90's. there are other suppliers that might have a current chart or you can contact Avery to see what they have for matches. Avery has many more colors than 3M and I know they have a lot that 3M doesn't have as I would love to use them but I won't use avery

Wait a minute............. do you mean you have one supplier and one supplier only ??

We have two and three suppliers for like items. What would you ever do if they are outta stock or like in this case... don't even carry it ??

Some places, if they specify 3M, they expect 3M and could stop payment to you if you substiture and not let them know.

There are 1/2 dozen or more 3M dealers within a day of you which could supply you with the brand you need.

We actually have 2 regular suppliers....both i dont like but im not the boss and i have to go with what they say. One carries Avery and one carries Oracal.... We can get 3M from them but its special order and i need to have it by wednesday.

CanuckSigns

There is one supplier for 3M vinyl in all of Canada, and they never have stock of pretty much anything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There is one supplier for 3M vinyl in all of Canada, and they never have stock of pretty much anything.

Sorry to hear that about Canada......... sounds like someone could make some boo-koo bucks if they opened a distributorship up there. As for this guy [the OP], he's right up the road from us and I know for a fact, there are any number of places he could get 3M without hassles. However, one has to have these places already set up for purchasing goods. If I wanted to buy vinyl, we must have 20 established accounts for that item alone. Seems this guy should have a talk with his superiors and give them some insight on the necessities of having several accounts around the country. :wink:

Sorry to hear that about Canada......... sounds like someone could make some boo-koo bucks if they opened a distributorship up there. As for this guy [the OP], he's right up the road from us and I know for a fact, there are any number of places he could get 3M without hassles. However, one has to have these places already set up for purchasing goods. If I wanted to buy vinyl, we must have 20 established accounts for that item alone. Seems this guy should have a talk with his superiors and give them some insight on the necessities of having several accounts around the country. :wink:

Also some suppliers only sell a minimum of 10yds on a roll...when we dont need 10 yds that is a waste

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Also some suppliers only sell a minimum of 10yds on a roll...when we dont need 10 yds that is a waste

You said your boss makes those decisions. Unless you are getting some exotic color or something you'll never use again in 10 years, that waste, as you call it, is a real money maker. We call that gravy. If you are using less then 10 yards of 30" or so vinyl that the 'waste' isn't worth it..... you're doing a relatively small job. Most jobs should at least pay for the materials being bought with the hopes of having a lot left over. The next time you don't have to buy it, but you still charge out as if you did.

For instance, say you're doing a small 3' x 5' 2-sided sign..... the customer pays for a full sheet of substrate and a well rounded number to pay for the vinyl. You should be charging your input time, cutting time, weeding time, taping up time, prepping time, application time, clean up time and any other things you need to do to make a sign whole. Then you add in your overhead and waste factors like paper towels, weaselp!ss and other crap you need to get a job out. If you don't have enough in there to buy a full roll of vinyl, you are doing something terribly wrong..... well, not you, but your bosses.

Locals Find!

You said your boss makes those decisions. Unless you are getting some exotic color or something you'll never use again in 10 years, that waste, as you call it, is a real money maker. We call that gravy. If you are using less then 10 yards of 30" or so vinyl that the 'waste' isn't worth it..... you're doing a relatively small job. Most jobs should at least pay for the materials being bought with the hopes of having a lot left over. The next time you don't have to buy it, but you still charge out as if you did.

For instance, say you're doing a small 3' x 5' 2-sided sign..... the customer pays for a full sheet of substrate and a well rounded number to pay for the vinyl. You should be charging your input time, cutting time, weeding time, taping up time, prepping time, application time, clean up time and any other things you need to do to make a sign whole. Then you add in your overhead and waste factors like paper towels, weaselp!ss and other crap you need to get a job out. If you don't have enough in there to buy a full roll of vinyl, you are doing something terribly wrong..... well, not you, but your bosses.

Don't you just hate it when Gino is actually respectful and knowledgeable in the same thread??

Doc Savage

I was able to convert 3 of the 5 colors i have

3m 3630-137 European Blue = Avery UC 900-691-T Twilight Blue
3M 3630-127 Intense Blue = Avery UC 900-661-T Pantone 3005 C
3M 3630-7714 Blue Translucent = ? (My 3M Color Chart is from 2004....doesn't have this color in it to compare.)
3M VPT10222 Translucent Vinyl = ? ( Dont see anything like this in my chart. It is supposed to be a light blue though.)
3M 3630-73 Dark Red = Avery UC 900-430-T

Anyone have an updated Color Chart that can convert these 2 colors to Avery for me?

3630-7714 and VPT10222 are custom colors. The 3630-7714 is not something that 3M normally stocks. They spec it at a 3000 square feet minimum order. It sounds like you are doing a logo for One Main Financial. They have their own colors that much be purchased from an approved supplier. We have several of these contracts with the company I work for and if this is the case you are not going to find an exact match. According to 3M 3630-7714 is PMS 299c if this helps.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

This is where profits come from. If a job uses a specialty roll, you charge for that roll knowing there is left over material but it might NOT get used ... someone comes in with something requiring transluscent ... you still charge for materials used since if they become a regular user of that material you will need to replace it (that being point one) but it keeps your price level up and garners you more profit on the rest of the roll in case you don't need to re-order it(point 2).

I mean heck ... I hope you're not ordering vinyl per job since as others have stated, usually your first job per roll should cover the costs of all the materials that you have to order of full rolls.